• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rodeo wreck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
Last saturday night I entered the team roping at our home town Rodeo.My horse didnt care for town and was being an ass he gets nerved up in roping boxes so before the rodeo started I wanted to ride him into the box.Well he reared over backwards on me and broke my hip in 5 places just got out of the hospital this afternoon.It sure hurts but it didnt break the hip socket about an inch on each side.I'm not done haying and I have to stay off my left leg for at least 8 weeks.My friends,wife and kids my father in law are all pulling together to finish my haying then it sounds like a bunch of them are going to haul all the hay in.Sure makes you feel good to know the help is there.I will be in debt to ALL of them for a very long time..

Denny said:
Last saturday night I entered the team roping at our home town Rodeo.My horse didnt care for town and was being an ass he gets nerved up in roping boxes so before the rodeo started I wanted to ride him into the box.Well he reared over backwards on me and broke my hip in 5 places just got out of the hospital this afternoon.It sure hurts but it didnt break the hip socket about an inch on each side.I'm not done haying and I have to stay off my left leg for at least 8 weeks.My friends,wife and kids my father in law are all pulling together to finish my haying then it sounds like a bunch of them are going to haul all the hay in.Sure makes you feel good to know the help is there.I will be in debt to ALL of them for a very long time..

Dang Denny! Hate to hear that! Be glad you got got friends and family to help you out. Hope you heal fast and completely, Oh yea, don't do anything dumb like get out of bed too soon. Winter will be here before you know it!

Wow, Denny, you REALLY got in a bad wreck. Sure sorry to hear that.

Our daughter tried to help some kids with a box sour horse several years ago. He took a big lunge out of the box and started bucking and bucked her off, injuring her hip. She is still paying for that. Her hip really bothers her yet. She should have known better than to have gotten on a strange horse, especially in that situation.

Those box sour horses are nothing to mess with. The pressure on rope horses is IN THE BOX. Not enough scoring, standing, relaxing is a lot of what causes the problem. We used to be great friends with an older PRCA rodeo cowboy who re-trained box sour horses. And he got a lot of them; most he could fix, some he couldn't. But he also worked with the owners, so they understood what they did that caused the problem. It was real interesting, watching what he did with those horses. It is sure better if they never get upset in the box.

Sorry to hear of the mishap. Do you have row crops to harvest this fall?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.These kind of things always seem to happen at the worst time!
I guess I'm behind the times.I was in the service with a bunch of Minnesotans from the west central part of the state and I dont think any of them knew the front of a horse from the rear.Later on I know a lot of people sort of went from farming to ranching.Has your counry always been more into ranching?
Wish I was close enough to be some help!

Sure sorry to hear about your bad luck. Nice to hear you have a good group of support to finish your fall work.

Gosh Denny, Hope you heal quickly and sure take care of yourself. I have found that I have no problem going back to the round pen and working my horse. I was riding my palimino last week in the correl and she is used to going out and moving along on a trot and she was a real butt head. Everytime I felt she was going to dump me I got off and worked her in the round pen. Once or twice of that and she realized it was ok and alot better for her(she is kinda lazy) just to relax and walk and do pitally things. Before I would of cowboyed up and probally gotten dumped.
Sour box rope horse are scary. My rope horse in high school was no nonesence. YOu had your rope ready before you got in the box .... You had your calf ready before you got in the box... YOu rode in turned, he looked at the chute, you nodded and rode.. And you had better be swinging. He gave you one chance and that was it... If you changed anything he got really crazy and would blow through the scoreline and you were done. He would give you 110%, but you didn't do any showing off or fooling around...

Wouda, Couda, Shouda

I could tell you that you should have acclmated the horse to the new enviroment - - - but I'm sure you have told yourself that many times already. Remember to thank the good Lord that while he did allow a mishap he still made it a recoverable experience.

I flipped a goldwing motorcycle (entirely my fault) end over end in 1994 and two hospitals and countless doctors stated I would never walk again - - - 21 days later I looked like Arti Johnson from Laugh in but I was walking. It took 2 years before I was able to walk normally but while I still have pain I am able to do just about anything.

I'm glad you have a geat support group for aid. While I was recovering several oppertunities I would never have considered opened up to me and changed the direction of my life much for the better. It was hard for me to see at the time but hindsite is 20/20 and I now feel the accident worked to my advantage in the long run.

God bless and quick healing

There's a Dr. buys those kind of horses-Dr. Ballards-I bought a big gelding that was 'box sour' once-his problem was that he just wasn't broke well enough to start roping on. Man I feel your pain well somewhat my hip is one thing I haven't broken yet-just be glad it wasn't worse.

Dang, Denny!!!! Sure hope you are on the mend and that you are TAKING IT EASY AND DOING AS THE DOC SAYS!!!!! Physical therapy and a good spirit are the best pieces of advice i can give to you!!! Do your exercises and that hip will be up and at 'em before you know it!! Wish I was closer and could offer some help with the haying!! But, since i am not, i wish you the very best...you AND your family!!! :D

Denny,

Hoping for a speedy recovey and glad you have lots of good friends....As for everyone, give Denny some slack.....Taking a horse to town and a rodeo is different than the home pen.....99.9% of the time, with a litlte work the transition goes well. He was taking the right first step when he got to town...If it was a young horse, hey they sometimes have their days. Often, they can be doing great and then one day have a brain fart... Denny is really the only one who was there that can say what he might of done different. In my mind, if I have a horse ready to take to a Rodeo, ridng into the box to sit there isn't unthinkable...

Horses good in the Box is a HUGE deal to me, I spend a lot of time and do a ton of things to make them good....However, it can take just one little inadvertant thing to start them south...A Rodeo with all the extra commotion and nerves is a big place this happens...

Here's togetting back to doing the things you Love quickly, take care Denny,

PPRM

Denny, sorry to hear your troubles. Word of advice, make sure and do all physical therapy that they want you to do. Don't cut any corners or you will pay for it.

Most, not all soured rope horses are not rode enough outside the arena. They need miles put on them working cows, gives them something to do besides the arena. People start them too early and expect too much to soon. Same with barrel horses, they need some wet saddle blankets doing something besides barrels. I always ride a green rope horse back in the box and unsaddle or loosen the cinch when I am done. Let him stand there for 15 or more minutes before I put him up. Also turn a bunch of steers out and just let him stand in the box, makes them wait for your cue.

Then there are some like maybe yours that just don't enjoy it.

Denny, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings... I just wanted to let you know that I have been in your shoes and you're not alone...I've pulled some real boners and have felt bad about it... It could happen to anyone....

Sure is great to have family, friends and neighbors-- been in the same situation several times (with broken bones)--and I will owe some of them all my life for all they did....Never was off my feet 8 weeks- 6 weeks after one knee surgery, but it can be done-even got some braiding done again, but that was PCD (pre computer days) :lol: --Good luck and heal fast-- we expect we will be hearing much more from you now since you have unlimited ranchers.net time..... :)

Sorry to hear about your painful accident but thankful it wasn't worse, Denny.
Be sure you report any unusual symptoms to the doc to nip any potential problems in the bud. I hope you heal really well and find some constructive things to do to pass the time. There is always us at Ranchersnet though this might not be constructive!

(Have you taken The Color Test yet on the Coffee Shop Forum? We want to hear how you score while on opiates! :wink:)

Denny, sorry to hear of your mishap. Being boogered up is no fun. Praying for a safe and speedy recovery for you.

Read lots of good books during your recovery (when you're not on the bull session), and do your exercises. Be thankful for your nearby friends who are easing your work-load. Ponder life's mysteries and problems; you might very well come up with some real Einstein-type solutions. This might all turn out to be a blessing in disguise. :? :wink: :)

Juan said:
Sorry to hear of your troubles.These kind of things always seem to happen at the worst time!
I guess I'm behind the times.I was in the service with a bunch of Minnesotans from the west central part of the state and I dont think any of them knew the front of a horse from the rear.Later on I know a lot of people sort of went from farming to ranching.Has your counry always been more into ranching?
Wish I was close enough to be some help!

In the 60's land was cheap and in our area alot of people moved in from Nebraska to ranch and since the dairy buyout the only thing anyone around here does is raise grass and cattle..

feeder said:
Sorry to hear of the mishap. Do you have row crops to harvest this fall?

Just 40 acres of silage corn but I always have a group of friends who love chopping corn.It is about as much fun as Branding so we have plenty of help for that thanks.Denny

Northern Rancher said:
There's a Dr. buys those kind of horses-Dr. Ballards-I bought a big gelding that was 'box sour' once-his problem was that he just wasn't broke well enough to start roping on. Man I feel your pain well somewhat my hip is one thing I haven't broken yet-just be glad it wasn't worse.

This horse is an excellent pasture horse but he's just not ready for the rodeo scene and to tell the truth neither am I.I will stick to doctering my own cows and stay away from rodeo's Imagine the Belt Buckle I could have bought with my doctor bills :lol:

Denny, that is what I call an infallible attitude. You're a good man, and they won't be able to keep a good man down for long.

Don't get in a hurry, though and do things too soon. If you have to do it over, it won't be good and will take much longer in the long run. So take it easy, and do as you are told!!

Latest posts