• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

removable axles on working alleyway

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Longrope

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of removable axles for working tubs or alleys. I have a 32 ft long alley that has a axle under it already but is a pain to hook up and unhook. Looking for something simple but strong . Have above average welding skills so not afraid to try anything esp. if I have a pic. I should mentoin the alley is made from 2 7/8 pipe. Thanks.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but in my opinion, a setup like Daniels uses where the axles are a fixed part of the alley might be worth looking into. 32 feet of drillstem alley has to weigh right up there...

Would this alley be something that would be pulled by a vehicle with hydraulics?

Could you put axles that pivoted so you could push and pull them with a cylinder? We have a old Ranger chute that the axle would jack down with a long bottle type jack and hooks on a lever would lock it in place.

How far south of the Canadian border are you?

Our Real chute has stub axles with a 5/8" pin. You use a jackall to lift each side of the chute, slide the axle into the pipe and pin. It is pretty fast, but for my money I would prefer the tor-flex variety. I think a round stub on them, could be inserted into the tubing and then hook the front, jack the back and the axles should drop into place ready to pin. They would give a bit of cushion on the road as well.

To answer Big Muddy rancher hyd. are not an option due to costs(this is the neighbors alley, I am just doing some modifications for him). And I am approx. 150 miles south of Canada. 300 yards from the Mt border house sits in Nd. Half of the ranch is in Mt the other half in Nd. The axle currently sits the entire width of the alley(approx. 32 inches wide). The axle is one soild unit but I am thinking of stub axle on each side and a jack to lift individually on each side but I am thinking that the alley will tip too far over when taking off one side at a time.

Longrope said:
To answer Big Muddy rancher hyd. are not an option due to costs(this is the neighbors alley, I am just doing some modifications for him). And I am approx. 150 miles south of Canada. 300 yards from the Mt border house sits in Nd. Half of the ranch is in Mt the other half in Nd. The axle currently sits the entire width of the alley(approx. 32 inches wide). The axle is one soild unit but I am thinking of stub axle on each side and a jack to lift individually on each side but I am thinking that the alley will tip too far over when taking off one side at a time.
Ours is like that with a 1/4 tub that sticks out to the right hand side. The stubs work ok, you just have to block the off tire so it doesn't skid away from the jack. I will try to get some pics for you.

My old mixer wagon has a coller over the spindle which is slid thru the main axel tube. There is a hole drilled through everything and one 1/2" bolt holds it in. Pretty simple and slick. If I were making what you are I'd make the whole unit hinge like these fancy fish-houses we have here.They use a boat winch and a hinge point pretty slick but harder to explain.

Latest posts