• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ND Farmer

Reaction score
How are the ranchers in your area coping with the dry weather???? How r pasture conditions? Will the Sandhills area have a winter hay supply? Here in sc N Dak things are ok but getting really dry now. We had some hay to cut and with excess hay from last yr the cattlemen in this area can make it through the winter. A few cattle guys have sold a few cull cows, no major reductions yet...

ND Farmer said:
How are the ranchers in your area coping with the dry weather???? How r pasture conditions? Will the Sandhills area have a winter hay supply? Here in sc N Dak things are ok but getting really dry now. We had some hay to cut and with excess hay from last yr the cattlemen in this area can make it through the winter. A few cattle guys have sold a few cull cows, no major reductions yet...

Things are pretty tough around here. Do you have any room for cattle? I might just be able to supply some. :wink:

Pastures are going backwards fast. Even pastures that haven't had cattle in them all summer, with "fresh" grass, have much less feed in them than there was a month ago. As I am typing this, the thermometer reads 109.2 degrees, and a 20 mph south wind is just sapping everything fast. I bought my neighbor's hay recently for $200 per ton, but there is just about half the volume that he usually has to sell. On the current radar, there looks to be showers about 60 miles to the west, but lightning causing fires is a major concern. Ranching just isn't as much fun right now as it usually is. :roll:

Its about 100 deg here with a bit of a breeze. I d love to help you out but my son has enough for our feed supply. I guess we will just have to keep hopeing or rain.

Soapweed said:
ND Farmer said:

Things are pretty tough around here. Do you have any room for cattle? I might just be able to supply some. :wink:

Pastures are going backwards fast. Even pastures that haven't had cattle in them all summer, with "fresh" grass, have much less feed in them than there was a month ago. As I am typing this, the thermometer reads 109.2 degrees, and a 20 mph south wind is just sapping everything fast. I bought my neighbor's hay recently for $200 per ton, but there is just about half the volume that he usually has to sell. On the current radar, there looks to be showers about 60 miles to the west, but lightning causing fires is a major concern. Ranching just isn't as much fun right now as it usually is. :roll:

But horse sales are still fun, aren't they? How was the one yesterday? :)

LazyWP said:
Soapweed said:
ND Farmer said:

But horse sales are still fun, aren't they? How was the one yesterday? :)

Pretty good. The two saddle horses I sold "loose" each brought $1275. I came home happy. :)

We just finished cutting the last of our high ground I've got 160 acres on the ground. Then on to the meadows 2 to 300 acres of it . If your needing hay I can get ya some bought resonable.Have room for more cattle here unless it gets real dry.I'd could handle another 100 pairs I'd just have to do a little fenceing.

Denny said:
We just finished cutting the last of our high ground I've got 160 acres on the ground. Then on to the meadows 2 to 300 acres of it . If your needing hay I can get ya some bought resonable.Have room for more cattle here unless it gets real dry.I'd could handle another 100 pairs I'd just have to do a little fenceing.

Plan to send 140 yearling heifers (two truck loads) your way in about a week and a half. Thanks for having feed available.

katrina said:
soap... whitch ones did you sell.... Hope not my gray.....

Nope, still have the gray. I sold a paint that we didn't ride very much (not Goose), and a little fairly gentle but rough riding stocking-legged sorrel. With hay at $200 pre ton, I figured we didn't need them. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Denny said:

Plan to send 140 yearling heifers (two truck loads) your way in about a week and a half. Thanks for having feed available.

katrina said:

Nope, still have the gray. I sold a paint that we didn't ride very much (not Goose), and a little fairly gentle but rough riding stocking-legged sorrel. With hay at $200 pre ton, I figured we didn't need them. :wink:

I'll just keep haying and fenceing. :wink:

Denny said:
Soapweed said:
Denny said:

katrina said:

Glad you asked, Soap, katrina. I was going to....so instead I'll ask this:
You bought that nice buckskin that Peach rides at the sale I was interested
in a sorrell horse, think it was a couple of years ago...anyhow, you kept
the sorrell for yourself, but we haven't seen any recent pictures of him.
How's he turning out????

Pretty good. The two saddle horses I sold "loose" each brought $1275. I came home happy.

Hey Soap pardon my ignorance........what do you mean by "loose" ???
Thank's
Bruce

Bruce said:
Pretty good. The two saddle horses I sold "loose" each brought $1275. I came home happy.

Thank's
Bruce

Loose means not ridden through the ring. I have a friend that sold one are the same sale. He sold his loose, as he was afraid to ride him through. Still got $1100 out of him. Sounds like the loose, potential horses were brining pretty good money.

Faster horses said:
Denny said:
Soapweed said:

Glad you asked, Soap, katrina. I was going to....so instead I'll ask this:
You bought that nice buckskin that Peach rides at the sale I was interested
in a sorrell horse, think it was a couple of years ago...anyhow, you kept
the sorrell for yourself, but we haven't seen any recent pictures of him.
How's he turning out????

He's not very pretty, but he's a pretty good horse.

Being downright honest, we tend to use our Polaris Rangers too much. :roll:

We are guilty of rounding up big pastures with the Rangers, and then having someone bring a trailer with horses to sort, brand, or whatever. Having the trailer on hand helps to make a wing for sorting, and also makes a convenient on the spot restroom facility. :wink: Our old standby horses tend to get used more frequently with this method than do the young horses that need a lot of riding. Peach and I are getting up in years, and the Kosmo Kid is more interested in function than fashion, so this is how we do things. :oops:

LazyWP said:
Bruce said:

Thank's
Bruce

Loose means not ridden through the ring. I have a friend that sold one are the same sale. He sold his loose, as he was afraid to ride him through. Still got $1100 out of him. Sounds like the loose, potential horses were brining pretty good money.

The trouble with riding one through is that you have to stand in line out in the hot summer sun, and then you don't get to watch the sale. :wink: I was honest and told that the paint was a bit cinchy, and that you didn't want to saddle him in a box stall because he'd blow up. Usually I'd just hobble him outside the barn door, and he would be fine. He was a big good looking rascal; he weighed 1275 pounds and brought 1275 dollars which was a dollar per pound. I guaranteed both horses to be sound. The guy that bought the sorrel knew the horse, and would have given me a thousand dollars but we could never get together on delivery. He just happened to be at the sale, and paid $1275, which paid the commission and delivery charges. :)

Thank's LazyWP and Soapweed. Usually don't see a "loose" horse bring more than 1 or 2 bid's above slaughter price here. Usualy if you know the meat buyer is "on" you just let him go and pick him out of the pen later for an extra 20/50 dollar's. More trouble here with horse's with pretty serious problem's doped and rode through!!
Take care

Latest posts