• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shortgrass

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yes, we got one back in the late summer last year.

She's quite a story. The most determined - or stubborn - dog we've ever had maybe with the exception of the Great Pyr we used to have.

Sometimes she helps with the cattle and other times she's lucky I go unarmed!!

The other day I was walking through the cows and she picked one out on her own and just started driving it. Wouldn't stop when I called. Oooh man . . .

But yesterday she was a good help when I pulled a few calves off of grass to take to the sale. She's always had this thing about nipping my hand too. Not to hurt me, just to let me know she's there. But I already know!

I'm sure not a good teacher though, I'll readily admit. It's sure hard to start a new one when you've had a good one.

No special breeding in ours, just a BC cross mother and a BC cross male, a regular "farm mix" accident! No training for working either so we got what we got - no surprises. Just a local mutt.

But these dog's instinct to work gets them into trouble at times. She usually goes into the kennel if we are away for a while cuz she's been known to chase cattle at times.

She's a great companion though, jumps up to share the lawn swing as soon as someone sits down on it. That's especially enjoyable when she's just come from a swim in the pond . . . :?

Mine is a pup recieved as a gift from a fella my SIL & daughter rent grass from. She is supposed to be border collie, and looks it. A pretty thing. Some dog trainers on this site could make something of her prolly. I'm too dumb:).

Latest posts