• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

self darkening welding helmets

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hopalong

Reaction score
Few days ago I was helping a neighbor put up a pipe and sucker rod fence, he insisted I try his new helmet (self darkining) WOW is all i can say. I called my supplier on the way home and ordered one..
Any one else use them, pros cons????

excellent investment! be sure to dial it in to the propper setting...it is easy to set it to be too light, and can easily burn your eyes.

the ones we used needed batterys replaced when we could not get them
When welding with bright light behind you can get as much welding burn as anyhing else.

I love mine even if they are the cheap ones from Harbor Frieght - - - They take 2 AAA batteries and last about a year as they will shut off with 2 minutes of non use.

At $39.00 @ I have two in each service truck and two in each shop and I even got my son a pair for his birthday about 3 years ago.

I normally keep mine on the 13 setting ( the darkest ) - - when it is cold outside I have found if it does not lighten up as quick as you would like just exhale hard and it will lighten right up.

As I have gotten a little older ( read blind ) I have magnifing clear cover lenses in the ones I use and plain cover in the others ( now you know why I need two at each location )

If I am welding outside in bright light I often need to clip a towel to the back of the shield that will cover my neck and block light from coming in the back - - - really helps me see better!

Have a cheap auto-darkening. Don't weld much. Never used it much or gotten used to it. When I weld, I usually use my Cherokee jaw-operated, as I am used to it. Reckon auto-darkening can be great if you get used to them. Reckon expensive ones ought to be better than cheap ones.

Mine cost a couple hundred bucks but in building livestock trailers they pay for themselves quickly welding sheets on.

I've got 2, started with a ShadeMaster. It wasn't adjustable so after a couple of years I got a Miller Elite. I really like it and it has a bigger window than the cheaper ones.

Maybe I should take another look. A few years ago I welded something in a neighbor's shop. He had one and I wasn't impressed. Never even considered them since.

Doug, they have come a long way since the earlier ones came out. You can get a better helmet for way less money now.

Couple of things to watch for when buying one - Get the biggest window you can, and pay attention to the setting options - change speed, darkness density, etc.

So many more options now than my first one with the 1" wide window - that cost abut 300 bucks!

I love mine, but you can't use it when it gets cool out. Much below -20 or so I have to go back to the old fashioned one.
If someone would have asked I would have said mine didn't take batteries :shock: I can't see where you would put them, and it's been working for 3 or 4 years.

Another idle question.

How do you all keep the helmet window from frosting/fogging up in real cold weather.

I take the wife's hair dryer and let it run on low when the helmet if off.

Works well, but can cause friction if it isn't kept clean.

Oldgoat

My first one was about $300.00 and it does not take batteries it is solar powered - - - and it was great and I still used it today - - - it is not adjustable in darkness or speed but seems to be OK

Now that you can get them for $39.00 from Harbor Freight I have several - - they do take 2 AAA batteries but the batteies seem to last about 2 years with the use I give them. They are adjustable for darkness but I normally leave them on 13 which is the darkest setting.

One drawback is I get used to the solar powered one then use one of the battery powered ones and I will foget to turn it on and flash myself! But that is just some of my dumbness coming to the surface.

As for -20 temps I'm not sure if mine would work then as I would have to be out there in it to see and I try to avoid such things!

If you weld inside you might want to go with the battery over the solar. I switched to solar and I have to take it outside to get the dang thing charged every time I'm about to weld :mad:

Latest posts