• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rhino or Gator?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The kubotas are really nice. A lot of power too. We hauld close to 1000 pounds of firewood and probably a 200 pound trailer like nothing was behind us. Just wish there was more room in the bed of the kubota. Oh yeah speaking of the bed, a hydraulic powered dump bed comes in handy.

I have a 825i JD gator and really like it! Ours has a roof and a half windsheild. The half windsheiuld works great, stops the wind in your face yet you don't have to look through a dirty window.

Didn't like the door on some machines, a pain when you are getting off and on a lot when fencing etc.

Soapweed said:
ranch77rocket said:
I bought a used Rhino about a year ago. It's been alright, but I don't like the small payload (only about 400 lbs.) and the small cargo box. The engine is right between the seats which limits you to a two seater plus they're noisy and you get a lot of unwanted heat off of the engine when the weather is warm. When I trade it off, it won't be on another Rhino. I'm leaning towards a Ranger.

Polaris Rangers are very good outfits. They seat three people, and haul a thousand pounds in the box, plus they are the smoothest riding of any of the UTVs. They make ranching fun. :)

Well- after 7 months of checking out makes of vehicles- dealerships- and procrastinating- yesterday I finally made the move... I have a local Gator and Rhino dealer- but after seeing how they work for Soap and others- liking the bench seats and better ability to load in the horse trailer I decided to go to Havre and bought a mid size Ranger 800... And after I mentioned to my Bride that they have them with power steering and extra springs/shocks- I ended up with the LE model...
So far- so good... Seems like it could be a handy outfit-- and a lot easier on my arthritic knees than the 4-wheelers...

I just hit the 50 hour mark on my new mid sized 800. I have put a lot of salt out this summer with it and I really like it. But I have to say changing the oil filter on it is one pain in the rear. I'm still mad just thinking about it! You'll like it OT. It's a good machine.

Oldtimer said:
Soapweed said:
ranch77rocket said:
I bought a used Rhino about a year ago. It's been alright, but I don't like the small payload (only about 400 lbs.) and the small cargo box. The engine is right between the seats which limits you to a two seater plus they're noisy and you get a lot of unwanted heat off of the engine when the weather is warm. When I trade it off, it won't be on another Rhino. I'm leaning towards a Ranger.

Polaris Rangers are very good outfits. They seat three people, and haul a thousand pounds in the box, plus they are the smoothest riding of any of the UTVs. They make ranching fun. :)

Well- after 7 months of checking out makes of vehicles- dealerships- and procrastinating- yesterday I finally made the move... I have a local Gator and Rhino dealer- but after seeing how they work for Soap and others- liking the bench seats and better ability to load in the horse trailer I decided to go to Havre and bought a mid size Ranger 800... And after I mentioned to my Bride that they have them with power steering and extra springs/shocks- I ended up with the LE model...
So far- so good... Seems like it could be a handy outfit-- and a lot easier on my arthritic knees than the 4-wheelers...

Congratulations on purchasing a fine vehicle, Oldtimer. We have three of them, and use all of them every day. One thing you might want to have on hand is the stabilizer bar that goes from side to side on the back of the outfit. They have a way of breaking, but are easy to replace. If you change oil on your own machine, be sure to use a wrench to tighten the oil filter. Finger tight is not good enough. We found this out the hard way. :(

In my present condition of only being able to get around with a walker, due to West Nile, the Polaris Ranger makes the difference of me being useful or not. They are kind of a glorified wheelchair for me. Fortunately my right leg works better than my left. This allows me to use the gas pedal and the brake, so once aboard, I am about as good a cowboy as I ever was. :wink: Gates are a hassle. Has anyone out there ever tried to open a wire gate while using a walker? It is a slow process, especially if the grass is tall or if there are any weeds. Closing the gate is even more perplexing, but possible. Here are a couple pictures I took today while experiencing the exhilarating freedom provided by my Polaris Ranger.

Oldtimer, I hope you like your Ranger as well as we like ours. Otherwise, I might feel a little responsible if you don't. :wink:

Roomtocarryalongawalker800x600_zps310afb49.jpg

Room to carry along a walker. I was even able to get my chaps on today, as it was a bit brisk outside in the wind.
Kindoflikelookingbetweenmyhorsesears800x600_zpse79b0ff2.jpg

Kind of like looking between my horse's ears, only not quite the same.
Drivingcattle800x600_zpscf0c4f5b.jpg

Driving cattle. There is no way I could get on a horse right now, so at least I can help this way.

I know a guy that just bought a new Honda Big Red 700. It has a glass cab and heater and he just loves it. It is his first side by side so he has no comparison but it is doing everything he wants. Only complaint is it is a little noisy. We have Polaris Ranger and I thought it rode about the same and I like the tranny in the Big Red better. But a lot of features of the Ranger I like better.

We have a new 2014 Ranger 900 coming in this week. I heard they are way quiter and ride better than our old 700(hard to believe). Can't wait to get it home. We also get the full cab and heater and would not own one without them. We use the thing all year round and it is awesome in the cold and wet conditions. One of the those things you ponder about buying becasue not sure it they are worth the money, then when you have it you wonder how you got along without it.

Ps. the big red was considerable cheaper that our Ranger but we did get the LE package(fancier model)

Latest posts