• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Sangers"that got left out!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks, Faster Horses. The highlight of our Stock Show trip was meeting you and your husband, and your daughter and her husband. Just wish we lived closer together, but then we'd be like city folks. :wink: Guess in ranch country we are all still neighbors even if we're hundreds of miles apart.

Back to the music, we bought a Kyle Evans CD made off of some of his very early music. It has a song, "I had a hat when I came in...I put it on the rack...I'll have a hat when I go out...or I'll break somebody's back. Anyway it is a cute tune, and Brock has just about worn out the CD.

You wouldn't know it by looking at the ol' Kosmo Kid in his citified apparel, but he is a pretty good cowhand. One of his pastimes while at the Stock Show was looking at all the folks slicked up in their cowboy parphenalia and determining in his own mind if they were good cowboys or not. Kids will be kids. :wink:

TimH said:
Ranchwife,

You also mentioned Don Williams in your post, who I also like very much.
Here is a little story that I hope does not bore you, but will maybe show what it is like for an artist, even a popular and successful one, to be onstage performing for other people..... espescially a good and humble man such as Don Williams, I'm sure it is true for others,as well........here's the story........

It was probably 18 or so years ago, Don williams was playing a concert in Edmonton(near where we lived at the time). I liked Don's music but my wife and some of our friends could take him or leave him. However, The Whites were the opening act, and we all liked them, and in particular we all liked Jerry Douglas who played dobro with them, at the time. We got tickets and went to the show.
The Whites were great, but it turned out that Jerry wasn't even on that tour with them. No big deal, but we were a little dissapointed.
Anyway, The Whites finished their set and Don came out and started his. He sat down in his chair and just did his thing. I was loving it. My wife and the other people we were with decided it was time to leave and go to a Country Music club that was close by. I tried to talk them into staying for the rest of the show but.... no way!! They all stood up, in the middle of a song mind you, and made their way to the aisle and out of the theatre. I had no choice but to follow them.
We had been sitting in the 3rd row from the front and as I made my way out I looked at Don Williams and he looked at me(less than 30 feet away). The look in his eyes was not anger or disgust at us disrupting his song. It was pure HURT......I'm no mind reader but I swear he was wondering what he had done wrong that would make us walk out in the middle of his show.
I feel terrible about it to this very day. If I ever have the honor of meeting Mr. Williams in person, you can bet I will be apologizing.
Can't believe I could forget "Denim Don" and Tom T..two of the greatest.I guess I am over emotional but I can't listen to Tom T's Home Coming or J.Cash's Ira Hayes without getting a lump in my throat.
Tim you're a good man(not to mention your "briefs') and I think it would be great if you could get this story to Don Williams.He must have a fan club you could contact him through.
Eddy Arnold had loads of hits and was around for years.I liked him best when he had a radio program,just him and his "gittar"..
Someone had somethig to say about Jimmy Dickens and his "dirty mouth".Well I spent some time with him and had his home phone number. I never heard him use and bad language.He was a fun guy.

What ever happened to the Kentucky Headhunters? Now those old boys could play. Little too rock and roll for some, but just right for me.

As far as amazing vocalists, Marty Roe from Diamond Rio, and Marty Raybon from Shenandoah are right up there too. One of my favorite songs to sing the baby to sleep when Momma can't settle him, is "Wednesday Night Prayer Meetin'" by Shenandoah.

PureCountry said:
What ever happened to the Kentucky Headhunters? Now those old boys could play. Little too rock and roll for some, but just right for me.

As far as amazing vocalists, Marty Roe from Diamond Rio, and Marty Raybon from Shenandoah are right up there too. One of my favorite songs to sing the baby to sleep when Momma can't settle him, is "Wednesday Night Prayer Meetin'" by Shenandoah.

If I sang my kids to sleep they would have night mares.

Probably already mentioned but Marty Robbins, John Lee "Lookin for love", Ronnie Milsap. And all those little surprises that you here at a little poetry gathern that just blows you away with relatively unknown talent.

A kid that should hit the big time is Clayton Linthicum. about 12 but a real good picker, singer and a showman.

how about stonewall jackson singing showboat or david allen coe and you don't have to call me darling

i sang my kids to sleep with strawberry roan, bad brahma bull, and little joe the wrangler

My dad sang those songs to me as well. Also, "When the works all done this fall."

He was a real joker and when I was little, I cried when I heard the song, "My dad gave my dog away." So my dad, sang to me, "My dog gave my dad away." We never forgot that, he and I, and talked about it right before his death. He said it would make me sooooo mad, when he would sing it that way.

Thanks for the memories, cowboyup.

And I bet you would really enjoy the Kyle Evans CD that Soapweed told us about. Some of those songs are on there, if I recall correctly.

cowboyup said:
how about stonewall jackson singing showboat or david allen coe and you don't have to call me darling

i sang my kids to sleep with strawberry roan, bad brahma bull, and little joe the wrangler

But you never even called me by my name.

cowboyup said:

I was drunk the day my Mama got out of prision, And i went to pick up in the rain, but before I could get to the station in my Pick up truck, she got run over by a damned old train. :cowboy:

cowboyup said:

Now, now, cowboyup....be honest with the nice people on the board....you did NOT sing the boys to sleep.....that was called a "mercy coma" :lol:

anyway...help me out, folks....I have a song in my mind that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the singer (seems to be a recurrent theme of mine, lately :shock: )......."No we don't fit in with that white collar crowd. We're a little too rowdy and a little too loud. There's no place that I'd rather be than right here...with my rednecks, white sox and blue ribbon beer!"...I can still hear my dad singing this song!! :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
cowboyup said:

I was drunk the day my Mama got out of prision, And i went to pick up in the rain, but before I could get to the station in my Pick up truck, she got run over by a damned old train. :cowboy:

Now that's a perfect country western song...

ranchwife said:
cowboyup said:

Now, now, cowboyup....be honest with the nice people on the board....you did NOT sing the boys to sleep.....that was called a "mercy coma" :lol:

anyway...help me out, folks....I have a song in my mind that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the singer (seems to be a recurrent theme of mine, lately :shock: )......."No we don't fit in with that white collar crowd. We're a little too rowdy and a little too loud. There's no place that I'd rather be than right here...with my rednecks, white sox and blue ribbon beer!"...I can still hear my dad singing this song!! :D

Johnny Russell

Juan said:
TimH said:
Ranchwife,

You also mentioned Don Williams in your post, who I also like very much.
Here is a little story that I hope does not bore you, but will maybe show what it is like for an artist, even a popular and successful one, to be onstage performing for other people..... espescially a good and humble man such as Don Williams, I'm sure it is true for others,as well........here's the story........

It was probably 18 or so years ago, Don williams was playing a concert in Edmonton(near where we lived at the time). I liked Don's music but my wife and some of our friends could take him or leave him. However, The Whites were the opening act, and we all liked them, and in particular we all liked Jerry Douglas who played dobro with them, at the time. We got tickets and went to the show.
The Whites were great, but it turned out that Jerry wasn't even on that tour with them. No big deal, but we were a little dissapointed.
Anyway, The Whites finished their set and Don came out and started his. He sat down in his chair and just did his thing. I was loving it. My wife and the other people we were with decided it was time to leave and go to a Country Music club that was close by. I tried to talk them into staying for the rest of the show but.... no way!! They all stood up, in the middle of a song mind you, and made their way to the aisle and out of the theatre. I had no choice but to follow them.
We had been sitting in the 3rd row from the front and as I made my way out I looked at Don Williams and he looked at me(less than 30 feet away). The look in his eyes was not anger or disgust at us disrupting his song. It was pure HURT......I'm no mind reader but I swear he was wondering what he had done wrong that would make us walk out in the middle of his show.
I feel terrible about it to this very day. If I ever have the honor of meeting Mr. Williams in person, you can bet I will be apologizing.
Can't believe I could forget "Denim Don" and Tom T..two of the greatest.I guess I am over emotional but I can't listen to Tom T's Home Coming or J.Cash's Ira Hayes without getting a lump in my throat.
Tim you're a good man(not to mention your "briefs') and I think it would be great if you could get this story to Don Williams.He must have a fan club you could contact him through.
Eddy Arnold had loads of hits and was around for years.I liked him best when he had a radio program,just him and his "gittar"..
Someone had somethig to say about Jimmy Dickens and his "dirty mouth".Well I spent some time with him and had his home phone number. I never heard him use and bad language.He was a fun guy.

Juan,
Here is something else I should have included in the 1st part of the story....
That "hurt" look, on Don's face, lasted less than 1 second. Being a PROFFESSIONAL entertainer, he quickly got over it and turned his attention to the other 4500+ people in the theatre who were not inconsiderate a$$holes like we were. I'm sure they got more than their money's worth. :oops: :oops:

Eddy Arnold was one of my Dad's favorites. Every once in a while I will play "Cattle Call" for my boys........complete with the yodelling!!!! They laugh and point... but they don't leave the room!!!!! :D :D

My dad loved to sing, and he was pretty good. I never could carry a tune in a bucket. Our daughter can really sing, she sings The Star Spangled Banner at a lot of rodeos and it sends chills up your back. She can sing so high, and hold it, like no one else, or that's my opinion. She used to sing in a country western band and really enjoyed doing it.

She had the lead in the play "South Pacific" in high school and got a standing ovation. She did so good, and one night the sound system went to heck and you could still hear her plain as day. She has a lot of volume. (which she might have got from me, lol)...

My dad, when he had too much to drink, would always sing, "I had a beaut-I-ful time, holding your heart next to mine..."

now who sang that?

FH,

Your story about singing when the sound system went out reminded me of THE ALL TIME BEST VOCALIST>..........PATSY CLINE....When you hear her songs, remember, it was before the age of high tech sound mixing we have now, her voice had that depth in it already,

and on the thread of David Allen Coe.....

"And I'll hang around as long as you will let me"

LOL

PPRM

Faster horses said:
My dad loved to sing, and he was pretty good. I never could carry a tune in a bucket. Our daughter can really sing, she sings The Star Spangled Banner at a lot of rodeos and it sends chills up your back. She can sing so high, and hold it, like no one else, or that's my opinion. She used to sing in a country western band and really enjoyed doing it.

She had the lead in the play "South Pacific" in high school and got a standing ovation. She did so good, and one night the sound system went to heck and you could still hear her plain as day. She has a lot of volume. (which she might have got from me, lol)...

My dad, when he had too much to drink, would always sing, "I had a beaut-I-ful time, holding your heart next to mine..."

now who sang that?

FH I was Lt. Buzz Adams in South Pacific in our high school musical. Real small part . No solo singing. the director knew better. But we sure had fun. Our school is famous for our musicals. They started back in the early 70's and are still doing them today. Packed houses all the time.

Latest posts