• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

rope n choke or the iron monstor?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rope or chute

• rope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chute

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HorseShoer

Reaction score
Since it seem we gots folks from all over I was a curious to how folks prefer to brand a calf or work a cow. Myself havin worked outifts from Nevada wagon crews to Idaho family ranches, Ive got this theroy. if it caint be done from a Horseback i aint gonna do it~! yes, i have my share of standin at the chute dodgin flyin handels and tryin to keep from being the next recipiant of the 8 way shot, and ended up with more warbex on me than the cow, so im quite content loadin cows in the chute ( as long as the corrals are setup to be done a horseback) even at brandins, no ground crew fer me, I rope n drag, let the mexicans wemon n children be ground crew~!

Just once i wanna hot shot the battrees aint dead in

I think there is a place for both.

I ain"t nearly as good help afoot as I am horseback. :wink:

I would never ask or tell someone to do a job that I wouldn't, ie. running the chute or giving the shots or working the ground. But then we don't have any paid slaves around these parts.

Seems like many think that if they are paying any kind of a wage, those who are working for them do not deserve the same respect or dignity as anyone else and must be beneath those who are payinbg the wages. I ain't buying it! No one is any better or worse than I am. Thats the basic principle of this country.

Where I was in California recently, they had a Mexican gentleman who cleaned stalls and that was about it. The treated him about like a dog. Never said anything to him except to give an order and provided him with room and board. Maybe he wanted it that way. I wouldn't and/or couldn't do that whether I was working for someone or someone was working for me.

I won't work for anyone, but will work with anyone. If I don't like the system, I won't go back. But it ain't my place to tell the boss that he/she is wrong.

HorseShoer said:
Since it seem we gots folks from all over I was a curious to how folks prefer to brand a calf or work a cow. Myself havin worked outifts from Nevada wagon crews to Idaho family ranches, Ive got this theroy. if it caint be done from a Horseback i aint gonna do it~! yes, i have my share of standin at the chute dodgin flyin handels and tryin to keep from being the next recipiant of the 8 way shot, and ended up with more warbex on me than the cow, so im quite content loadin cows in the chute ( as long as the corrals are setup to be done a horseback) even at brandins, no ground crew fer me, I rope n drag, let the mexicans wemon n children be ground crew~!

Just once i wanna hot shot the battrees aint dead in

Horseshoer, I got quite a chuckle from your post. You sound like alot of claimabees I have rode with. If a feller is not good enough to get on the ground and get alittle sand in his rowels then chances are he's not much good ahorseback.
Your post tells me alot about you and what shape your fences,corrals and water are probably in. I don't know where you're from but you should stay there cause here in the high plains your kind would have a hard time getting an interview on any ranch from Canada to Texas.

Also your commant on the Mexican's women and kids tells me you're a bigot,racist and a chauvanist. Who shoe's your horses for you? Your MOM?????

It's all a mistake on your part. You see Ranchers.net is for hard working people who honestly care about the cattle industry. You're just alittle confused and got on the wrong forum,Cow-chip.

Drag your plastic saddle else where,Pup. :x :x :x

Whoooeee!

Man, ol' pard, when you turn loose on someone, you sure don't hold back, do you? :lol:

I feel the same way. It would sure be nice to be the boss and tell everyone else to get afoot and do the work, but I guess most of us ain't made that way.

As fer the wimmen and kids, around these parts, they are some of the best help you can get. I'll help wrassle calves all day long with several of the neighboring , small, petite wives and daughters. They are good hands and size don't make no more difference wrasslin' calves than it does in a dog fight. Grit is what counts and gets it done.

And by the way, to those who don't know, Saddle Tramp has been jinglin' his spurs around cow country fer a long time and I imagine if he chose to quit where he was at, there is a waitin' list of people and ranchs that would just love to have a good hand like him. He's a damn fine horse hand too. Soapweed is lucky to have him, and I believe he knows it. :wink:

Jinglebob and Saddletramp......My respect for both of you just went up 500%.RIGHT ON :clap:

Thanks Juan. I'll just bet you've got a few good female and young hands in your country too! :wink:

I sure would hate to call anyone too young as being to small or incapable of doing the work, as I'm gettin' kind'a old and i sure don't want to have to quit. I'm just lucky to have understanding neighbors who forgive my ineptness and lack of skill and let me rope a few calves and push cows up the chute. :wink:

Ditto Saddletramp--could not have said it any better. Yes, I have quite often thought the same about you-how fortunate Soapweed is to have a hand like you and I am very sure that he and his family greatly appriciate you!!

Rowdy Ranch said:
Ditto Saddletramp--could not have said it any better. Yes, I have quite often thought the same about you-how fortunate Soapweed is to have a hand like you and I am very sure that he and his family greatly appriciate you!!

We do. We have a lot of fun while we work and ride. Once in a while we tell each other the same stories we've told before, but as we get older we've forgotten the punch lines anyway, so it works out fine. :wink: :)

I believe saddletramp,to be a good judge of character..............good luck PS I kinda knew it would just be a matter of time,but I didnt figger saddle tramp :wink:

I love rufflein tail feathers~! I guess some of ya got me figured so ya think. I got a kick out of being knocked down a knotch er 2. But the only point i was tryin to make or really a question do ya brand calves or doctor a cow in a chute or do ya use a rope n git a lil western? And my preferance being doin it a horseback, Ive done my time on the ground knotchin n forkin ears, skinnin waddles, fightin vaccine gunns, pullin oysters, and chasin irons enuff to know that aint my rathers :roll: As far as being a bigot, yea i prolly do come off thata way, thers some good mex's out ther but ther few n far between. but i reckon i aint the only bigot, ya caint hire a white man to do the job, because they think they are above the job themselfs. and as far as the condition of corrals n fences? ya missed the point ther aint no corrals and fences are far n few between in a cow camp job, nuffin but gods wide open grazin, its damm nice to ride all day n not have to open a gate. Thats the way it oughta be , the way it used to be. n thats the way weve done it in the high country of Idaho n Nevada..... Like i pointd out folks here from all over doing things differnt in differnt places, jist wanted to see what ya all preferd. my way may not be yer way, but i dont live wher you do either.
As far as the plastic saddle? thats a good one a few of the folks i know will git a chuckle outa that un too.

why is it when ya take gloves off n set em down the cowdog steals only the right handed one?? n ya never find it

Dude...you're just diggin your hole deeper!!!

Besides...where did you come from with all that Howdy Doody lingo...a cheap western???

Some of us may stay horseback 90% of the time but we can speak the English language and not sound like a spaghetti western!!!....and what's with the use of "' mex" when referring to people of Mexican heritage.....by the by...that's a capital "M"!!!

You're a lil too cute talking for me shoer,I dont give a damn where your from....................good luck

Oh another cheap shot!!!! At the way he talks. He never claimed to be the best typist in the world. Heck I"m one of the worst and i can read it. Haha go back and read a few of my posts....I sound perdy daggum hicky if ya ask me.

DUDE????

so...should I be offended when someone refers to it as Tex....instead of takin the time to type out the whole word?

This is not somewhere that we hafta be politically correct is it? Or use spell check? Takes the fun out of the whole deal.

HorseShoer - - - I had to re read this a couple of times as I found it hard to believe you were this stupid.

I try very hard to get along with most people but I would really have a hard time getting along with you and would have to run you off before you got yourself or someone else hurt.

Good greif~! talk about kickin a ant pile then sittin in it. i guess shoulda payed closer attention in grammer class, and not skipped typing class to go fishin. Ima Dude, and been called cute.. and talk like howdy doody :? oh well been called werse things. I dont know why folks git so defensive over ropein vs chute.

no silly question this time or snappy sayin

8) I"m a headgate cattleman and wouldn"t give anybody a job I wouldn"t do myself. I am very fortunate to have good friends (some are even town boys) and neighbours who can help me . I envy you folks on here who can use a horse. I certianly can see when those animals can make working with cattle a lot easier :!: My neighbour is a pasture manager and came to my place to rope a runaway calf for me. He made itlook so easy but I knew it took a lot of skill :D

I had that soapweed outfit figured to be managed pretty tight, and Saddletramp sure comports himself well and represents the outfit well. I used to think Ol Soapweed was lucky to haul with Saddletramp, but really we're all defined by the company we keep.

Jinglebob, Saddletramp you guys make me proud to be a cowboy

Horseshoer, about the third thing that hit me about your post(others have been covered) if your such a great horseman, why do you care if the hot shot bateries work or not.
Bet you overuse the hotshot just like you overuse your jaw.

Shoer....are you blind also??? It's not your grammer but your INTENT of what you said.... basically that you're better than everybody else.

You may be convinced of it....but looks like you may be the only one. That'll soon get lonely...especially when it's time to work!

No one really bothers whether you need a rope or a chute...cause in a good operation you've got both and use both!

Horseshoer
well, to me, it makes lots of difference if you are talking of working cows or calves. With the cows, I would go for the chute any day, I would rather take my chanches dodging irons at the chute. Same for the larger calves.

Branding the young calves is a different story, but if you don't want to help with the ground crew, I don't need any of your help. At my brandings, the ropers trade off with the other jobs and the guy that don't work when he ain't ropin, won't be invited next time.

Further more, around here it is common for the older cowboys to spend their time on the ground crew and ask that their kid or grand kid to take their ropin time slot so that they (the kids) get more time doing the ropin.

Anyone who is in too much of a hurry or too danged LAZY to let the kids get some learnin ain't needed on my ranch! Branding calves is a job that should be and can be fun for all, not work. Why make it work for some while you are sitting on your lazy butt?

If your fences are few and far between, then you for sure need to have lots of range to ride cuz the production of the acres of what you have is gona not be much.

Latest posts