• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

S J Res. 4

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
The US Senate just passed a Resolution of Disapproval to block USDA's Final Rule Reopening the Canadian Border.
52 to 46

I'm reading your post Tommy but I'm having trouble figuring out what that really means. Sorry, could you break that down for me.

They "passed" a resolution to "disaprove" to "block" and "opening". I'm really confused.

it will be interesting to see how the white house responds. could make quite clear gwb's response to the missile decision.

Dropping the ban on Canadian cattle will attach a "stigma" to all U.S. meat unless products from the two countries can be distinguished, says a U.S. federal judge who has temporarily blocked the resumption of trade.

"Once the Canadian beef is allowed to intermingle with U.S. meats, it will open a flood of speculation," U.S. district Judge Richard Cebull said in a 30-page decision released Thursday.

"Neither the contaminated meat nor the stigma associated with contaminated meat could be removed from the U.S. cattle industry and the substantial, irreparable injury will have occurred."

Cebull granted a preliminary injunction Wednesday on plans to resume trade March 7 in cattle under 30 months of age, thought to be at the lowest risk for contracting mad cow disease.

The case was sparked by R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America based in Montana, a group of ranchers that has long opposed reopening the border.

Cebull argued the U.S. Agriculture Department had a "preconceived intention" and rushed to resume trade "regardless of uncertainties in the agency's knowledge of the possible impacts on human and animal health."

"Deference cannot be given to any agency that has made the decision to open the border before completing the necessary scientific analysis of risks to human health. The USDA cannot favour trade with Canada over human and animal health within the U.S."

Tommy said:
The US Senate just passed a Resolution of Disapproval to block USDA's Final Rule Reopening the Canadian Border.
52 to 46

can you post a link Tommy or did you hear it on the news?........good luck

Maybe USDA should go back and start over from page one- the vote of no confidence in the Senate does not look good for them....

With Cebulls ruling and the possibility of appeal to the ninth circuit anything could come out--- The ninth might legislate a Country of Origin Law 10 times more strict than USDA wanted- or their own set of rules on Canadian beef- with the ninth appeals court you never know- anything could happen..... Think it is time for USDA to just back up and start over-- put a mandatory COOL into effect and then go about trying to open the border......

"Neither the contaminated meat nor the stigma associated with contaminated meat could be removed from the U.S. cattle industry and the substantial, irreparable injury will have occurred."

Ok, who wants to sue this judge. This looks alot like slander to me, I have never seen any proof that any beef FROM CANADA that has tested positive ever entered the US food system, or Canada'a for that matter.

It shows how biased the judge was, and who is in charge of the US international trade policy, one ill informed state judge. I quess the US state dept can all go home, cause we need to find a appropiate judge to buy and negotiate with. :wink:

i think canada's missile defence decision of last week made it a lot easier for senators to pass the resolution. lots of cards getting laid on the table. i hope canadians realize that the days of free and fair trade with the americans are past and we are part of the rest of the world now.

Hay Maker...can you post a link Tommy or did you hear it on the news?........good luck

No I saw it this morning on C-SPAN 2, there was three hours of debate starting at 9:45 eastern time and the vote was after that.

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/4/2/64269124.html

U.S. meatpackers, however, say their inability to buy Canadian cattle has cost their industry more than $1.7 billion, forcing layoffs and idling production.

I think losing the export market was the reason for the loss, not the inability to buy Canadian cattle.

Once the Canadian beef is allowed to intermingle with U.S. meats, it will open a flood of speculation," U.S. district Judge Richard Cebull said in a 30-page decision released Thursday

Could he perhaps explain the millions of pounds of Canadian beef that are in your local grocery stores and restaurants now? Boy, talk about a good way to kill your prices!

With friends like Mr. Cebull and Bullard, who needs enemies? :roll:

rancher said:
http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/4/2/64269124.html

U.S. meatpackers, however, say their inability to buy Canadian cattle has cost their industry more than $1.7 billion, forcing layoffs and idling production.

I think losing the export market was the reason for the loss, not the inability to buy Canadian cattle.

that's quite the spin to put on what they said, rancher.

Even without your export markets and imports of Canadian cattle, the US imported record amounts of beef in 2004.

Question: Without Canadian cattle how will the US have the beef to export if Asia does say they will take it?

Ahhh Geee, not too worried prices are good and we might have to expand our herds

don said:
i think canada's missile defence decision of last week made it a lot easier for senators to pass the resolution. lots of cards getting laid on the table. i hope canadians realize that the days of free and fair trade with the americans are past and we are part of the rest of the world now.

Don.. they been trying to put a cork in Canada for years nothings suddenly changed.

What came first the Chicken or the egg? Bad timing, but who says Martin didn't decide against the Missile defence because of all the trade politics the US has been pulling in the last few years. Pay us what the WTO has said the US owes us and then we might be able to afford helping.

Latest posts