• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Silencer Chute

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
If you have three phase power-the Canadian dealer has a good price on one set up for it. The guy ordered it then found out he didn't have three phase.

All he needs is a rotary phase converter, then he could run it on single phase power. Just Google it and you will get all kinds of information.

I'm not sure how much HP is required but if it is 10 HP or less ( probably about 1 HP I'm guessing ) you can just replace the motor.

I made my first "Phase converter " about 40 years ago. I hooked up a salvage 20 HP 3600 rpm three phase motor and a 1 HP single phase motor. Turn power on to both and the 1 HP was mounted to a board with a hinge. Fan belt to spin the three phase motor pushed down with foot to spin thew big motor then lift foot so belt comes off and shut off the single phase motor - - - ran a small machine shop like that for several years.

Later I found I could hook a bank of capacitors to the third leg and eliminated the single phase motor. Used the same 20 hp 3,600 rpm motor as a phase convertor for probably 30 years in the machine shop with no problem.

Now it is only used at harvest as we could only get 10HP out of the 200 amp service at the dryer and we wanted a bigger auger so we fire up the 20 HP phase convertor then a 20 hp three phase motor and we can really move some grain in a hurry! Electric bill dropped to about 1/2 of what it was when we used the single phase motor!

The 3,600 RPM three phase motors can normally be bought for salvage prices as many factories are going out. Just make sure the motor you use is bigger or the same size as the largest motor you want to use. The higher the RPM of the motor you use for the convertor the smoother the power out will be.

Hope I did not confuse the thread but thought someone might need this info as power requirments keep getting larger and three phase can be quite costly!

Northern Rancher said:
We have 900 cows to tag can't wait to have the hydraulic chute to help with that.
A couple of good team ropin' hands could cover that in a couple of days. No need to get all mechanical on us. :wink: 8)

per said:
Northern Rancher said:
We have 900 cows to tag can't wait to have the hydraulic chute to help with that.
A couple of good team ropin' hands could cover that in a couple of days. No need to get all mechanical on us. :wink: 8)

Just think of the horses that would be broke to rope off when all 900 are tagged. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Northern Rancher said:

Just think of the horses that would be broke to rope off when all 900 are tagged. :D
I would pay to see an attempt at tagging 900 cows out on the range. It would take a while.

Latest posts