• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Selling hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin said:
jigs said:
pay up front is the best. we have some guys who are always late payers, those guys were paying $275 when everyone else was at $225... I am not a banker, you want to take forever to pay, then I will add interest.

several of our guys like to put down $1000 per load, buy 20 loads.... then as we load out we bill them the total owed, minus the down payment. keeps me from selling out from under him, and keeps them from stiffing me

CASH IS KING !!! I never turn down a man with an empty truck and a stack of hundreds!
You sent hay a pretty fair distance on a promise. :lol:
hope it was what they wanted... but after the message on my machine, I just HAD to send the hay..... I still laugh my ass of when I play that thing!

leanin' H said:
Either i must be one naive sun of a gun or ya'll must live and deal with lots of crooks! :shock: If its not a hay deal going south on some of ya, it's a bad purebred outfit screwing ya over. I'd hate to go through life feeling like everyone is dishonest. In 45 years of being raised around and now doing business for myself i have had 1 bad experience. A guy still owes me $350 for a couple of pigs he bought and didnt pay for. But the ratio must be 10000-1 for the good. :? I guess i live in an area where a man's word means something. Sorry that ya'll have such bad luck in your dealings. :?

you have any idea how much hay can move in a week?? this Feb. I bought the neighbors hay. we shipped it ALL in 6 days...85 loads.... roughly 2000 tons.... $470,000.00

now do you see WHY a person needs to be careful who he is dealing with??? had those two pigs each been worth$235,000 I am guessing you would be singing a different tune.

jigs said:
leanin' H said:
Either i must be one naive sun of a gun or ya'll must live and deal with lots of crooks! :shock: If its not a hay deal going south on some of ya, it's a bad purebred outfit screwing ya over. I'd hate to go through life feeling like everyone is dishonest. In 45 years of being raised around and now doing business for myself i have had 1 bad experience. A guy still owes me $350 for a couple of pigs he bought and didnt pay for. But the ratio must be 10000-1 for the good. :? I guess i live in an area where a man's word means something. Sorry that ya'll have such bad luck in your dealings. :?

you have any idea how much hay can move in a week?? this Feb. I bought the neighbors hay. we shipped it ALL in 6 days...85 loads.... roughly 2000 tons.... $470,000.00

now do you see WHY a person needs to be careful who he is dealing with??? had those two pigs each been worth$235,000 I am guessing you would be singing a different tune.

I dont sing any tunes. :roll: Good for you and your business. I simply pointed out everything in the world isnt exactly like what happens to you and others. And even though the pigs were ONLY worth a piddling $350, i have made countless piddling deals where nobody got screwed.

leanin' H said:
jigs said:
leanin' H said:

I dont sing any tunes. :roll: Good for you and your business. I simply pointed out everything in the world isnt exactly like what happens to you and others. And even though the pigs were ONLY worth a piddling $350, i have made countless piddling deals where nobody got screwed.

I think jigs point is that at the price of things now days, you can't afford to take a chance of getting hosed. Something like that could put a person out of business. What if your 1000/1 ratio and the 1 was your years worth of calves? I haven't been really screwed by any deals, but how can a person take a chance?

I do a lot of hand shake deals. and I have went backwards on deals just to be sure the guy I bought it from did not get screwed... you have to be smart in todays economy. everyone is out for themselves.
good for you if you live in a utopian society, but good business is just good business.

3 M L & C said:
leanin' H said:
jigs said:

I think jigs point is that at the price of things now days, you can't afford to take a chance of getting hosed. Something like that could put a person out of business. What if your 1000/1 ratio and the 1 was your years worth of calves? I haven't been really screwed by any deals, but how can a person take a chance?

Sounds like Jigs took a chance and sent hay to somebody on a promise??? I merely pointed out there are places where your word is worth something. Should of kept my mouth shut i guess.

leanin' H said:
3 M L & C said:
leanin' H said:

Sounds like Jigs took a chance and sent hay to somebody on a promise??? I merely pointed out there are places where your word is worth something. Should of kept my mouth shut i guess.

"Should of kept my mouth shut i guess"

Not in my book. Your word aint' no good, neither are you. I do the vast majority on a handshake, and some over the phone--they do what they say, I do what I say, works for me.

On all the local hay I have bought, I generally pay half up front and the balance after the last load is weighed. Last year I was forced to buy hay sight unseen, from someone I still haven't ever met. The seller was a broker from Texas and the hay was in ND. I wasn't very comfortable with the deal but couldn't afford not to buy it, it saved me an easy 50/ton. I did get him to let me pay for one load with the agreement that if I thought it suitable I had to pay for all the rest of the hay up front. I bought the hay by the bale, I got lucky and it worked out. I hope I never have to buy hay that way again. Unfortunately, when I have gotten the bad end of a deal it is with someone I know. I gave someone a tip on a set of cows that was for sale, his customer bought at least 700 hd. I did finally get about 1/10 of my commission out of the deal but had to beg for that. I had made an agreement before I passed the information on and he didn't hold up his end of the bargain.
H, I sure agree with you. A man's word has to be worth something. Most everyone in this part of the world is pretty dependable, if they aren't everyone knows it. I pay for most of my customers cattle at the barn and send an invoice to the customer after they have seen the cattle. I have never met one of my customers, I have boughten cattle for him for 3yrs with no problems.

On our hay deal with the more-or-less local trucker (broker) who looked at the hay and bought it; the bales didn't weigh what we thought they would; so we refunded him $5/ton on the price. Helped him and we felt good about it. We'd like to do business with him again.

Not very many people would do that FH. Lots of times people selling hay don't care about the freight and neither do most truckers for that matter. Bales that are light or too heavy both have a huge impact on freight. When you are hauling several hundred miles it makes a big difference.

I sold a bunch of hay last winter I requested a guy bring a cashiers check for the first load it pissed him off but he did it. After he seen what the hay was like he paid for 7 more loads upfront. He bought another 10 loads from me and others and his cash was good. I sold another 5 to 600 bales to others all paid with a check but they all wanted hay so bad they paid before they even hauled it as many guys last winter were making deals and then re-selling the hay to someone else that brought cash first.The hay went to Wisconsin, nebraska ,Iowa and Mn.

Last year we purchased about 1500 bales and all of the hay we put 1/2 down when we spoke for it. That way they wouldn't sell it out from under us, and they felt better having that much before any hay left his place.

Couldn't agree more H . Ive never been stuck and have sold bulls when the guy said he couldn't pay me and the money always shows up.

Local vet did some work for a customer for which they were going to deliver a butcher hog to the processor for him as payment. The vet saw those folks in town a few months later and wondered when they were going to deliver his pork. The answer, "Sorry, but the one that we had picked out for you died."

No way would I do a handshake deal or check or the like anymore around here! NO WAY!!!! It's cash or a completely covered way of payment, even on a rabbit!!

Yep gone are the days where a handshake and a mans word are all that is needed. Way too much at stake anymore.

starvin'dog said:
Missouri, the Show Me state. In my best Tom Cruise impersonation "Show Me the Money!"

:D ....Yep! ...and I'm dancing like Cuba Gooding Jr. saying "Show Me the Money".... :D

jigs said:
redrobin said:
jigs said:
pay up front is the best. we have some guys who are always late payers, those guys were paying $275 when everyone else was at $225... I am not a banker, you want to take forever to pay, then I will add interest.

several of our guys like to put down $1000 per load, buy 20 loads.... then as we load out we bill them the total owed, minus the down payment. keeps me from selling out from under him, and keeps them from stiffing me

CASH IS KING !!! I never turn down a man with an empty truck and a stack of hundreds!
hope it was what they wanted... but after the message on my machine, I just HAD to send the hay..... I still laugh my ass of when I play that thing!
The deal went real good from our end. Thanks again. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

redrobin said:
jigs said:
redrobin said:
The deal went real good from our end. Thanks again. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Terry had hauled hay in there for another guy a few years before that, remembered the driveway !!

... said he got the urge to date his cousin down there...what the hell is up with that??

Latest posts