• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seeking some supplement advice....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JML said:
any idea what that roughage buster costs.

Welcome aboard!!! I haven't priced the ruffage mate yet this year but last year it was around $700-$800 a ton if I remember right. I put out around 1 barrel feeder per 25 cows and mixed the salt 50/50. Then when they'd leave some I'd back off the salt a little until they just had a little left when i went to feed again.

JML said:
It comes in different 'numbers'---I guess equivelent to crude protein? Probably starts $1200+ and goes up the higher the number. But seems recommended amount per head per day is fairly small.

Can get it in blocks or loose. Guy I get my mineral from has sold quite a bit yrs ago. He said if feeding loose, you need good mineral feeder or wind will blow it away, it's quite fine. The theory ain't so much to provide lots of goodies with the roughage buster, but to facilitate getting more outa the feed itself. He's switched cos, but did say it was a very good product--at least the last time he was around it--- and be sure to get the consumption it called for.

thanks for the info. Wow stuffs kinda pricey but sounds like it would work well for my operation. I like to cake once a week unless its real cold weather then i cake more. Ive been looking for a free choice supplement that would give my cows about a half pound of protein a day. but i already have cargill mineral for the whole winter. Anybody know of just a straight protein block or tub with no minerals in it?

bgc has exactly the right idea. Test your hay. You will be surprised
at what you find. A range cow in the third trimester needs 2.0 lbs.
of crude protein per day (more when it's real cold and windy).
Before the third trimester they need 1.6 lbs. crude protein per head per
day. You can do that with 10% protein hay as long as you feed
enough of it.

I realize Shortgrass was asking about supplements now, not in
winter conditions and he wasn't going to feed every day, so
this doesn't apply to his situation at present. It's just a good reminder
that testing your hay might save you a lot of money!

(edited because I had the wrong person's name in the last paragraph).

littlejoe said:
JML said:
It comes in different 'numbers'---I guess equivelent to crude protein? Probably starts $1200+ and goes up the higher the number. But seems recommended amount per head per day is fairly small.

Can get it in blocks or loose. Guy I get my mineral from has sold quite a bit yrs ago. He said if feeding loose, you need good mineral feeder or wind will blow it away, it's quite fine. The theory ain't so much to provide lots of goodies with the roughage buster, but to facilitate getting more outa the feed itself. He's switched cos, but did say it was a very good product--at least the last time he was around it--- and be sure to get the consumption it called for.

As of this morning, Roughage Buster 80 (In a formulation like mineral), WITH WeatherMaster, will retail for around $1368/ton. The 33 1/3 pound blocks will run around $1364/ton. 200# tubs with Citri Stim runs $1030/ton, and cubes will run right at $570/ton. These prices are dependant on factors like freight, etc., and may run a little higher or lower. Further information can be found at www.admani.com

The blocks and the Roughage Buster 80 are generally the 2 most popular products. If you are further south where the drought is rearing it's ugly head, one may want to consider roughage Buster 100.

Faster horses said:
I have a question, loomixguy.

How can Roughagebuster work if there is no roughage????

I think there may be a misconception out there that a supplement (any supplement) can be fed when there is no other forage. Everyone needs to remember that a supplement is just that....a supplement to poor forage, not to NO forage. FWIW...

Of course cows have to have groceries besides a supplement. The RB 100 is used where the available forage is poor. The problem in this country is that the stalk situation is never the same. Today's harvesting methods and seed technology have led us to the fact that sometimes, there is less good in a stalk field than there is a WalMart parking lot. Bt corn hasn't helped, either. Around here, the best stalks for grazing has always been milo. A lot of folks don't plant milo so much for the crop as they do for the grazing. But, corn is King, and since a lot of pasture is rented and usually the cows have to be out by Nov. 1, they get kicked out on the corn stalks, no matter how good or bad they are. Winter pasture is almost unheard of in these parts.

I am afraid that hay is going to be in short supply here before too long. So much has went south that there can't be a whole lot left available for sale to any locals. The next 6 or 7 months may force folks to get creative. My standard line is that along with LOOMIX or whatever they are putting out, they need adequate groceries, fresh water, and salt. That's why I'm running so many rations lately, so they can use what feed they have available and spend what money they need to wisely, while making sure the cow is getting her requirments for her stage of pregnancy. Not uncommon at all to tweak the ration 4 or 5 times as time progresses.

You are a good rep for your company and care about
your customers, I can tell.

I mostly posted that so producers would realize they can't buy
a supplement and have it work, without some type of forage.
I'm amazed at the people who don't seem to realize this.

I deleted my post, because I didn't want you to think I was
calling you out, specifically. I was too late.......but that's okay,
your explanation was right on, and I hope helpful to some.
Thanks.

Thank you! Lots of new products to learn about and see where they all fit into the puzzle these days. Kinda fun to have an arsenal that big at your disposal. :D

Faster horses said:
You are a good rep for your company and care about
your customers, I can tell.

I mostly posted that so producers would realize they can't buy
a supplement and have it work, without some type of forage.
I'm amazed at the people who don't seem to realize this.

I deleted my post, because I didn't want you to think I was
calling you out, specifically. I was too late.......but that's okay,
your explanation was right on, and I hope helpful to some.
Thanks.

Exactly! Loomix guy knows his stuff and has been around. I've experimented with several things, have delivered some liq feed supplement----and some people you gotta pound it into their heads---It's a supplement! Ya' still gotta have the feed! You get one meathead who's got his place with wires around it like a concentration camp and fields looking like the surface of the moon, sitting in the coffee shop saying "well, i tried that liquid feed---what a ripoff!" and it'll set you back yrs---

The whole idea is to meet cows nutritional requirements---@ lowest possible cost. County agent probably has a program where you can plug in available feeds, feed value of each, costs, current requirements, etc. And can juggle amounts of each around. For example: a little hi protein cake might meet their protein requirments cheaper than more hay---as long as you got adequate other sources of grazing, roughage. "Pearson's Square" is one deal for doing this.

If the moorman's roughage buster has complete mineral package in it and does what they say it does, it might be a good deal. I figure mineral is something you can't shop for on price alone, and good mineral is gonna cost you around $1000 anyhow.

One last per peeve: When looking at a guy's cows and hearing his health problems and asking him "Do you feed mineral?" And he says "You bet! I feed mineral salt" I have to restrain myself from beating my--or his--haid into the closest tree.

I know exactly what you mean!
I've been a mineral dealer for going on 18 years with
the same company. The same thing goes for not putting it
out.....doesn't help the cattle much if it is sitting in the
shed. :D

Having your cows on a good year-round mineral program helps
everything. Makes your life much easier not having to doctor
sick cattle.

roughage buster really isnt that expensive once i thought about it. regualar mineral is around a thousand. We've got some 38% cake layed in at 425. if rb is 80% protein for 1300 it all kinda evens out, right?

Today I was lining up things to wean calves in the next couple of weeks and it made me think of something...
While I am very low input- and hate to put out anymore $ than I have to-- one thing I really believe in is the Smart Lic Stress Tubs for weaning calves- especially when lot weaning:
http://www.smartlic.com/products/stress22.html

I'd never heard of them until a few years ago when while working with the local feedlots- they all used them in the pens for new arriving calves- so I tried them-- and over the last few years it has really cut down on the calves needed to be doctored....The sweet taste gets them going to the tubs so they do utilyze them - and even tho I give pre-weaning shots- it sure seems it gives them the added kick to keep from getting sick if the weather turns nasty....

Latest posts