• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SKINNY Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Animal can gradually get thin in front of ones eyes and not know it. I try to look at others cattle condition and compare to mine. Over stocking??
TO many cows for the daily hay fed. Protein cake vs hard tubs??

PATB said:
.....The person leasing out the pasture needs to intervene if the cows are in bad way. Remember the Northeast plays by different rules then the cattle states and the land owner stands to take as much blame or more for the cows as the actural owner of the cows.

Yep, the landowner should be the first to intervene and from the description of the cattle, it sounds like he should of intervened some time ago. I would imagine that these pastures have been grazed into the ground and would think the landowner would be concerned about that even if he doesn't give a hang about the cattle.

I would keep an eye out, if they are not moved to a fresh pasture or feeding doesn't commence in short order... turn 'em in.

They need to be fed ASAP since the grass/feed is most likely under 3 plus feed of snow with all the bad weather they have been having in that area. The Landowner will take some heat for allowing the cattle to get in such bad condition regardless who's fault it is. Depending on the state law's he may be facing criminal animal abuse charges since they are on his land and there his responsibility. Just remember folks this is the east where a person can freeze to death on your doorstep and nothing happens but if you leave your alaskian husky on in 30 degrees weather overnite you may face jail time and a stiff fine.

Funny how everybody wants to run everybody elses life these days.

Most of you folks sound like a bunch of 1st grade tattle tells.

"Mrs. Hunnybuns, Jimmy needs a spanking, he knocked my blocks over!"

Mind your own business and tend your own flock!

nortexsook said:

Texan,you are wrong on this deal,cattlemen work to hard and sacrifice to much tending cattle to look the other way as some wannabe gives the cattle industry a bad name.
Listen closely ..WE DONT NEED THESE KIND IN THE CATTLE BUISNESS.
They need culling,Now quit makin yourself look foolish.
good luck

Hay maker
That's my sentiment. The pictures that I love to see here, show well fed cattle in sub zero temps, with wind breaks, no fancy barns. Yet, these animals all look very good. It's a point of pride to a rancher/farmer, that his/her animals are healthy and look good.

I took some not great pics today on my way home. The close up pic is a heifer. Hard to see detail. I am sure there are worse looking cattle, but these guys could sure use some good tucker.

000_3594.jpg

000_3595.jpg

HAY MAKER said:
nortexsook said:

Texan,you are wrong on this deal,cattlemen work to hard and sacrifice to much tending cattle to look the other way as some wannabe gives the cattle industry a bad name.
Listen closely ..WE DONT NEED THESE KIND IN THE CATTLE BUISNESS.
They need culling,Now quit makin yourself look foolish.
good luck

The only foolish one is yourself. You can't be an appeaser. These folks don't meet your standards. Too bad, they should be allowed to run their own operations. You think you are "helping the industry's image". You are not. Soon enough your standards will not be high enough for the greenie HSUS crowd. You will end up like the great appeaser Neville Chamberlain, thinking if you can clean up other's messes there will be "peace in our time" with the HSUS crowd. Not happening. See what happened after the Munich Agreement for historical perspective.

Didn't Jesus say: "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye"????????

Those cattle don't look good but they look better than I was thinking they would from your description. They need to be fed better, and made sure that they are getting enough water.

Well, well, well where are all the stone casters now that the pictures have been posted???????????????????

kelpies4me,that #226 looks like she has some age on her,hard to keep weight on an old broke mouth cow,and just looking at the pictures,I would call her a 3 again just pictures but the ones around what looks like a syrup tub look better. But still obvious cattle are not being kept right,just from lookin tho,I dont think authorities would step in on this deal.
good luck

I think things will change, either the land owner will give them his better quality round bales, or the cattle owner will step up. He's been given a lot of pressure by people he knows. The pics are not great, and no, they are not walking dead, but compared to how they looked last winter, it's almost not the same animals. I have you all to blame for posting pics of very healthy, robust animals in places like Saskatoon SK in the WINTER! I figure if cattle can thrive in winter there, there is no reason they can't here.

nortexsook said:
Well, well, well where are all the stone casters now that the pictures have been posted???????????????????

What are you crowin about,before the pictures you were promoting look the other way from cattle that were described as bs 2,you know what Emaciated is ?
After thinking about this,I have to back up,Texan had enough sense to wait and see,something I did'nt do,its obvious the cattle are thin, and obvious not BS 2,hate to admit you were right,you ole fart but looks like you were..................good luck & Happy New Year

PS IM done.

Thanks HM. Hard to tell well in thick winter coats. Thanks for the support. I have no dog in this fight, as it were, I just hate to see animals not doing well, when there should be a simple answer. I will check in tomorrow and see if indeed, the owner showed up with sileage. They were balling for it at 1:00, and the guy wasn't there yet.

nortexsook said:
LOL.....dumb asses. I can't quit LMAO.....

Ohhhh sooooo quick to cast stones......

Kelpies is conservative compared to the idiots that you clowns were crowing about getting involved......bunch of Uncle Toms.....

For you dumb asses (like hay flake) I have given you some good studying to do today:

1.Neville Chamberlane
2. Peace in our time
3. Appeasement
4. Munich Agreement
5. Uncle Tom

If the shoe fits you dumb asses should wear 'em!

:lol: :lol: you didn't get what you wanted for Christmas, did you?

nortexsook said:
LOL.....dumb asses. I can't quit LMAO.....

Ohhhh sooooo quick to cast stones......

Kelpies is conservative compared to the idiots that you clowns were crowing about getting involved......bunch of Uncle Toms.....

For you dumb asses (like hay flake) I have given you some good studying to do today:

1.Neville Chamberlane
2. Peace in our time
3. Appeasement
4. Munich Agreement
5. Uncle Tom

If the shoe fits you dumb asses should wear 'em!

I edited my post you ole fart,hate to admit you were right,My apologies
good luck

I don't think any body was out of line on this from the first post on this ! And by Tex what is your avg temp for winter?

nortexsook said:
The only foolish one is yourself. You can't be an appeaser. These folks don't meet your standards. Too bad, they should be allowed to run their own operations. You think you are "helping the industry's image". You are not. Soon enough your standards will not be high enough for the greenie HSUS crowd. You will end up like the great appeaser Neville Chamberlain, thinking if you can clean up other's messes there will be "peace in our time" with the HSUS crowd. Not happening. See what happened after the Munich Agreement for historical perspective.

Didn't Jesus say: "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye"????????

Nortexsook for the sake of clarification, if you don't mind, if in fact there were cattle in your neighborhood that you were aware of that were dieing of starvation would your position still be, they should be allowed to run their own operation?

HAY MAKER said:
...if you want you can come and get me and drive up there...
I ain't going to New York with you...or anybody else. Admit it - you're just looking for a free ride to get close to the border so you can cross the line and hustle Canadian women. And then you'd find out that you don't really want an Eastern Canadian woman, so you'd head for Saskatchewan looking for that Angus/Paint breeder chick that you dream about at night. And then I'd have to drive all the way back to Texas by myself. Nope. :lol:

Latest posts