• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Something of a different color.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
2012calves009.jpg

They come with room to grow

2012calves008.jpg

These are the white guys

2012calves002.jpg

Orange tage are bulls

2012calves004.jpg

Yellow tags are heifers

2012calves010.jpg

This heifer may have found a home.

2012calves001.jpg

This fella like what he's found

2012calves003.jpg

He's found something to study, and I've found my way outta here! Thanks for looking.

The babies really are snow white. What a nightmare for calving in winter. :) Thanks for the pics!

Bward said:
The babies really are snow white. What a nightmare for calving in winter. :) Thanks for the pics!

I don't start until late March! White cattle can really hide in the fog - like black cattle at night.

Soapweed said:
Your calves are looking mighty fine, Shortgrass. Since they are dressed in white, they must be the "good guys." :) Thanks for the pictures.

I hope the buyers think they are good guys this fall :) :wink: . I am going to change things up a bit next year. I am putting out 3 red angus bulls this summer. That is the first time in years (about 15 or so??) that I have put out anything but a Charolais. Next year we'll have variety :!:

Shortgrass said:
Soapweed said:
Your calves are looking mighty fine, Shortgrass. Since they are dressed in white, they must be the "good guys." :) Thanks for the pictures.

I hope the buyers think they are good guys this fall :) :wink: . I am going to change things up a bit next year. I am putting out 3 red angus bulls this summer. That is the first time in years (about 15 or so??) that I have put out anything but a Charolais. Next year we'll have variety :!:

My commercial herd of the future will be black baldies bred charlaious. Those butterscotch calves you'll have are quite presentable also.

Denny said:
Shortgrass said:
Soapweed said:

My commercial herd of the future will be black baldies bred charlaious. Those butterscotch calves you'll have are quite presentable also.

My dad had a good herd of Red Angus and red baldy cows back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. He used Charolais bulls on those red cows, and got some tremendous calves. For many years, his calves were wintered on a ranch east of Long Valley, South Dakota, and summered there until they were good and saleable. One year, he took three loads of these mostly Red Angus - Charolais crossbred steers to the Bassett Livestock Auction at their second sale after the bar-be-que sale, about mid July. These three loads of steers averaged 1017 pounds and brought 87 cents per pound, which was a heck of a good lick for the time period. The sale barn personnel bragged up these steers as the heaviest yearling steers to ever go through their sale barn that early in the summer.

Denny, black baldy cows cross very well with Charolais bulls. A straight Angus cow bred to a Charolais bull will throw a nice black-nosed white calf which are also eagerly sought after by willing buyers.

Soapweed said:
Denny said:
Shortgrass said:

My dad had a good herd of Red Angus and red baldy cows back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. He used Charolais bulls on those red cows, and got some tremendous calves. For many years, his calves were wintered on a ranch east of Long Valley, South Dakota, and summered there until they were good and saleable. One year, he took three loads of these mostly Red Angus - Charolais crossbred steers to the Bassett Livestock Auction at their second sale after the bar-be-que sale, about mid July. These three loads of steers averaged 1017 pounds and brought 87 cents per pound, which was a heck of a good lick for the time period. The sale barn personnel bragged up these steers as the heaviest yearling steers to ever go through their sale barn that early in the summer.

Denny, black baldy cows cross very well with Charolais bulls. A straight Angus cow bred to a Charolais bull will throw a nice black-nosed white calf which are also eagerly sought after by willing buyers.

Yes... they do..... :nod:

Kato said:
Nice calves! We've had Charolais since 1981. They've been good to us.

This is what you get from a white cow and a Limo bull...

calf2007.jpg

We X Limmys back in the 80's. Lots of eye appeal and very marketable calves. Looking at this one, I wonder why we quit doing that??

Nice calves Shortgrass. 8) We've used Charolais bulls since '88 and have used them on all the cows starting with their second calf since '03. We consider it a terminal cross and we buy most of our replacement heifers. We have about half Angus cows and the other half are black baldy. Both do a good job for us, but all things considered I prefer the black baldy cow. Last year I bred a handfull of first calf heifers to a Charolais bull and got along really well this spring, so I think I'll put Char bull with about two-thirds of my replacement heifers come June.

BRG said:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Red Angus bulls from?

Got 2 from Creekside Charolais :???: ! I've bought Char bulls from Ken (a Char man that has dabbled with RA some)for years, and he had a couple of RA that filled my bill to a T. One performance type, and one Conquest bull for my heifers. Then I watched the Mushrush RA sale, and there was a performance bull they didn't get the floor on, and so I bought him as a spare sight unseen. After delivery, I was tickled pink. Real nice bull under the money.

Latest posts