• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rodeo Story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
This is a copy of my post in the ranch section. I figured it probably went better here.

I went to my first rodeo this year, and being a liberal tree hugger:) I thought that I was really going to NOT enjoy the event. However I had free tickets and it was a chance to get out of the house.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time chasing my toddler around the fairground, but of what I saw I was pleasently suprised. Nothing offended my liberal sensabilities (not even the patriotic music;))

The best part was at the very begining, when the Announcer (probably has a better title than that) rode out on a horse, said his peice and rode off. The beauty and majesty of that horse gallaping just a short distance was a wonder to behold. All of you who own horses are lucky beyond belief just to get to behold their grace and beauty. It took my breath away. (Not that I'd never seen it on TV- but this was real and now and here) I"m sure you don't have time to just sit around and watch the horses run all day, but if you get a chance, just apreciate it for a moment.

I don't know if this comment really belongs here, but I figured that saying something postive, on my first day to the board couldn't hurt.

Thanks to the rodeo, I am now a horse fan in a way that I never was before.

-bunny

Rodeo's are definitely more wholesome than bullfighting. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, but I'm rooting for the bull rather than the spaniard.

I can understand killing an animal for food, but making a spectacle of it causes me to question spaniards' collective psychological health.

Welcome Bunny,

There's all sorts here, even folks from other countries like Texas :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

Your mention of being liberal reminded me of a few things. One time we were elk hunting....I grew up in a Rural logging area in NE Oregon. All the time growing up we were really drilled on stewardship. Anyway, we were talking about an area that really needed to be thinned, but wasn't. The next year it burnedand was a real mess. Accross the fence, a private logging company had cleared a spot and it looked horrendous. Point was that niether the closing of logging nor what the private company did was anywhere close to what I had benn taught as appropriate. We lived in the same area we worked and recreated in....So we truly cared about the effects of all activities.

What struck me is Doc Hatfield in Oregon started inviting environmentalists out to talk openly about what he was doing on his place. In the discussions, they found they had more in common and also learned that one on one they copuld get along very well. It is unfortunate that the noise of the extremists on each side make all the noise and headlines. We can use resources, but abusing them is no good. It always amazes me that a group can marvel and proclaim the wonderous resiliwncy of nature after watching it recover from a burn or Volcano (Mt St Helens in our area), but a cow or cut tree is going to ruin it forever........

Anyway, my point is cooler heads on both sides would be better than most of what I see. We probably have more in common than we could imagine, but the politicians and psiuedo media seem to get more by pitting sides against sides.... Hmmmm......My soapbox is gettting tiring to sit on, LOL......Welcome to the forum,

PPRM

Welcome Bunny, glad to see you gave rodeo a look and found it to be comfortable for you.

PPRM,

Dr. Hatfield is darn sure one of the most low key knowlegeable people I`ve ever heard of. His simple approach sure can be used by many.

Maybe it is just unique to Oregon and Washington, but the branded Beef Programs and Farmers Market approaches sem to be working. Something about getting face to face with customers, same approach worked with the environmentalists he has worked with. If people are face to face they get more comfortable as they are able to read intentions better,

PPRM

Bunny---

I commend you on taking a chance and actually going and seeing what it is all about before deciding. I've talked to many people that don't want to investigate the truth, they just want to blame. I've assured them all that if they would go they would see that the animals are treated better then the cowboys.

P.S. When I die-- I would love to come back as a bucking bull. Just to know what it's like to be the center of the world for a contractor. If my hubby treated me as well.... holly crap would I be happy.

When I was single,......

I used to tell lots of ladies, "I can tell you aren't being treated right, come with me nd I'll neglect ya and take ya for granted in totally new and unique ways"

My wife took me up on it and is living proof, Hmmmmmm Better post a trailer wiring story, LOL.......

:) :) :) :) :)

PPRM

PPRM said:
When I was single,......

I used to tell lots of ladies, "I can tell you aren't being treated right, come with me nd I'll neglect ya and take ya for granted in totally new and unique ways"

My wife took me up on it and is living proof, Hmmmmmm Better post a trailer wiring story, LOL.......

:) :) :) :) :)

PPRM

So the PPRM must stand for Pretty Persuasive Romeo Man? :wink: :)

Latest posts