• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

rhubarb custard pie--nr especially, but any of you...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Chuckie

Reaction score
i've never met anyone who has this recipe, but plenty that want it. it's originally from my great-grandmother (i'm pretty sure, but not positive), who's people came here from england.

for a 9" pie:

beat slightly:
3 eggs
add:
2 2/3 tbsp milk
mix together and stir in:
2 c. sugar
4 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp nutmeg
mix in:
4 c cut-up rhubarb

pour into 9" pie shell, dot with butter, top with lattice-top.

bake at 400* 50-60 minutes. serve warm (but not hot or the custard doesn't set), or cold..either way it's WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMM :D :D
just stepped outside to look at the tiny rhubarb shoots i just planted and do not know if i have the patience to wait til they are ready...may have to go "find" me some!!

Come over and get some, don't think I can send it in the mail. We have it growing everywhere. Even the old homesteads still have it growing. That stuff can with stand drought, hey, maybe we should teach these cows to make pies and eat that stuff? Those plants have to be a hundred years old, no care and they are still growing.

Chuckie, I'll give your recipe a whirl which calls for an extra egg and milk compared to mine. Always room for improvement and cholesterol!

I just wrote a note to my folks that their rhubarb plant hand-me-downs are still going strong despite being moved each time we moved. I have noticed though that they do best in deeply prepared soil so this Fall they'll be moved AGAIN after some double digging, my favorite :cry: activity in this clay soil.

We threw some fertilizer on ours last summer, and they looked like they were straight from Jurassic Park!

Rhubarb custard pie is wonderful. My Mom used to make it, but I lost the recipe. I'll try this one. It sounds good.

sw said:
Come over and get some, don't think I can send it in the mail. We have it growing everywhere. Even the old homesteads still have it growing. That stuff can with stand drought, hey, maybe we should teach these cows to make pies and eat that stuff? Those plants have to be a hundred years old, no care and they are still growing.

i am off saturday, sunday, monday and tuesday....so, if you hear a knocking on the door and you see some gal standing on your porch with a basket in hand...it's ME!!!!! :D

Reading this makes my mouth water and I have to share my recipe with you. I got this when I was first married from two older Norwegian ranch women and they got it from their mothers.

You can still find most old homestead sites by rhubarb that has survived drought, grasshoppers, bitter cold and neglect - and still tastes great when you cook up a batch.

Around here, we call it pie plant and this recipe can be divided in half, baked in pie tins and viola!-it becomes a delicious custard pie that has been served to branding, thrashing, and shearing crews in this neighborhood for well over a hundred years. Enjoy!

Rhubarb Dessert

Crust for 9x13 pan, preferably not aluminum.
1 ½ cups flour
5 T. powdered sugar
¾ cup melted butter
Mix together and pat into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

2 cups sugar
6 T. flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
3 eggs – beat well, but don't add to the dry ingredients until the crust is done.
Then add 4 cups finely chopped rhubarb, mix everything together fast and pour over crust.

Bake for 40 min. at 350 degrees.

i'm gonna try that LB, for the next office potluck--easier than making 2 piecrusts (and i won't buy 'em frozen). might even try it out here because between the baby boy and girl, they go thru 2 pies in 24 hrs :roll:

but i'm with you, nr: who wants to donate some plants? i've been thinking about where i'd put them for almost 6 yrs and haven't figured it out yet, but maybe if i had one i had to plant i'd make a decision :)

i have heard that they're a pain to start however. all you guys with your 100-yr old plants don't have that problem.....

i found a cool gardening forum today: www.gardenguides.com. it's kinda like this with everyone talking about gardens. check it out...

wish my hay crop looked as good as my rhubarb does, its amazing what a little rain will do for it. :wink:

Latest posts