• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sick Foal - Any suggestions!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Came home from our short trip to AB and fed up all the cows and horses. One foal isn't feeling well tonight. She ate well this morning but tonight she doesn't have an appetite and she's like a ton of bricks standing. She's hanging her head low and is very slow and not herself. I have a feeling they were all out playing in the snow during our mini blizzard. Any suggestions?

If you can catch her. Take her temperature and feel her all over. She might be sore or sick and need some antibodics. Is she pooping and peeing? Kicking at her stomach or laying down and getting up?

Kato,

I ve started her on pen G just in case of pnemonia. Im thinking that is what she has as it was real wet snow and the cool wind. How long do you think I should keep her on the pen G?

Did you take her temperature? That would have told you if she needed antibiotic. If there is no fever, you don't need to be treating her with antibiotic.

I sure wish people would temp things before they get out the syringe. Tells a lot of things.

Good luck with her. I hope she gets well.

I wished I could change the way this all ended. You people need a GREAT year next year, thoughts and prayers are with you that you luck changes fast.

I can't believe this and I hate to even post this but the foal died tonight. She was still warm when we found her. She went thru a rail and another fence and was laying right outside the main paddock. We checked in on her all thru out the day several times and she seemed to be feeling better and I even sent my girlfriend to the vet today to get there advice. This is very upsetting and happened so quick. Have to phone the vet and let them know what happened. Maybe they can come have a look and make sure the others dont wind up with the same problem. Other horses are all healthy and doing well.

Sorry M_R,
If it's any consolation, I have seen my colts running and playing and 20 minutes later be stretched out dead. It's really a tough situation. And I feel for you..........

Latest posts