• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scenes from yesterday, taking calves to the auction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Leavinghomewithfogonthemeadow.jpg

Leaving home with fog on the meadow
Cattleinthemorningmoonlight.jpg

Cattle in the morning moonlight
Cattleonhaybeforecorralingthem.jpg

Cows and calves on hay before corraling them
Combinationoffogdustdaylightanddark.jpg

Combination of fog, dust, daylight and dark
Justbeforewestartedloading.jpg

Just before we started loading
Thebosslady.jpg

The boss lady
Saddletrampgearinguptoloadcalves.jpg

Saddletramp gearing up to load calves
Toddthetruckercalculatingtheload.jpg

Todd, the trucker, calculating the load
Thecameragotturnedaround.jpg

The camera got turned around
Atthemellerdrammer.jpg

At the mellerdrammer in the evening
Mellerdrammerinaction.jpg

Mellerdrammer in action

Great, absolutely great photos.

But what did the calves bring?

The market was HOT yesterday. We have an order buyer staying with us and he stopped in the McGlaughlin SD auction. Said some 736 # char steers that were as good a group of calves that he had ever seen, brought $1.37. 420# were $1.70.

I'm glad for everyone!!!!!!

And as I recall, Agman said usually there is a softening of the market in Oct. but this year it would stay strong and could advance. I'd say his call was right on!

There were some better sales than ours yesterday, but we came home very happy. 96 of our black-hided steers weighed 659 @ $129.00 per cwt, and 100 head of black-hided 606 pound steers brought $1.39 per cwt. The bigger steers averaged $850 per head (before selling expense), and the lighter ones averaged $842 per head. There was only eight dollars per head difference, even though there was 53 pounds difference. A grey steer that we donated to the NCBA weighed 735# and sold by the head. He brought $900 for that organization.

Good day to sell cattle. :)

Soapweed said:
There were some better sales than ours yesterday, but we came home very happy. 96 of our black-hided steers weighed 659 @ $129.00 per cwt, and 100 head of black-hided 606 pound steers brought $1.39 per cwt. The bigger steers averaged $850 per head (before selling expense), and the lighter ones averaged $842 per head. There was only eight dollars per head difference, even though there was 53 pounds difference. A grey steer that we donated to the NCBA weighed 735# and sold by the head. He brought $900 for that organization.

Good day to sell cattle. :)

Congrats Soapweed on a great sale---can't think of an outfit who deserves it more--

TTB

I know guys who always say that they hate the stress of having to go to the barn on sale day. I bet not many people have a hard time going this year. Prices like this are fun for everyone. Congrats Soapweed.

Ah, Soapweed, that was a great sale. And my gosh, what excellent weight!! You and your crew do a super job. You don't have to take a backseat to anyone!!!!!! You are to be commended on those calves being so even. Says alot for your cows. The way you buy your bulls is really working! I bet that guy is happy for you, too!

I would have liked to have seen those calves in person! What sale did you take them to?

Who wouldda ever thought calves would have brought that much money, I mean with the border being open and all... :wink:

FH,

I think the big thing this year compared to most Octobers is the availability of cheap Feed. I think we had an arbitrary softening of the market with the border opening in that people were taking a wait and see attitude....... It is nice though,

PPRM

Faster horses said:
Who wouldda ever thought calves would have brought that much money, I mean with the border being open and all... :wink:

Could a fair deal of that much money have come about because the border is not fully open?- because of the border, feedlot, and slaughter regulations that were put in place on Canadian cattle are costly, making it worth paying $100-200 more for a US calf? :wink:

Murgen said:
Combination of fog, dust, daylight and dark

Great Pic, do you mind if I copy and save this one Soapweed?

Soapweed,

I'd have to agree....that picture really caught my eye and is very good. You should enter it somewhere....it would win. Like Farmer and Rancher Magazine or something. Good work Soapweed!

I made this picture the background on my computer here at work....I hope you don't mind!

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

Could a fair deal of that much money have come about because the border is not fully open?- because of the border, feedlot, and slaughter regulations that were put in place on Canadian cattle are costly, making it worth paying $100-200 more for a US calf? :wink:

Was at a Meeting last night. A cattle buyer was telling us that the Basis on a 5 wt calf is about $.15 That includes health regs, higher transport cost ,and exchange. $75 dollars difference from Canada to Us prices. Not much different then normal.

I don't know any thing for sure, but I know five years ago I hauled feed to a larger number of mother cows than the last two years. Supply and demand? Politics?
I think less calves met up with more steak-eaters. If you sell two- thirds of your calf crop for 1/3 more money I'll bet the fuel bill is still too high.
Nice sale Soapweed.

Soapweed - How do you like the "Hay Handling Truck" in the second picture from the top? I have a video on that type equipment, and it seems that it is a pretty fine idea. Do you need a 1 Ton Chassis for convenience and effeciency?

Excellent location selection for the pictures. What % of your herd do you not have to feed through the winter now? :D

DOC HARRIS

DOC, I like the Dodge one-ton with the Hydra-bed. The caker is the model 1800#, but actually holds about 1500 pounds. It works well, and with the eleven foot flatbed there is room to also haul two bales. It doesn't take long to roll them out. The time consuming part is cutting the twine and gathering it up. I just barely touch the bale down and pick it immediately back up. That way, usually no big globs of hay fall off. By driving fairly fast and just touching the bale down once in a while, the hay is strung out in fairly small piles and hardly any gets wasted. It's a good system.

We use the exact same setup for feeding as does Soapweeds outfit. As a matter of fact it is also white one ton with hydra bed. Like he said-works so well!! Going to start feeding a little in a couple of pastures today-you know this time of yr. they always are looking for something a bit more tasty than what is out there. Yesterday our bulls and neighbors bull across the dirt road decided to tear down fence well cows and calves got out also. Got on neighbors wheat and our alfalfa bales don't care so much about that except for the fact they will want something better now than fall grass and protein. So my plans for a house cleaning and yard day were interupted.

Latest posts