• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Remember

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
a couple of years ago when we were discussing calf prices on here and I said calves need to hit $2.00 a pound.

Well this past week a load of calves came down here into Ontario (maybe landed in Quebec) from Western Canada and they almost hit the magic number.

They were 480 lbs and cost $2.03 landed into the barn. There would be about $12/cwt trucking in there though.

Where are you located? I think it is coming everywhere. I saw some 4 wts hit 1.69 last wk. Crazy to think a man could get $1000 for a calf coming off the cow.

We are an hour west of Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario. The calf run hasn't really started here yet but what has gone through the ring so far is trading in the $1.50 -$1.70 range for 5 wgts.

How many years of this will it take to make back what we lost from '03 to now? I mean those of us north of the 49th?

4Diamond said:
Crazy to think a man could get $1000 for a calf coming off the cow.

even crazier to think fuel is $4.00+

pickups $45,000.00 +

tractors........ well, you get the point! :shock: :shock:

Went to the yards last week to check out the prices,top price i seen was a group of black baldie steer calves weighing 375 pounds and sold for $2.20 a pound.

3words said:
Went to the yards last week to check out the prices,top price i seen was a group of black baldie steer calves weighing 375 pounds and sold for $2.20 a pound.

375 x $2.20 = $825 and zero cents for a very lightweight calf.

:shock:

But I like it. :) Is this what you call paying the piper?

burnt said:
3words said:

375 x $2.20 = $825 and zero cents for a very lightweight calf.

:shock:

But I like it. :) Is this what you call paying the piper?

The last few years a guy with that small of calves,would not have said a word after his calves had left the ring.After that pen of calves left the ring,it sure wasn't hard to figure out who the owner was of those calves.He was some happy,and everyone knew it.

In my part of the country people are doing the same thing with goats. We import something like 80% of the goat meat eaten in this country. Some really smart people are getting a piece of that and making out alright.

bgc said:
In my part of the country people are doing the same thing with goats. We import something like 80% of the goat meat eaten in this country. Some really smart people are getting a piece of that and making out alright.

Tried that route once. The parasites ate us alive. We tried many different types of deworming.

Latest posts