• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Round Bale Transport

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I think this may have been discussed on here awhile back, but we weren't thinking of getting one at that time. Our meadows are fairly rough and it would be nice to have something where we could put the bales in a group of 30, which is what we can load on our little semi truck and trailer to haul into the stack yard.

What is the best one to get? Mr. FH doesn't want anything with chains as he fears it would tear the net wrap. The Vermeer dealer in town told us about the Koyker and it looks good, but we don't know if it IS good--or the price of one. If it just hauled 7-8 bales that would be okay. If we could find a used one, that would be even better. Maybe someone has one that is going to a larger unit.

Anyway, please feel free to post any suggestions or comments. Better to know what is good up front. Thanks for your replies.

We use a buffalo round bale mover with the quarter turn arm and really like it. The down fall is it has the chain with little loops on top. If you run the tractor fast enough and pay attention it doesn't rip the net. But if you don't it will, straw bales are the worst. The ones with the push bar are nice.

This is called a Hayliner 2000, not sure if they are still made or not. It's been a good unit. I've seen them made by the same company that are half of this unit (as in hauls just the one row of bales) and that might be pretty handy if you are just moving the bales within the field. The bumpers would be pretty easy on net wrap I would think.

I have a 10 bale Pride of the Prairie.
http://www.cliffsweldinginc.com/category/self-unloading-bale-trailers/
It's been through a lot. Like my brother trying to dump one side because of a flat tire. He chained the opposite cradle at the back end and twisted the thing like a pretzel. My son rebuilt it. I like the duals Cliff has put on now. These trailers are popular in my area. Every now and then there will be one on
http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/ under the farm equipment listing.

Which ever one you decide on, just remember to make real wide turns when it's loaded. Too hard on wheel bearings if you don't. Trust me, I learn the hard way :cry: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
You could come for a visit if you get a Haukaas

Or check these out.
http://www.gobobpipe.com/hay-trailers-gobob-pipe-steel.htm

Where have you been all day???? :wink:

I looked at the bobpipe website and the Vermeer Dealer here was looking into the Koyker machine. I guess they don't make them any more. Too many problems. It looked pretty neat on the video.

I'll check into the one you mentioned....Maybe I can get HIM :wink: up there when I go to Las Vegas. He can't cook, you know. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
And he hates to gamble. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there a Haukaas website? Do you know, ballpark figure, how much they are? Are you recommending them? Are they available in the USA? It would cost a bunch to get it across the border, EH??? :D

edited to add; RSL posted the website. I should have read the posts from the top down instead of from the bottom up. :oops:

Do you have one of these, BMR? I take it you do...

DejaVu said:
Which ever one you decide on, just remember to make real wide turns when it's loaded. Too hard on wheel bearings if you don't. Trust me, I learn the hard way :cry: :wink:

Thanks for the heads up. Mr. FH is pretty slow and steady, however he is getting older and does some foolish things now and again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :wink:

DejaVu said:
I have a 10 bale Pride of the Prairie.
http://www.cliffsweldinginc.com/category/self-unloading-bale-trailers/
It's been through a lot. Like my brother trying to dump one side because of a flat tire. He chained the opposite cradle at the back end and twisted the thing like a pretzel. My son rebuilt it. I like the duals Cliff has put on now. These trailers are popular in my area. Every now and then there will be one on
http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/ under the farm equipment listing.

Thanks! I tried to do a seach on nextechclassifieds with no luck. However,'m not sure what to call these trailers exactly. Hard to do a search when you aren't sure of what the product is called. :p

I will show all these to Mr. FH. Thanks everyone for your input!! It is appreciated!

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
You could come for a visit if you get a Haukaas

Or check these out.
http://www.gobobpipe.com/hay-trailers-gobob-pipe-steel.htm

Where have you been all day???? :wink:

I looked at the bobpipe website and the Vermeer Dealer here was looking into the Koyker machine. I guess they don't make them any more. Too many problems. It looked pretty neat on the video.

I'll check into the one you mentioned....Maybe I can get HIM :wink: up there when I go to Las Vegas. He can't cook, you know. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
And he hates to gamble. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there a Haukaas website? Do you know, ballpark figure, how much they are? Are you recommending them? Are they available in the USA? It would cost a bunch to get it across the border, EH??? :D

edited to add; RSL posted the website. I should have read the posts from the top down instead of from the bottom up. :oops:

Do you have one of these, BMR? I take it you do...

No i don't have one. :(
I used to feed cattle with a fellow that endorses them but I haven't talked to him about it.

http://gobobpipe.com/images/2EZ-Bale-Mover-Hay-Hauler.jpg

I have 1 like this only its 30 years old hauls 4 large bales & will carry up in very wet ground & can move lots of hay in a day . You have to backup to fill it But cost was minimal & not many moving parts . You would have a hard time filling it with a pickup , you cant see the bales once you have 1 in the machine .

" It would cost a bunch to get it across the border, EH??? "

Good question----it used to be that if you were in Ag and brought something across for your own use, fairly simple and---I think--no cost, if it was used.

71813008_zpsf4ce6883.jpg
[/url]
How we did it out west. Move 6 at time 16 miles no damage to net.[/img]

What we found this morning was a used Farm King. Has had 600 bales through it. Belongs to the owner of one of the equipment companies in Wyoming. They usually have some used ones, but were all out, so he said he would consider selling his own and he would get one that hauls more. They put up a lot of hay, much more than we do.

This one has a chain but it does not have lugs, has a push off so it won't damage the net wrap*. It has a new style control box mounted in rubber, hauls 7 bales. He wants $15,500 for it, they sell for $18,000 new.

Here's a video of it, in case anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.farm-king.com/Region-US/hay_tools/round_bale_carriers/index.php

*The salesman told me that he thought it looked like it might nudge the netwrap when you go in at an angle. (whatever that means) but the guys looked at it and said it would be okay......they thought....... :D

So looks like the hunt is over. :D Thank you everyone for your input.
We really appreciate it!

We haven't bought it yet, so if you see something you don't like, please post it here before Monday morning. :D :p :wink:

My first thought is if a new one is $18,000 then $15,500 sounds high for a used one - - - is it almost new? What kind of warranty would he give? Could you try it for a day before buying to see if the wrap is OK?

if a person picked going across the field instead of driving down the windrows they wouldn't have to turn every bale. That looks to be where the net wrap will get messed up. Right at the start of the video some of the bales were messed a bit.
Has Mr FH modified his grapple for loading net wrap bales?

A place I used to buy hay took a pipe and cut holes in it where the teeth of the grapple would fit it and then used a light chain to hold it to the grapple. I was amazed at how it handled the bales without ripping the net.

Latest posts