• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sick Calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowman40

Reaction score
I was wondering what to vaccinate my baby calves with. I have some calves that is about two to three months old that are coughing and breathing hard and with their heads drooped down. I gave them 5cc of Nuflor a piece. Are there something I can do to prevent my other calves from getting sick. All your help will be deeply appreciated.

cowman40 said:
I was wondering what to vaccinate my baby calves with. I have some calves that is about two to three months old that are coughing and breathing hard and with their heads drooped down. I gave them 5cc of Nuflor a piece. Are there something I can do to prevent my other calves from getting sick. All your help will be deeply appreciated.

Nuflor should do the trick. Make sure to give them the second shot. The only thing I can see is you might have underdosed them. Depends what they weigh, but 200 lbs would be 6 ccs. And a 2-3 month old calf should at least weigh that much I would think.

Randi is right on. Nuflor works as good as anything in young calves. 5 cc. might not have been quite enough, though. See what happens and be sure and give them the second round. You can give double the cc's and only give one dose to older cattle, but that might not be a good idea on the young ones.

Vaccine is a good way to go, but it won't work on an actively sick calf. We use the Pfizer Gold program on ours when they go to pasture, and it works well. You'd want them to be a month old before doing them though.

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
Texan said:
I use Banamine and Baytril, and I put them in the same syringe (one shot).
Why?

Why not? This is what one of my vets reccomends. If you had the choice of one shot or two what would you take?
Just because your vet tells you to do it doesn't mean you have to follow his advice. The two products have different delivery requirements - do you ever read labels for yourself?

Since they're labeled for different delivery, if you mix them together, you have to be giving one of them off-label. Not to mention the fact that Banamine has pretty violent reactions with many other compounds. Fizzes and smokes and stuff like that. Even with orange juice. :lol:

You asked what I would do if I had the choice? If I had the choice, I wouldn't make cocktails like that just to save one injection. But I don't really like to use Banamine in situations like that, anyway. Kinda hard to tell if you're getting a response from your antimicrobial if you're propping them up with Banamine at the same time. But - whatever...

Banamine and NuFlor make a wonderful, whitish glue like substance when mixed together, even in trace amounts of one of them.. Learned that last year, lol.. Also learned to make sure I wasn't short on syringes...

Texan, I guess that Baytril/Banamine shot would be given intracutaneous!!!

I do agree with the combination though.....just not in the same shot. You're right that you don't really know if they are feeling better long term or just on a Banamine high but I think they recover sooner if they feel better from the Banamine.

Texan said:
Texan said:

Why not? This is what one of my vets reccomends. If you had the choice of one shot or two what would you take?
Just because your vet tells you to do it doesn't mean you have to follow his advice. The two products have different delivery requirements - do you ever read labels for yourself?

Since they're labeled for different delivery, if you mix them together, you have to be giving one of them off-label. Not to mention the fact that Banamine has pretty violent reactions with many other compounds. Fizzes and smokes and stuff like that. Even with orange juice. :lol:

You asked what I would do if I had the choice? If I had the choice, I wouldn't make cocktails like that just to save one injection. But I don't really like to use Banamine in situations like that, anyway. Kinda hard to tell if you're getting a response from your antimicrobial if you're propping them up with Banamine at the same time. But - whatever...

I guess in Texas it's common practice to overrule vets with 30 years experience? If it didn't work I wouldn't do it and i've yet to melt any syringes.

I guess in Texas it's common practice to overrule vets with 30 years experience? If it didn't work I wouldn't do it and i've yet to melt any syringes.
In Texas, it's a common practice for our vets to listen to those of us that have more experience than they do. I feel sure that the more experienced ranchers up there in the Sandhills have the same type of relationships with their vets that we do down here. Maybe you could check with some of them?

As you continue to evolve in this business through working harder and studying harder, you will realize that some vets are often negligent in their acceptance of the use of BQA practices. Until some of them are shown the error of their ways, they will continue to do things that have an adverse impact on our livelihood simply because it doesn't really impact their own.

It's unfortunate that some vets simply don't feel that injection site lesions are any concern of their's.

It's unfortunate that some vets aren't concerned about drug interactions once it gets under the skin and comes in contact with edible tissue.

It's unfortunate that some vets don't understand that green, slimy, oozing tissue damage in a package of beef or in somebody's roast beef sandwich is an issue that bothers many consumers.

It's also unfortunate that some of us as producers not only have to be on the forefront of changing our old ways of doing things, but also have to make an attempt to change the ways of our vets at the same time.

We are the ones who have the most to lose from improper use of pharmaceutical products.

We are the ones who have the most to lose from products being taken off the market because of tissue residues due to improper dosing or delivery.

We are the ones under scrutiny by all types of consumer activist groups who are intent on taking away our access to some of these products.

And we are the ones who have the most to lose by turning off consumers because somebody failed to consider the fact that somebody eats what we pump those products into.

My suggestion to you is to keep on working harder and studying harder. Work a little harder - give two injections instead of one if that's what it takes to give them properly. Study a little harder - read the labels on the products you use and know the reasons for those labels. Maybe when you are comfortable with that, you can begin to help your vet learn something that will help us all.

IL Rancher said:
Banamine and NuFlor make a wonderful, whitish glue like substance when mixed together, even in trace amounts of one of them..
Banamine does the same thing with Norcalciphos. I was going to let some drip in with an IV a couple of years ago on a down cow. I thought I'd better check it first, so I put a drop of each on a four wheeler fender. It looked okay for a minute or so...then it started foaming and bubbling. It turned into sort of a white JB Weld that's still on that fender today. I skipped the Banamine on that cow... :lol:

Texan said:
In Texas, it's a common practice for our vets to listen to those of us that have more experience than they do. I feel sure that the more experienced ranchers up there in the Sandhills have the same type of relationships with their vets that we do down here. Maybe you could check with some of them?

As you continue to evolve in this business through working harder and studying harder, you will realize that some vets are often negligent in their acceptance of the use of BQA practices. Until some of them are shown the error of their ways, they will continue to do things that have an adverse impact on our livelihood simply because it doesn't really impact their own.

It's unfortunate that some vets simply don't feel that injection site lesions are any concern of their's.

It's unfortunate that some vets aren't concerned about drug interactions once it gets under the skin and comes in contact with edible tissue.

It's unfortunate that some vets don't understand that green, slimy, oozing tissue damage in a package of beef or in somebody's roast beef sandwich is an issue that bothers many consumers.

It's also unfortunate that some of us as producers not only have to be on the forefront of changing our old ways of doing things, but also have to make an attempt to change the ways of our vets at the same time.

We are the ones who have the most to lose from improper use of pharmaceutical products.

We are the ones who have the most to lose from products being taken off the market because of tissue residues due to improper dosing or delivery.

We are the ones under scrutiny by all types of consumer activist groups who are intent on taking away our access to some of these products.

And we are the ones who have the most to lose by turning off consumers because somebody failed to consider the fact that somebody eats what we pump those products into.

My suggestion to you is to keep on working harder and studying harder. Work a little harder - give two injections instead of one if that's what it takes to give them properly. Study a little harder - read the labels on the products you use and know the reasons for those labels. Maybe when you are comfortable with that, you can begin to help your vet learn something that will help us all.

Nice lecture, we haven't given a shot anywhere but the neck for 10 years . We try to raise a quality piece of meat, it seems the problem animals in our industry seem to come either from the south or the dairys. Watch your step when you get off your high horse.

Texan said:

Nice lecture, we haven't given a shot anywhere but the neck for 10 years . We try to raise a quality piece of meat, it seems the problem animals in our industry seem to come either from the south or the dairys. Watch your step when you get off your high horse.

Is it common practice in the US for those trying to produce a quality piece of meat to play chemist and inject drugs in combinations not approved by testing and written on the label? It is scary there are people like you who promote this on a site where some newbie may think that is normal and apply to any combination of drugs approved for cattle. I am beginning to see why some are so opposed to MID that would trace beef back to the ranch if this is common practice in the US.

Texan is right. Keep up that practice and experts like you will get more and more meds taken away from producers and then we will be forced to call a vet to administer vasccines and meds like in Europe.

i do that same shot. I mix 20cc of baytril and 10 cc of banamine together in my medidart for my stockers and shoot them in the neck. Works great. Dont know what i am susposed to do but this works. I know thats to much injection in one spot but like i said it works so therfore i do. The next day than i give a shot of 8 cc of draxxon and in a couple days the calves are jumping and eating again. But who knows every calf is differant and so are the eyes looking at the sick animal to decide what it needs.

Nice lecture...
Thank you, Work Hard and Study Hard. Thank you very much. :oops:

You have my permission to print it out. You might even print an extra copy for your vet (he really needs it). Study it hard...maybe you should laminate a copy of it and tape it to the beer refrigerator you've probably got out in the shop. That way you can see it A LOT. :lol:

...it seems the problem animals in our industry seem to come either from the south or the dairys.
I agree. I've just about given up on the dairymen. They use your philosophy - 'who cares...it works, why not do it?' Not sure how to counter that philosophy...

The small southern producers represent a challenge to us - there's no denying that. But I've found that many of them are not only willing to learn, they are anxious to learn. They want to do things right. The best thing we can do to help them is to assume a leadership role and lead by example.

Latest posts