• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sale results SAV

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Howdy1

Reaction score
Anybody heard how the sale went on Saturday for Schaff Angus Valley? Just curious how high they sold again this year.

Justin said:
467 bulls ave. $13,021 top $325,000

206 females ave. $9617

Top bull was 260,000 to Genex was a Ten X son. Top cow went to Herbster 375,000

Affordable for the regular cattlemen. Do a lot of you folks know that those bulls have never been fertility tested?

Ho55 said:
Affordable for the regular cattlemen. Do a lot of you folks know that those bulls have never been fertility tested?

Very few sales of yearling bulls this early are the bulls semen checked already

has anybody used TenX or any of his sons? The bull pictures I have seen looked kinda shallow gutted but if kelly schaff is using him he must be better that I thought. I have heard TenX offspring can be a little snorty, don't know if that is the truth either.

Ho55 said:

I've heard that. I've used some of his bulls AI and around here they sure as heck don't pound down the scales like they do for him. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Denny said:
Ho55 said:

I've heard that. I've used some of his bulls AI and around here they sure as heck don't pound down the scales like they do for him. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

those weights don't come cheap.

Justin said:
Denny said:
Ho55 said:

those weights don't come cheap.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Howdy1 said:
has anybody used TenX or any of his sons? The bull pictures I have seen looked kinda shallow gutted but if kelly schaff is using him he must be better that I thought. I have heard TenX offspring can be a little snorty, don't know if that is the truth either.

I think tried him. Don't think he is a lasting bull in the program by how many heifers they sold. I was not impressed by the heifers. Pretty shallow made compared to the rest.

It is my belief that the best cattle breeders tend to be very poor marketers and the best marketers are very poor cattle breeders! Schaff's categorize themselves pretty easily for me.

WVGenetics said:
nortexsook said:
You can pay for a lot of silage selling 200k++++ animals.

Provided there was actually $200k spent...a lot of those checks never get wrote!

You never know, perhaps they paid with 2 $75k heifers and a $50k Collie pup.

Seems every year I see the same type of comments regarding SAV.

They keep on rolling despite it all. Some cattlemen appreciate their genetics and SAV is taking it to the bank. I give them credit.

WVGenetics, how do you know they don't write the checks? I am not picking a quarrel but you made the statement like you know it for a fact. I have always heard that, not only about Schaffs but other bull breeders also. I was just wondering where you got your info because it interests me.

I was told by someone that SAV bulls bring that money because if you are lucky and choose the correct one then the semen sales make up for it. Granted that is one or two bulls out of 500 per year. I know alot of seedstock guys that go up there and get herd sires and I would bet they are forking over the $$$$.

I was told by another breeder. So take it for what it's worth. That a lot of money is already on the table for the SAV sale. He said that a lot of the bulls will not pass a fertility test so Kelly gives a credit for the next sale. And with weaning weights that big I would imagine that it affects the fertility in those bulls.

My wife ran into a guy in the airport flying in to buy 60 bulls. He has been using his genetics for 22 years. He must have a bunch of open cows every year since none of the bulls are any good :wink: He told her that he has never had a problem with SAV.

WVGenetics said:
It is my belief that the best cattle breeders tend to be very poor marketers and the best marketers are very poor cattle breeders! Schaff's categorize themselves pretty easily for me.

Definitely agree, and the two that come to mind are Leachman and Pharo.

Kelly is one of the best at both raising bulls and marketing them. Most of the rumors about this good operation, I would guess are started by jealousy. They are one of the oldest Angus breeders in the country, have had the best sales for many many years in the country, and I have personally seen a lot of his cows, and they are made about perfect. Sure they get taken good care of, but even with the extra feed, I don't know of many cows that can wean that heavy of a calf year after year, yet he has a whole herd of them.

Latest posts