• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
What is the style of hat that Kosmo kid wears? I have been looking for one like that a long time. I guess I just havn't found the right spot to look.

Not trying to butt in here, and if I'm wrong, Mr. Soap can correct me, but it appears to me that the Kid wears a palm leaf hat with an Elko crown and the brim is rolled regular style. You can order these hats from Big Bend Saddlery, Atwood Hats, or other places. They are easy to shape, just dip 'em in water and poke and pinch to your heart's content. They will stand up to heavy rain and take lots of abuse. On the downside, they are heavy to my taste and if you don't get eyelets in the crown, they can sure be plenty hot to wear.

It pays to shop around. I ordered a nice American straw from nrsworld.com, and a couple of weeks later I was on the Cavender's website and the same straw was HALF OFF. I couldn't get the plastic out fast enough. 3 days later the Cavender's price was higher than NRS's. Now I have one to wear for work and one for dressin' up a bit. The wife made me throw my old Resistol straw away. She said it was too sweat stained to wear and stunk too bad to be in her house any longer. What can I say? She's a great cook and it's gonna get cold this winter, so out it went.

loomixguy said:
Not trying to butt in here, and if I'm wrong, Mr. Soap can correct me, but it appears to me that the Kid wears a palm leaf hat with an Elko crown and the brim is rolled regular style. You can order these hats from Big Bend Saddlery, Atwood Hats, or other places. They are easy to shape, just dip 'em in water and poke and pinch to your heart's content. They will stand up to heavy rain and take lots of abuse. On the downside, they are heavy to my taste and if you don't get eyelets in the crown, they can sure be plenty hot to wear.

It pays to shop around. I ordered a nice American straw from nrsworld.com, and a couple of weeks later I was on the Cavender's website and the same straw was HALF OFF. I couldn't get the plastic out fast enough. 3 days later the Cavender's price was higher than NRS's. Now I have one to wear for work and one for dressin' up a bit. The wife made me throw my old Resistol straw away. She said it was too sweat stained to wear and stunk too bad to be in her house any longer. What can I say? She's a great cook and it's gonna get cold this winter, so out it went.

You are one smart man!! :wink:

I dunno if I woulda threw it out that easy, looks to me like you coulda hid it in your pickup or sumthin.
As you know it takes a lot of sweat horse manure and cow pies and some mud to get a hat broken and fittin right.

2012-07-09-08.51.51.jpg

good luck

When you have showered in the morning, and put on new work clothes; and somethin' doesn't smell quite right in the pickup; it's probably time for a new hat...

3 M L & C said:
What is the style of hat that Kosmo kid wears? I have been looking for one like that a long time. I guess I just havn't found the right spot to look.

Kosmo Kid is a man of many hats, so I'm not even quite sure of which one you are talking about. :wink: The one he wears quite often would look more at home back in the old country, across the water, in merry old England.

Here is one to match yours, HAY MAKER. I have been tempted to throw it away, but it has the advantage of being able to stay on my head in any kind of wind, no stampede string necessary. I can drive down a good road on the Polaris Ranger going 50 mph, and it just stays put with no problem. :)

Itdoestakeawhile800x600.jpg

It does take a certain amount of hard work and "sweat equity" to have one look this bad. :roll: :wink:

I'm jealous of the Polaris of yours, this damn Kawasaki mule puts along about 20 mph top speed and when I drive these steep roads it's about 12 mph, seriously thinking about tradin the damn thing.
Good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I'm jealous of the Polaris of yours, this damn Kawasaki mule puts along about 20 mph top speed and when I drive these steep roads it's about 12 mph, seriously thinking about tradin the damn thing.
Good luck

Go for it, HAY MAKER. At the stage of life you and I are in, we'd just as well enjoy a few luxuries. :wink:

Soapweed said:
HAY MAKER said:
Good luck

Go for it, HAY MAKER. At the stage of life you and I are in, we'd just as well enjoy a few luxuries. :wink:

That's a fact and adds credibility to that old sayin about quality vs quanity.
good luck

Thats a palm leaf. You can order one from www.discountwesternwear.com

3 M L&C:

I have temporarily misplaced that hat at the moment, but I think I remember who the manufacturer is. I believe it to be a Larry Mahan Guatemalan palm leaf. I thoroughly soaked the hat in water when I first received it and shaped it to what it is today. Good luck!

P.S. I must admit that I was really excited with your question because I assumed you wanted to know where my "flat cap" came from. Though, I am sure you do not care, that hat is a John Hanly woven in Ireland.

http://www.sheplers.com/Cowboy-Hats/Cowboy-Hats/Straw-Cowboy-Hats/Larry-Mahan-Guatemalan-Palm-Straw-Cowboy-Hat/pc/533/c/534/sc/888/11506.pro?source=AdWords_ProductExtensions&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKj2jMmcjrECFUgDQAodCzx_Gg

Kosmo said:
P.S. I must admit that I was really excited with your question because I assumed you wanted to know where my "flat cap" came from. Though, I am sure you do not care, that hat is a John Hanly woven in Ireland.

Would you mind posting a picture of your "flat cap"? You have me intreged. I also wear many hats, i'm always looking to broaden my collection. It drives my wife crazy. I don't believe I have seen it. I havn't been on here that long.

Latest posts