• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rito 707's in volume!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

river rat

Reaction score
I attended Spring Lake Angus production sale in Nebraska Saturday. They sold 25 direct son's and daughter's of the old Rito 707 bull. The 11 bulls averaged $3772, and the 14 heifers averaged a whopping $8917. My teenage son and I went down looking for a couple heifer's to play with for a few years, but it cost WAY to much to play. They were all ET calves out of elite cows from Schaffs, Jorgensens, and Sinclairs. It was very interesting to see that old of bloodlines being used on some modern genetics. They were very masculine(bulls) and quite feminine and powerful(heifers) I don't imagine I will ever get the chance to see that many of that style of cattle in one place again, so I'm glad I went, and anyone who is intrigued by bloodlines of Angus would of enjoyed it too.

That would be exciting to see! I am a Rito 707 fan and have been for years.
One thing that convinced me of the good in that bull was when several
years ago someone interviewed some of the big players in the Angus
seedstock business. They asked each one what they thought was the best
bull they ever raised (or used) was; when the got to Dale Davis he
replied, "Rito 707". Those of you that don't know, Dale was a Pioneer
breeder in the Angus business. He has raised many fine bulls over the
years past 707. I was really impressed with his answer so I started
studying all I could find on 707. He is an Angus bloodline STAR.

Another older bull that I have always liked is Viking GD60 (Denny has
some of those) and GDAR Rito 054. I called Russ DeNowh once and talked
to him about 054 vs 2100. He told me "I have never culled a bad bag
cow out of 054, but I have 2100." 054 was a real cow maker. The bulls
weren't outstanding, but the cows sure were. O54 was bought by
John Hamilton, Cedar Hills Ranch and when he disbursed in Miles City
several years back, he had lots of people on the seats vying for the
054 daughters.

I was at the sale also seating next to the guy with the o2 tank in front of Walter Shealy of Block Groove Angus. The guys I can with got the lot 2d heifer at $5100 & the lot 24 bull at $5500. Any 707 that didn't bring $5000 was no sale so most of the sons. 30 of 42 bulls were no sale. Gene said 2 weeks before the sale he had already spent $30,000 on adverting plus the $4500 per hour for sale on the net & RFD TV. I think he would have been better off to sell PT like he always had. He averaged $3,100 last year PT with no ad cost. I was nice to see the 707's but the heifers were way to fat for my taste, they were ready for the hook. The bulls were in very good shape. I really like the lot 23 bull he sold for $2300 & was no sale but I don't need a bull.

Not all the 707's under $5,000 were no sales, because we bought lot 3A for $3,000 and he's at my house now so that isn't correct on the bulls at least.

Just going off what Gene told me. I got the list of no sale bulls for another breeder & have never looked at it other than to see if lot 7A & lot 23 were on it & they were. My bad not try start any rumors. River rat did you think the heifers were to fat.

My teenage son and I attenended with the thought to purchase a couple if the price was within reason, which it was not. Nevertheless I don't know if I would have bought one anyway, because if what I've been told about developing heifers is correct, they were WAY TOO FAT!!! I've never seen the repercussions of developing heifers like that, but I can't believe it could have been beneficial to there longevity in any way. Those two coming 2 yr. old in July were weighing over 1500 lbs. already, and knowing what 707's mature at, that was bigger than they should ever get.

I'm a fan of the old Rito 707 bull and over the years he definitely has the most influence of any sire in our herd... Many of the cattle we now run go back to the good old cows Dixie Erica CH 1019 (707 Granddaughter) and her daughter Dixie Erica of CH 6180 (Shoshone Viking GD60 granddaughter)-- and the majority of calves I'm now getting this spring are sired by our Juanada Rito 06X bull which traces back over 20 times to the old Rito 707...

So far they have sure treated me well as good old keep you in business genetics...

I had one cow that went to 707 over 70 times, I have a daughter of hers we breed back to a line breed rito Jorgenson bull so I'm sure she goes back to 707 120 times or more.

oldblood said:
I had one cow that went to 707 over 70 times, I have a daughter of hers we breed back to a line breed rito Jorgenson bull so I'm sure she goes back to 707 120 times or more.

Oldblood-- It finally quit snowing- warmed up for a day or two and dried out a little- and as I was working around the corral I got a picture of the little bull that traces back over 20 times to Rito 707....

He's a 3 year old bull and we got quite a number of calves from this Spring- and I will use him some this year too... Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353.... He's about as close to a sleep all night calving ease/heifer bull as you can find....His calves out of heifers have averaged right around 70lbs- and I never saw a heifer calving ...

He is sure starting to look more like his grandsire Sinclair Rito Legacy every day...

Going to breed some of his daughters this spring- which will show the final answer on him 10 years down the line....

Nice bull oldtimer. I looked at his pedigree, it was refreshing to see a animal without all the new junk AI stud bulls in the pedigree.

Latest posts