• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

select sires

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andrews29

Reaction score
looking for opinions on a heifer bull. needs to be from select sires and needs to be a black angus. I have been looking at 7an278 anybody used him or have another bull they like for heifers. I really like to keep bw down and ce up. the heifers were sired by 7an288

The only advice I can give you is to use something proven... I don't reconize any of the other bulls so I really can't help ya much... Someone else will know more I'll bet ya.... We're a pretty knowledgeable bunch.....

Dont know his idex number but i have use 2x15 on my heifers before and have really like the calves i got and if you are going to keep any as replacements they are pretty nice mammas as well

Maybe it's just me, but I very much dislike Imagemaker. Any of
those cattle that I've seen that have gotten older are very hard doing
cattle. The only way I would use Imagemaker is for calving ease and
then I still wouldn't because there are too many heifer bulls out
there that have more to offer. I think the hard doing comes from
RR Hero 6267. Those cattle have no middle, no volume. There
is RR Ferdinand on the bottom, that's from Rollin' Rock (Dale Davis-
pioneer breeder in Mt) and I think he was alright. I know nothing
about the cows in the pedigree.

Now if cure has daughters in production, maybe he will prove me
wrong, but the ones I have seen look like Travler 71's and that's
not saying much.

Andrews, maybe you have better conditions where you run cattle
so maybe in that situation you wouldn't notice body condition.
I see in the notes they don't say a word about easy fleshing. FWIW
Easy fleshing is pretty important in our country.

I don't have a Select Sires catalog so I can't see what else they
offer for heifer bulls.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

I looked up the bull you are considering and all I can tell you is that I stay as far away from SS Objective bulls as I can. They always look good at sale time but take away the feed bucket and they fall apart. They have very little muscle and are shallow gutted. I must confess that I have never owned one just seen some that were owned by others.

I also agree with Faster horses about Image maker. I have bought some replacement heifers in the past that were bred to him. He is extremely easy calving and calves come early and are vigorous. The down side is that all the heifer calves sired by him are very hard doing cattle. They also are shallow gutted and are never very fleshy. They do have more muscle to them than average but I don't know what they look like as cows because I have yet to keep one as a replacement.

Hope this helps but maybe those who have used them more will have better opinions.

katrina said:
I agree on the Objectives.... Been there done that... I think we have one cow left... And the bulls have been gone for over a year...

I saw the objective 3J at stud three years ago. The handlers stalled him on the jersey side. He was a bit taller and darker thats about it. BTW 3J is not a Select bull.

I sure could rattle off some bulls from other studs but just have not been looking at select line up for some reason..
There is alot of calving ease bulsl out there. I would suggest make sure you get quality semen. Some of the real popular bulls collect a range of semen quality when they are in such demand. A neighbor used one a very popular ones (not select) and only got 27 percent of his heifers bred and he had been AI breeding heifers for at least 10 years. Deals like that mess up the heifers calving intervals for life.

Justin said:
how about this guy...

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=173&breed=Angus

I like him..... I like his birth weight too... wow.... Justin we are agreeing on cattle again.... Lightening might strick!!!

Have you used him Justin? We used the final answer bull. And I didn't even get up every nite with the hiefiers.... Not that I would reccomend that to anyone. They made really nice mammas and we use a final answer/004 bull on our hiefiers...

I love my final answer daughters. I only have two but wish I had a few hundred of them. I have heard some can be a little nutty but mine were quiet and great mothers ( they are 1st calf heifers this spring). I would love to AI all my heifers to him but alas semen is limited and gotten expensve, we tried to get semen last year and couldn't. Which was okay because we didn't AI anyway.

This is the sire I have used the last couple of years.

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=127&breed=Angus

Not sure you will find a Regis semen out there as he just doesn t produce much according to our select rep. My personal reccomendation would be S Summit but without knowing anything about the females you have might just be a guess. The program the bull comes from is top notch the people behind the bull are even better. I bought a GDAR Game Day son from them last year and am well pleased. Good quiet bull that calves easily (pulled one hand assist out of 24 so far with just 3 left) but better than that the calves are just flat awesome at this point. I realize they are just 4 week old babies but they have really filled out. If you have questions on this bull call Justin Spickler (they have a website) or Shane Talkington the Select Sires rep in Western North Dakota they have seen calves and would have a better idea the type of females he would work best on.

Another option might be TC Thunder. Don't know much about him but I think the bull would calve easy enough. Our Select rep. said that will be his #1 bull on heifer projects. I know that is not always the best reason to use a bull. Option #3 for me would be Mill Brae Twenty Twenty an In Focus son that has been used on a commercial basis quite a bit from what I understand.

If things ever slow here a bit I might try to post some calf pictures. Good luck in your sire selection and remember the #'s are just a guide and the breeding decisions you make today will affect your herd for sometime if you keep your own females.

Thanks for all the replys ! I understand that the decisions i make now will have affects for a long time im fairly new to this and thats why im here getting everybodys input. I will be meeting with are vet in the next few weeks to see what he thinks. anyways keeps replys coming im always learning !!!

What is the background of the yearling heifers. What is the breed makeup, what will they weigh at calving time, what bloodlines might they be?

One more thing on my previous reccomdation the Game Day cattle are known for their tremendous vogor at birth.

If he didn't have to be a Select Sires bull I'd recommend this guy.

http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=58

I ordered some semen on him a few days ago. We're going to sneak him into our daughters commercial heifer. She'll be surprised when she calves.lol

Latest posts