• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sanfoin?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Snow melted and uncovered a lot of work, got most the meadow dragged, leaving the fields where I still feeding my cows. Still got the cow I custom feeding and they are calving. Lambing and the ewes e not sheared. Been getting the ewes that have lambed in a barn and usually by evening we shear them, we might tag them while they are wet so the lambs can suck. 200% lamb crop so far we have bummed one triplet. Way behind on my fence fixing, should get H to come up with his strong back and weak mind he could fix and build fence for me, maybe even learn to shear. :D But then seeing green everywhere and creeks and rivers full of water might be more then he could handle. :D
It snowed again last night but not enough to cover any work.... oh will have some farming to do, anybody plant any Sanfoin?

neighbors got a gob of it, i seeded their first many yrs ago.

they've found alfalfa does quite a bit better on one place than the sainfoin, but over to 'dads' place, sainfoin does far better. said the poorer the ground, better it seems to do, in comparision. think they said eski better than remont--i've been told it prefers pure stands, easy to keep clean with roundup, if it gets thin, let it go to seed. I'd interested in any recent experience anybodys had, varietys they like, cost, etc.

littlejoe said:
neighbors got a gob of it, i seeded their first many yrs ago.

they've found alfalfa does quite a bit better on one place than the sainfoin, but over to 'dads' place, sainfoin does far better. said the poorer the ground, better it seems to do, in comparision. think they said eski better than remont--i've been told it prefers pure stands, easy to keep clean with roundup, if it gets thin, let it go to seed. I'd interested in any recent experience anybodys had, varietys they like, cost, etc.
Think U of W had one they call Shoshoni that it didn't need the water alfalfa dose, and some places it out did alfalfa

jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:
Come to think of it Jody, shearing would be good preparitory exercise for digging post holes. :wink:
H must be nappin today

I am awake but not movin' very fast today. We worked my cousin's calves yesterday and i am dragging and sore today. Then my brother's kid's showsteer decided to bloat this morning and i spent most of the morning playing a vet. Got him deflated without having to poke any holes, so atleast that turned out alright i guess. If a guy was trying to kill himself off slowly and painfully, maybe he could shear a bunch of sheep, then shoe half a dozen horses and then spend the rest of the day digging postholes with a bar. Thank God i don't have any sheep. :D

leanin' H said:
jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:
Come to think of it Jody, shearing would be good preparitory exercise for digging post holes. :wink:
H must be nappin today

I am awake but not movin' very fast today. We worked my cousin's calves yesterday and i am dragging and sore today. Then my brother's kid's showsteer decided to bloat this morning and i spent most of the morning playing a vet. Got him deflated without having to poke any holes, so atleast that turned out alright i guess. If a guy was trying to kill himself off slowly and painfully, maybe he could shear a bunch of sheep, then shoe half a dozen horses and then spend the rest of the day digging postholes with a bar. Thank God i don't have any sheep. :D
probally 95 % of my place you can push the post in with a tractor bucket right now

I planted some last fall. Was told by the salesman "Don't get pissed when you don't see it the first year." So I the jury is out. Mine is on dry alkali ground with no irrigation. We have some rains enough to keep things green so far. I am at 4000 ft elevation if that matters.

Jeff

Latest posts