• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sick horse out of ideas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

KJ

Reaction score
Came home this afternoon from finishing up xmas shopping finally and one horse didnt come down for dinner. When we found here she was just laying there not moving. she will get up and walk maybe 50 feet and quit. shes got gut movements, no fever, eyes and nose are clear, not rolling or kicking at her stomach, and im out of ideas, and the vet hasnt been much help either.

I had one like that this fall she was a wet mare and the vet figured she had west nile I ended up shooting her as she got to where she was paralized in her rear end and I could'nt watch her suffer.

Maybe she slipped and fell and has a broken pelvis? I had one, one time and I had to keep him locked up as long as possible in a small stall. Vet said they get to feeling better pretty quick and try to run or something and rebreak it. He healed up alright, after way too much time in a small stall. Good luck.

shes a 10yo qh mare. current coggins test just got the results back a month or so ago. She just wont move far at all, mostly she just lies around. weve had 4 vets look at her and they are just as stumped as i am

Could she have eaten something weird ?

I know my old Appy got sick and puny and he had a patial blockage in the esophagus due to some feed he'd gotten in a big hurry eating.

It wasn't easy to detect by the vet...so we just went ahead a tubed him to get some med's into his tummy anyway...and found the wad of feed.

finally got it all figured out the government trapper has been using some screwy poison on they coyotes, which a)he isnt supposed to do and b) he was in the horse pasture which is also unneeded. Hopefully she will finish pulling out of it

I attempted to ask him about he says hes not using poison and a bunch of other bs. His boss got a hold of him about the time i dropped off the vet bills and what we figured i lost not having her to use around the ranch. I have the feeling hes not working anymore :)

Latest posts