• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Science projects 2013

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
The kids have worked hard on their science projects that are due tomorrow. Thought i'd share what they came up with, with you all. Kinda proud of the two little buggers. :D Little H decided on her own that she wanted to tackle EPD's as her project. She's pretty smart and in 5th grade.

Overveiw of the whole thing. She took 5 different bulls out of a semen company catalog and used EPD's to compare them. These are her own words and all dad did was explain what seems to work for me.

Here's a home-made playdough sculpture she made of our bull. Even got the pink brand down perfect. Only the best on a big outfit like ours! :D She did manage to brand him on the wrong hip but that'll happen now and then. :wink:

She wanted to try and explain whay EPD's are and how they help in selection of seedstock. Thought she did a fine job. I am amazed to see how she takes to these things like she was born to them.

More info as she explained her project and layed it out for non-cattle people to try and understand. Atleast one cattle guy (me) learned a little something. :D

She also picked 5 different EPD's she thinks are important to our cowherd and used those 5 as her main criteria for bull selection.

Then she compiled the main 5 epd's from each bull and made a chart to show how they compare. Above the chart, she had each bulls picture and individual epd's.

Now for the conclusion! She just choose 5 random bulls from the catalog and after using her set of epd's, ranked them 1 through 5.

She layed out her case for each bull and a few reasons why she rated them how she did. Not an exact science but i think she did pretty well. :D

She sure worked hard and did a great job. But i am kinda wrapped around her little finger. :lol: She does give me hope for the future of our industry. Great job Little H!!!!

Now for the trouble maker! :D (Just like his momma) (Her docility epd is seriously low) :wink: Littlest H decided to do his about where his favorite meat, BEEF, comes from. Although chewing beef is a challenge as he is missing his 2 top teeth. :D

His project and his design. For a 1st grader, he sure did super. We picked up that poster at a bull sale last year and he said he wanted to use it.

Another great sculpture of one of our steer calves. May need to do more research on my EPD selection as we appear to have got some sheep genetics mixed in a tad. :D Three legged calves are all the rage this year.

He is a serious carnivore and wanted to explain where beef comes from. The sad part is, some of the folks who judge the projects might not know til they see this.

More good info from a 6year olds perspective. Made me want to grill a steak.

Other by-products from beef that folks don't always know about or remember.

He sure is a great helper and always good for a grin. Even if his grin is kinda toothless these days. :D He worked hard and did a great job too.

Hope i didnt drive ya'll nuts bragging on my kids tonight. Several people on ranchers.net have told me that we are living at the time in raising our kids that is simply the best. I wholeheartedly agree! We are blessed and sure thankful for both of them. Cross your fingers for them. Grading happens tomorrow. Have a fine evening! :D

Kids did a great job :!: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Little H probably understands EPD's better then I do. :oops:

Littlest H's white face model looks spot on to to me. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Very impressive. Maybe I can hire your kids to run my operation. Would put little H incharge of the cow herd and littlest H could run the backgrounding lot. The pay isn't worth a darn but the meals are good. You can be very proud.

Big Swede said:
You never fail to make me laugh H. Great job on the projects!

Thanks. Gotta ask ya if you've ever watched a show called "hell on wheels"? My wife and i watched it on netflix and it was pretty good although a tad dark. Anyway, there's a character called The Swede who is pretty spooky and i hope you don't take after him. :wink: :D :D Someday, if i get back thataway i'll get to shake your hand and find out. :D

Faster horses said:
It's ok, you can be a PROUD PAPA!! Those kiddos did it up right!!
I hope they get an A+. Be sure to let us know.

If this is a sample of the youth coming up, we don't need to worry~
what great kids you have!

sure glad they take after thier mother :D

Bar M said:
Very impressive. Maybe I can hire your kids to run my operation. Would put little H incharge of the cow herd and littlest H could run the backgrounding lot. The pay isn't worth a darn but the meals are good. You can be very proud.

They may take ya up on that! :D Tonight everybody wanted lasagne but wouldnt eat their salad first and they may be planning a small mutiny. :shock: :D

leanin' H said:
Bar M said:

They may take ya up on that! :D Tonight everybody wanted lasagne but wouldnt eat their salad first and they may be planning a small mutiny. :shock: :D
didn't they have salad last week ?

leanin' H said:
Bar M said:

Well littlest H didn't want to take up room for all the beef he was planning on eating so he can pay attention tomorrow at school :wink: :wink:

AWESOME :clap: :clap:
Now when they go to the championships. Have them put a rectangle board across the top of the board as a header and put bright colored strips around the edges and then around the board. But the material on the board is super!!

You are raising some fine youngsters, Leanin' H. They both made very impressive science projects, and did a great job in promoting BEEF at the same time. We are all really proud of them. :)

Fantastic. Those are great projects. The brand issue is just the photographer flipping the picture for the catalogue.

Latest posts