• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seeking medical advice for calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sorry you lost him Soapweed. Hate it when that happens, but as we all know if you got em, your gonna loose one ever now n then to somethin. The unexplained is the hardest one's to handle. Just kinda hangs in your mind for a good while....makin ya wonder. But ya did the best ya could do for him, and that's what's important.

My friend is a horse chiropractor for the chuckwagon guys-she actually got interviewed my Leah Garcia on OLN at Calgary last summer-it must work because she keeps pretty busy al summer working on wagon horses. It's worth a trip up north just to watch the wagon races-nothing like 32 thoroughbreds hitting the track together-those wagon boys are quite the horsemen.

Besides chiropractor work, there is Buster Harlow from Gillette who
does equine massage. He has a lot of success stories out there. He is a huge man and has been doing this technique for years. He is training other people now. Very interesting to watch him.

A cowhorse trainer i supply calves to used top go to the Chiropractor sevreal times per month. He brought in a guy that does massage on horses and people. Not sure about the horses, but Dave hasn't been to the chiroprator in 8 months. This guy works on him once aquarter. Dave says he feels almost nautious for a day, but then it is great,

PPRM

We don't use a chiropractor anymore. What we have found is that we
have muscle problems, not bone problems. Muscles tend to get sore
or strained moreso than bones out of adjustment.

Just our experience.

A student of Busters works on horses in this area and he
has been able to do a lot of good.

One thing, I've heard the horse chiropractors say a horses neck
is 'out'. Have you ever looked at the skeleton of a horse's neck
in relation to the muscle? The bones are at the bottom of the neck,
not at the top. I do think horses get 'out' at the axis~that is up
by the poll. But I really can't see how their neck can be out.

Doesn't work on horses any more, he's a little crippled up from auther itis. He has trained many replacements for his skills, but none as good as he was. He voluntarily worked on all of young men in various sports, of high school age. He has trouble keeping his own weight down as does his talented sister. He was outstanding, none like him anywhere. He had trouble at one time with the state of wyoming, they wanted to make him lisence his skills and of course pay them a fee (s).

Faster horses,
My Chiropractor told me "it's not a bone problem, it's a muscle problem" ALL OF IT......bein outta place that is. If the muscles aren't strong enuff to hold the bones in place they get out of place. People, horses, I guess just about any living thing can do this. More so with people and horses, since we are asking the body to do things that normally it wouldnt do.

This is why when you do things that you normally don't do, your muscles get sore. The muscles in the back and neck are holding vertabra's in place...if they aren't conditioned right, when over worked, or doin somethin new, they may not hold things in place. Best thing to keep them in place is condition the muscles to do whatever the activity is gradually until they are strong.

That makes sense Lilly. I'll buy that.

When we moved to W. Montana in 1975, I paid a visit to the chiropractor.
I usually didn't have any of those kind problems, but we were unloading furniture, etc. and I may have overdone myself.
He worked on me and said, "you do more work than most women."
That made me feel pretty good. Too bad I didn't keep working like
that... :p

He sure wouldn't have said that even a year later. Life got easier
and I got softer, I guess.

Oh, for the good ole days. :wink:

My being a Dr. of Chiropractic for 55 years, I find the explanations and philosophies presented on these posts of what Chiropractic is and does very interesting. Unless one has the correct education and complete understanding of the profession and the Science and Art of Chiropractic, most of the so-called "experts" are missing the entire point of What Chiropractors do - and WHY they do it! A "little" knowledge is a bad thing.

I practiced the profession for 35 years before I retired, and in that period of time I had the opportunity to treat (adjust) several dogs, a couple of cats, and one horse. Each experience was successful for the condition being treated. . . .FOR THE CONDITION BEING TREATED!

Just for general information - the training required for a Degree in Chiropractic involves two years of a General Science Pre-Medicine Course, and then Four more years of Chiropractic training. At that time a State Board Examination is required before one is licensed to practice - an examination requiring four or five days and is the same examination as MD's are required to take, plus another day or so of concentrated Chiropractic Technics - resulting in the loss of several pounds of body weight. . . . . and a lot of sweat and Nervousness!

When one understands the above facts, one can see how ignorance of reality and actuality and truth can be likened to not believing in the fact that the World is round - or that Air is what one breathes. You can't see it, but it is there nevertheless. And it does keep one alive and functioning whether you "believe in it" - or not!

The Art and Science of Chiropractic involves the maintaining and regaining the integrity of the Nerve System, which controls every cell and function of the body. The Central Nervous System involves the Brain and the Spinal Chord and the Peripheral Nervous System which branches out from the Central System. The Adjustment of the Vertebral Segments of the Spinal Column and the concomitant care of the body is what Chiropractic practice is all about - - it is not just "cracking bones"! If I seem to be intense on the subject - - you can "Take it to the Bank" I am!

DOC HARRIS

I currently use two Chirop[ractors and 1 massuese. They all have taught me a lot. I abused my body in contact sports (Including Rodeo) as a youngster. i pay in some ways now....But I have learned a lot about my body....

The two Chiropractors are a little different. One is a Bone Cruncher that generally gets it done. But h does little for a shoulder...The other isn't as severe, but she does wonders for my shoulder. However, the rest doesn't stay well after her treatments...

The massuese actually does deep tissue and she has tied it all togehter with a few questions and statements for me.....I just started seeing her.

She does a ton of stretch, My Pectorals are tight and my left shoulder to...Between my spine and left shoulder blade is always hurting and needs adjustment...During the last session, (My 3rd) she started asking me about driving.I didn't realise, but I drive exclusively with my left hand. This tightens my chest muscles, pulls my shoulder forward and strains my back on the left side. She gave me stretch excersizes that have done wonders...

Bottom line, Spine and muscle are very related. but a lot of it and the understanding of who to see when is based on what I have learned from all three,

PPRM

When I did alot of driveing I had a wallet in my pocket take it out will help also.Now that I ranch more on a full time basis my wallets always empty so I don't have near the back problems.

Denny said:
When I did alot of driveing I had a wallet in my pocket take it out will help also.Now that I ranch more on a full time basis my wallets always empty so I don't have near the back problems.

There was an old neighboring rancher who has now passed on. He was pert' near deaf and had a bad back. He walked quite bent over, tipped to the front. One of the local scalawags remarked that the reason the guy walked so bent over, was because he carried his wallet in his front pocket. He may have been right. :wink:

PPRM said:
OK,

Here's something else that may become more mainstream....

My wife was at our Chiropractors. She is Becky Cannon, former NFR Barrel Racer. Dang, I can't remember her Maiden name, but not important...

Tammy saw a foal Becky has treated. It was most likely stepped on when she was originally called. It couldn't get up and Becky had little hope to help it. They had to milk the mare to feed this little fella as it couldn't stand so it could nurse....

Well, it is now getting along fine and nursing on its own...Becky used chiropractic.

I saw in anotehr thread someone mentioning using chiropractic on a bull...

I know it does wonders for me,

PPRM

When I was 14 or so I was riding a four year old quarter horse that I loved and was my high private. He began to just crow hop all the time. My Uncle said it was time to get rid of him and get a horse that I could get the job done on. Being 14 this brought me to tears. These tears worked some on him and he said ok he'd heard of a horse chiropractor and we'd take him to that as a last ditch effort and probably some wasted money. To make a long story short we took him the chiropractor worked on him and showed us some leg stretches to be done daily and he's 17 standing out in the pasture. The chiropractor did wonders for him and for me too I was able to keep my prized horse. Turned out his withers would get knocked out and that is what caused the crow hopping. A thicker saddle pad, an adjustment, and some leg stretches really helped.

reader (the Second) said:
Sorry about your calf. It looked bad to my naive eyes and I was impressed with the thoughtful replies and with how you and others empathized with the calf's suffering and understood that stopping the suffering was the humane thing.

Reader 2, thank you for your kind comments. Most ranchers do try to do the right thing when it comes to the welfare of their animals. We try to base our decisions on compassion, as well as what is financially lucrative. Our motto is: "If we take care of the livestock, they will take care of us."

Thanks for noticing.

It's not exactly chiropractry
There is NO such word as "Chiropractry"! The term is "CHIROPRACTIC."

I have no intention of belaboring the subject - but if anyone desires a more in depth conversation regarding the terms - "out", - "thrown out" - "slipped disc" - "pinched nerve" and a few other misnomers, it might help your understanding of the Science and Art of the Chiropractic Profession. It takes six years to achieve the level of efficiency to obtain a Dr.'s Degree on the subject, so don't expect a symposium on the Science!

By the way - A 'subluxated' rib is extremely common in humans, and can be just as discomforting to a horse, or any other animal, as it is to a human. Human beings have a MUCH lower pain-tolerance-level than animals, therefore they react and respond in a much more demonstrative manner than animals.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, would you mind expounding on the rib deal a bit more and how
it affects humans and horses?

In horses, symptoms seem to be that they just aren't 'right' in
their movements. That they dread to try to avoid certain movements,
yet do not show true lameness. Get the ribs fixed and they are
fine. Heading horses are known to have more of this type of problem
from making so many moves to the left with the weight of the steer.

The vet I watched make the manipulation held the front leg out and then rotated the lower part of the leg. At one point it seems like we even
heard a rib go into place.

Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ON YOUR OWN, because I'm sure there are many things that could go wrong, rather than right.

Latest posts