• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sorry, but i gotta vent!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
good morning, all....for the rest of you anyway....things here not so good at this particular moment...hubby just went to pick up the 15 year old who WRECKED my car on the way to school....oh, she and the 17 year old foster daughter are okay (9 year old is home sick with an upper respiratory infection....hope to hell it's not whooping cough since that's making it's rounds in our state!!)......noone is hurt....states "i don't know what happened...i looked down and when i looked back up, i over corrected and we went off the road" Okay, here's my problem...i have had this car less than a year and she has already blown up the engine (by trying to make this car go over a mountain pass to fast), costing my 2 grand and now this...she says "it still runs, but, it's pretty banged up"....so much for traveling to work (125 miles away)tomorrow and paying the bills with that check....yes, i am thanking God right now for her being okay!! now, i just gotta make sure i don't kill her when she gets home!!! still owe $9000 on this car (she's a 1999 subaru outback...nice)....can't lay all the blame on her though....i trusted a 15 year old to drive while knowing she had a portable cd player in the car and knowing that she has a lead foot...guess i got noone else to look at but myself...not sure why i am writing this other than to vent..hubby will be home soon and guaranteed he's gonna be madder than me...guess it's time for her to get her own car with her own money (like i had to at her age) and take care of it, huh?? So sorry about the pity party i am on and taking it out on all of you!! Gonna go sit out on the porch and watch the sunrise over the madison range, be grateful that my daughter is not in an ambulance, lifeflight...or worse and smell the fresh air to clear my head and get my priorities back in line!! thank you all for simply listening...my next posting WILL be much better...PROMISE!!!

kris

kris- Been there- Done that......Even heard the exact same excuse from number two daughter when she wiped out a garbage can and parked car while totaling her own..... 2 daughters in a 5 year period wiped out 5 different vehicles-And after I found out they were OK I had the same wish to kill- began to agree with the old Chinese custom of saving only the boy babies......But they made it thru it- and I did too.........Knock on wood- the last daughter has not wrecked anything except my old fuel truck-- and a few more dents in it went unnoticed....

Son never wrecked a thing- never even had a speeding ticket--Only damage to his vehicles came when he was returning from college and a low flying Goose headoned his grill and when an occasional deer decided to commit suicide by running into the side of his vehicle....

I came to the conclusion that its easier to raise 10 boys than 1 girl....

ranchwife - been there. Done that. Thank God they are all still alive, but everyone of the six kids we have has wrecked at least one outfit and some have had more than one wreck. Our daughter was no better at driving than her five brothers were. Put a teenager in any vehicle that will go over 70mph, give them an 80 mile round trip to school (some of it gravel) and a few distractions (friends, music, hunting) and they are going to wreck. It's a given. But if they live through it, they do mature into pretty good drivers... usually.

BMR and Oldtimer.......here I sit with tears rolling down my face and you two decide to make me smile and laugh!!?? who do you think you are??? LOL!!!!! Thank you both so verrrrrry much and may your day be blessed with tons of laughter and sunshine today.....because you both made mine a whole lot brighter!!! PS.....Oldtimer, i have 4 boys and the 2 girls and i am beginning to agree with you on which is easier to raise...like my jesse says "with boys you only gotta worry about one pr*#@, and with girls you gotta worry about a million pr***"!!!!

Liberty Belle said:
ranchwife - been there. Done that. Thank God they are all still alive, but everyone of the six kids we have has wrecked at least one outfit and some have had more than one wreck. Our daughter was no better at driving than her five brothers were. Put a teenager in any vehicle that will go over 70mph, give them an 80 mile round trip to school (some of it gravel) and a few distractions (friends, music, hunting) and they are going to wreck. It's a given. But if they live through it, they do mature into pretty good drivers... usually.

80 MILES!!!! Holy smoke!! guess i should be grateful ours is only roughly 20miles and lots of folks who drive by the same time and can help out...anyway, the hubby just got home with the car and it does not look too bad....says she just ran it off the road, down the ditch and back up the embankment!!!! yes, the distractions play a big part....that and the typical teenage mentality of "it can't happen to me....I'm gonna live forever" and you got a recipe for trouble!!! thanks for the reminder, liberty!! have a super day!!!

kris

This is rancher's wife. We made our kids drive the ugliest, beat up outfit we could find. It had a good motor in it, but the outside was something else. They never put a dent it in or wreaked it, so decided after they each drove it a couple years they could move on to nicer. Guess what, had the nice one a week and time to see the body shop. Hope you insurance paid for it, but then they just raise that to pay for the money they lost. :???:

You need to be extremely grateul your kids were not hurt. one year ago today I burried my 18 yr old son. He had logged thousands of miles, no traffic fines, no bent finders. Comming home from church school with seat belts on and going the speed limit, a state trouper 1/2 mile behind him for miles, he went to sleep at the wheel. Don't give a damn about that sububran but would do anything to have my son back.

ranchwife,
also been there and done that, mine was the boy, girl never wrecked anything but things on the ranch. had to bury my best friend and my cousin when I was eighteen, just as was posted, things could be way worse than they are. Look at that beautiful sunrise I sent you, take a deep breath, thank God they are ok, THEN SMACK HER ALONG SIDE OF THE HEAD. Have a better rest of the day.

one year ago today I burried my 18 yr old son.

I am very sorry for your loss. My 18 year old drives too fast and has had a couple of minor fender benders. His car, so the damage is his to pay for. I constantly worry about him on the icey roads up here but unfortunately I guess you have to let them fly on their own sometime.

Guest:
I am sure there are a lot on this board whose heart goes out for you. I am also sure there are many who can say they have experienced something similiar. A bad moment for you Ranchwife, but you can be thankful that no one was hurt. Don't blame youself, We take a risk of even when we get out of bed in the morning.

Our daughter got her first vehicle for graduation. It was a 1976 GMC Jimmy. She loved that darn thing! She rounded it off on all four corners! Every time we turned around she had another 'incident' with it. She loaned it once to a girl with no drivers license and she side swiped another car! How's that for trouble!!

Anyway, we finally quit repairing it. She just had to drive it the way it was. Funny, the fender-benders stopped!!

I don't know what the answer is. Make them pay for their own insurance for sure. Work it out or whatever. That helps them be a little responsible. And do not forget to thank God every time they come home safe!!!

It is scary raising children through the driving age. My husband made our three kids drive with him past the time they were old enough to get a license. That went on for half a year after age 16 for each of them. Our daughter had an accident when driving on her own (inattentive driving) but the boys never did. Our youngest son said, "I didn't like the extended parental training thing but, you know what, I'm the only one in my group of friends who hasn't ever had an accident."

I often think it might help to raise the driving age even if it makes getting a job more difficult.

Guest said:
You need to be extremely grateul your kids were not hurt. one year ago today I burried my 18 yr old son. He had logged thousands of miles, no traffic fines, no bent finders. Comming home from church school with seat belts on and going the speed limit, a state trouper 1/2 mile behind him for miles, he went to sleep at the wheel. Don't give a damn about that sububran but would do anything to have my son back.

my deepest condolences for your tragic loss...read what you had to say and immediately the phone rang...it was my daughter...crying and apologizing for wrecking the car....i cried, too just hearing her voice and knowing she was okay....6 years ago this month, on our very dirt road, a young man 15 years of age, 2 hours after getting his license, wrecked his pickup...his young, promising life was ended by a fence post....i was the nurse on duty that day we tried so much in vain to bring him "back"....the worst part was the family....watching their faces when they were told the tragic news....my biggest nightmare and one you have lived through...my heart goes to you!!!!my god and his angels be with you and your family!

sw said:
ranchwife,
also been there and done that, mine was the boy, girl never wrecked anything but things on the ranch. had to bury my best friend and my cousin when I was eighteen, just as was posted, things could be way worse than they are. Look at that beautiful sunrise I sent you, take a deep breath, thank God they are ok, THEN SMACK HER ALONG SIDE OF THE HEAD. Have a better rest of the day.

took your advice and it sure helped....both the sunrise and the smack in the head (mine, not hers....LOL!!)....just turned on the radio and guess what was playing??!! martina mcbrides "in my daughter's eyes"....please excuse me while i run for the box of tissues!!!

My 13 year old was feeding cows on weekend with my one ton dually with a baledeck when he got pissing around on the ice and rolled a front tire off the rim. Well yesterday I showed him what he got for his birthday-a 16" tire lol. He said 'Gee Dad thanks" lol.

Northern Rancher said:
My 13 year old was feeding cows on weekend with my one ton dually with a baledeck when he got pissing around on the ice and rolled a front tire off the rim. Well yesterday I showed him what he got for his birthday-a 16" tire lol. He said 'Gee Dad thanks" lol.

NR- Everytime my kids pulled some stunt or got into trouble and I was chewing them out they'd always say " I suppose you never did anything like that when you were my age?"

I'll never forgive my mother, sister and so-called friends for telling them all the "good old stories" about me.....

Oldtimer any stories about me in my youth are considered classified information as far as my kids are concerned lol. I see some teenagers I feel like choking and I get to thinking-that's pretty tame. Besides the differance between a good kid and a bad kid is who got caught lol.

A friend of mine was always there when I had a bad day. she would always have something kind to say, the one that gets me through the most is;

This day to will pass.

Just remember to tell your children that no matter what tommorow is another chance to start over and get it right.

For Guest
After losing a child I would question even that, May GOD give you the courage to make it through this day

all the more reason to forgive, the child and thank GOD that it was only the car that was banged up.

I have a seventeen year old son at home, and Pray that he never gets banged up bad in an accident, I was real hard on him when he was learning, My wife said if I was teaching her she would never drive,....She probably would have done me in on some back road and would of learned on the way home,,LOL

My oldest daughter is going to take her drivers test tommorow I can see the gray hairs growing now. :? :?

Latest posts