• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Second Wreck of the Season

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Battleriver

Reaction score
Well I had pretty much gotten over my tubing mishad-result dead calf till today. Its sopping wet here after 4 inches of wet snow and an inch of Rain. Im down to my last 4 stragglers calving in the 64 day calving season. 10 year old cow patiently waited till after the storm to calve with a very nice bull calf. I thought it was a bit wet so gave it and the 5 other pairs in the pen a bale of straw for comfort. came back grom church to find said calf flat out dead with a cow sized footprint on its chest :evil: :evil: . I have never had a calf stepped on, so now I can take that one off my list of ways a calf can die. Pretty bummed out for now but I guess its all part of this business. Im now down to 97% live births. I hope the last 3 fare better :oops: .

That's a tough sight to come home to. It seems extra hard to take those after you've done your best to make things better for them. So sorry for your loss.

It sure can happen Battleriver, but it still stings. Saw a cow clean off her calf and literally love him to death when i worked for Utah State University. She was just being a good mother one second and then mashed him through the dirt the next. I bailed into the pen but it was all over but the ride to the salebarn. Atleast a boulder didn't get it like Wyoming Rancher's mishap. Keep yer chin up. :wink:

A good friend of mine who posts here often would remind us that no matter how hard we try we can't kill them all. :?

Somewere down the line that will come back around. You'll come home from church and find a lively set of twins , right after a nice 2-yr old had a mishap, not her fault

Yeah, poop occurs...just nurse a calf on her if you've got a candidate and make the best of a bad situation. There's only one way not to loose any and that's not to own any.

Had one of those mishaps 2 days ago. The ones that really P!$$ me off is the ones that are lying there chewing their cud while trying to hatch the dead calf underneath them.

Good news is that a set of twins this morning helped out the situation. :D

leanin' H said:
At least a boulder didn't get it like Wyoming Rancher's mishap. Keep yer chin up. :wink:

Yeah people, just try to top that one :roll: :p . My last cow calved last night, and I was celebrating my 63 day calving season... until I went to feed this morning and found two bulls in with the cows. I know of at least three, if not five cows which are going to be getting a Lutalyse shot in about 10 days :wink: :D . I guess next year won't be as short, but as long as they have a pulse I won't complain :wink: :D .

Sorry for your loss, I had that one happen earlier in calving this year... Let's face it, I pretty much killed them any way you could this season. Oh well! At least the culls are worth good money, the ones I sent last week averaged a tad over $1000.

I had a bale fall off the wagon on saturday and I thought nothing of it and left it where it fell as The cows could just eat it there. Turns out a heifer calf was under it. I've been bottle feeding a bum for 3 weeks so we made a family out of two.

Latest posts