• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sale price on calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
I have kept my eye on Superior off and on this week. They are selling real good. Steers in the 500-600 pound range are bringing over $2.00. I saw a big draft of 515 pound steers bring $2.525. Some 425 pound steers from a little south of here sold for $2.74. I bet there is a little dancing in the streets in Winnemucca.

unfortunately for me mixed loads and unweaned calves sold at a big discount, even with every endorsement and value added program they could come up with

still mid $190's at 600# and I'll survive to do it again next year

unfortunately for me mixed loads and unweaned calves sold at a big discount, even with every endorsement and value added program they could come up with

still mid $190's at 600# and I'll survive to do it again next year
Those mixed loads always take a beating.

Slow dancing. Have ya also watched diesel and hay prices? That margin is slimmer than my IQ
Do you think margins are that thin? I didn't think we are into negative numbers yet.
Hay price for those who have to purchase hay is a real killer this year. By my fine calculations my neighbor got 23% more for his steers than last year. He is in a situation where he isn't buying hay. Diesel is certainly way up this year but I doubt it is 23% of his operating costs. If a person is buying hay that cost has certainly risen more than 23%. And hay (winter feed) is the #1 biggest expense of maintaining a cow.

It's always a relief to hear cattle prices are up. Definitely need it with all the added expense. There hasn't been much hay put up in our valley yet but I'm hearing ridiculous prices. I heard a rumor one neighbor is selling round bales at $400 a ton. Supposedly it doesn't even matter if it has weeds or has been rained on. We sell quite a bit of hay, mostly to feed stores, but hearing these prices kinda makes my stomach turn. Money's good but I worry about the long term affect.

It's always a relief to hear cattle prices are up. Definitely need it with all the added expense. There hasn't been much hay put up in our valley yet but I'm hearing ridiculous prices. I heard a rumor one neighbor is selling round bales at $400 a ton. Supposedly it doesn't even matter if it has weeds or has been rained on. We sell quite a bit of hay, mostly to feed stores, but hearing these prices kinda makes my stomach turn. Money's good but I worry about the long term affect.
Wyoming Game and Fish is paying $310/ton for elk feed ground hay in western wyo. I paying a neighbor $140/ton, or $70/1000 lb round bale.

$360 a ton here for feeder hay. Dairy hay and cubers are paying $420+
was feeding cake last winter replacing 2lbs hay with one pound cake. any where from 5 to 8 lbs of cake per head per day. it penciled out I was saving 6cent every pound of cake fed over feeding hay, times that by 5 lbs cake and number of cows and number of days it added up and paide for my new cake feeder.

The 3rd cutting windrowed up very heavy this morning and looks premium. So far the 1st cutting that took 3 rains has been selling for $325 a ton and in small loads to different local buyers. So far the 2nd cutting (one rain) hasn't sold and is priced at over $400. I read that the 3rd cutting is being priced at over $500 with some asking $600. So far no semi-tractor and trailer hay haulers have been seen in my area, just ranch dualies with gooseneck flatbeds.

I can imagine having to buy hay to feed beef cows through the winter even at $300 a ton, let alone over $400. I expect I will be cutting back on my favorite dairy products and not making as much beef chili from prime brisket. Maybe I will use a cheaper cut of chuck roast. Last I looked the lesser grade was over $10 LB. Stocking up on pinto beans is probably a good idea. I may not be slicing any overpriced Tillamook cheddar, but I will be still cutting the cheese so to speak.

The 3rd cutting windrowed up very heavy this morning and looks premium. So far the 1st cutting that took 3 rains has been selling for $325 a ton and in small loads to different local buyers. So far the 2nd cutting (one rain) hasn't sold and is priced at over $400. I read that the 3rd cutting is being priced at over $500 with some asking $600. So far no semi-tractor and trailer hay haulers have been seen in my area, just ranch dualies with gooseneck flatbeds.

I can imagine having to buy hay to feed beef cows through the winter even at $300 a ton, let alone over $400. I expect I will be cutting back on my favorite dairy products and not making as much beef chili from prime brisket. Maybe I will use a cheaper cut of chuck roast. Last I looked the lesser grade was over $10 LB. Stocking up on pinto beans is probably a good idea. I may not be slicing any overpriced Tillamook cheddar, but I will be still cutting the cheese so to speak.
I think a lot of these hay farmers are going to be sitting on hay at those prices. Hobby farmers and backyard horse people are going to be the only buyers.
I have a buddy over on the coast where I use to live. Last year east side rancher were buying hayage from the coast. 1,000 pound bales that are 50% moisture for $75 a bale. Some of the producers doubled down and put up a lot more feed and are asking $75 a bale. East side ranchers are saying no thanks we have plenty of our own hay this year. Those spring rains that damaged your neighbors first cutting grew a lot of none irrigated grass hay which got cut this year.

We sold our horse hay (all grass) for $250/ton. We have consistent buyers and one paid us $300/ton...just cuz he appreciates getting it...of course he will get hay if we are short and only have enough for him!!! We just can't ask more for our hay. In fact, I think $250/ton is the most we have ever sold hay for. When we started out in 1965, we sold hay for $40/ton and thought we were rich.
Maybe we were.

Latest posts