• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweeds everywhere

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I had to cross the border this morning as my daughters truck quit her on the way home from a night shift at the hospital. My son was coming behind me in a semi for a load of stock so I stopped at the border stock yards to wait for him to quiz him since his sister is driving his old truck. A fellow waiting at the yards had just come over night from Gordon Nebraska where he had Soap bidding against him on a horse.
He said to tell Soap " Hi from the short fat guy" :D

Faster horses said:
Did Soap get the horse? :p :wink:

Yes, and he's kind of a nice palomino. He originated at Turner, Montana, and was bred by Miles and Linda Hutton, so it is a global society we live in. :wink:

He is five years old and is named SPJ San Peppy Storm. He has got a lot of action and try, and I kind of think he might pan out alright.

This picture doesn't do him justice, but he was antsy enough that I didn't want to have to walk home if he got away. :roll: :wink:

Newhorse.jpg

Soapweed said:
flyingS said:
Soap, how did they sell. Were loose horses any better. What did average riders sell for?

Riders from $500 to $2500, loose horses 30 to 40 cents per pound.

Congrats on the new horse Soapweed. I'm sure with the miles you put on he'll be settled into an old hand in just a few months.
BTW, who buys horses by the pound down there?

Silver said:
Soapweed said:
flyingS said:
Soap, how did they sell. Were loose horses any better. What did average riders sell for?

Congrats on the new horse Soapweed. I'm sure with the miles you put on he'll be settled into an old hand in just a few months.

Short fat guys bound for Canada. :wink:

He is five years old and is named SPJ San Peppy Storm.

From some of my experience the Peppy's were a storm :lol: :lol: ... But if you got the right matchup you couldn't beat the "cow" in them or their cutting ability...The little Rusty Royal Sugar stud (also a palomino) I had could leave you sitting out in mid air when working cows if you didn't have a deep seat- and sired a lot of cow in his foals....His foals were really quiet and easy to work with--but his granddaddy on the dams side- Peppy Show (a King Ranch raised son of Mr San Peppy)- thru colts that fired about every time you got on them...
I had experience with another King Ranch raised stud (Mano Blanco) and had a stud sired by him years ago before he coliced and died- that thru the quietest of colts....

Oldtimer said:
He is five years old and is named SPJ San Peppy Storm.

From some of my experience the Peppy's were a storm :lol: :lol: ... But if you got the right matchup you couldn't beat the "cow" in them or their cutting ability...The little Rusty Royal Sugar stud (also a palomino) I had could leave you sitting out in mid air when working cows if you didn't have a deep seat- and sired a lot of cow in his foals....His foals were really quiet and easy to work with--but his granddaddy on the dams side- Peppy Show (a King Ranch raised son of Mr San Peppy)- thru colts that fired about every time you got on them...
I had experience with another King Ranch raised stud (Mano Blanco) and had a stud sired by him years ago before he coliced and died- that thru the quietest of colts....

He seems quite athletic, and has a walk that is faster than my mule's. He sure didn't like having a rope swung over his head, but after dragging around a half-full salt bunk for awhile, he came around. I was able to rope a few calves in a corral so they could be tagged. These were older calves that had missed getting tagged three weeks ago when they were born. I have high hopes for the horse. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Silver said:
Soapweed said:

Isn't that illegal? I mean, you're not supposed to have a meat market, and that must be what those horses are going for, so how are they getting around that? Or am I out in left field here?

Silver said:
Soapweed said:
Silver said:

Isn't that illegal? I mean, you're not supposed to have a meat market, and that must be what those horses are going for, so how are they getting around that? Or am I out in left field here?

LFIno :roll:

Silver said:
Soapweed said:
Silver said:

Last I knew they were still going to Canada and Mexico for slaughter..

Awww Soapweed he's just a lil camera shy. Hang around with you for a while he'll warm right up to it. He'll have to....you don't go anywhere without the camera....

Looks like a nice horse. What's with the blue rod in his nose? :wink:

You got a lot of horse there Soap. My horses are all Peppy San bred from the dam. When I used horses more.... :oops: I found most all of them had just that little extra try at the end of the day from the nervous energy they had.

Use him lots, they thrive on work. :wink:

Looks like a nice horse. What's with the blue rod in his nose?
Soap's way better with a camera than I realized. That is a professional quality optical illusion. You see he got of to get a gate. The blue rod is a Scott gate lever. You can see the box corner behind ole yellar and the gate stays coming toward him. The horse was just smelling it or something.

As far as horses going to mexico and canada, yes they do. The ban is on horse slaughter in the US, not on the sale of horses in other countries.

flyingS said:
Looks like a nice horse. What's with the blue rod in his nose?
Soap's way better with a camera than I realized. That is a professional quality optical illusion. You see he got of to get a gate. The blue rod is a Scott gate lever. You can see the box corner behind ole yellar and the gate stays coming toward him. The horse was just smelling it or something.

As far as horses going to mexico and canada, yes they do. The ban is on horse slaughter in the US, not on the sale of horses in other countries.

I understood that horses were not to be sent to slaughter in other countries either.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:
Did Soap get the horse? :p :wink:

Yes, and he's kind of a nice palomino. He originated at Turner, Montana, and was bred by Miles and Linda Hutton, so it is a global society we live in. :wink:

He is five years old and is named SPJ San Peppy Storm. He has got a lot of action and try, and I kind of think he might pan out alright.

This picture doesn't do him justice, but he was antsy enough that I didn't want to have to walk home if he got away. :roll: :wink:

Newhorse.jpg

Looks like a Buckskin to me...like the way he connects together.. :)

He doesn't have the dark points on his ears or legs tho. Looks like he has a darker tail....but it may just be in shadow. So what are you gonna call this horse Soap? Ya already got YellowStone...Storm's not somethin I'd wanna call a horse on a daily basis....knew a horse named Stormy one time...and he was always wound up.

hehe flyin S I was just pickin at Soapweed...I knew that was the gate thing. We've seen enough of Soapweeds pictures to know what color his gate levers are.

Latest posts