• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorta recent pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Been rather busy so haven't gotten any pics posted lately. We gathered the BLM permit Oct 30th so we'll start with those pictures. I've been having problems getting pictures uploaded to photobucket...these took me three tries. Let's hope they are all there.

Mike rode along the cliffs and glassed for cows on the opposite side...saw some in the nieghbors, so I headed that way while he bailed off the cliffs and started to gather the river. These were on our property but not on the BLM.
Kate0002-1.jpg

Leaves sure changed oddly this year, some never did turn colors.
Kate0001.jpg

Now I'm on the permit. You'd think she could find somewhere easier to graze :???:
Kate0003.jpg

Thought this calf was cute, shaded up by a rock.
Kate0004.jpg

On my way to the neighbors pasture.
Kate0005.jpg

Mike called on the radio and said he had a good bunch heading out, so I took a picture. I was quite aways away.
Kate0007.jpg

Rode all that way for 3 pair.
Kate0006.jpg

Mike riding down the draw
Kate0008.jpg

Crossing the rocky river
Kate0009.jpg

Heading out of the permit
Kate0010.jpg

The usual scenery picture
Kate0011.jpg

Heading up the draw to the pasture we left them for the night.
Kate0012.jpg

Day two...
They were nicely scattered
0001-29.jpg

Heading out
0002-27.jpg

Mike and Casey
0003-27.jpg

They DID NOT want to go through the gate
0005-25.jpg

You can see how rocky it is, no wonder the dogs were sore the next day!
0004-25.jpg

0006-27.jpg

Mike took a bunch and went first...his are strung out pretty good while I'm still at top of the hill.
0007-24.jpg

The last of mine going down the hill
0008-25.jpg

Once on the road they went quite nicely. Well, really they did...but that picture isn't there.

We shipped on the 7th. It went really well, both loads were heavy :D :D so we still have 122 heifers to do something with (we'll keep about 20). My neighbor took pictures but I haven't got them off her camera yet. We trailed the cows BACK up the steep hill on wed. Would've took them tues but we had to help neighbors on tues and thurs precondition. Helped other neighbors (these are all part of our adopted family) ship on friday. So you can see why I haven't been posting pictures!

Starting out on wed., Mike is hurrying to get to the gate...he was on the phone :?
0013-25.jpg

A little color in the leaves
0014-25.jpg

Once again, he took a bunch to get started
0015-19.jpg

He's most of the way up the trail
0016-18.jpg

Jill keeping them on the trail
0017-18.jpg

Where we left them...hopefully til the 15 - 20th of Dec
0018-19.jpg

Is 20 all the black heifers you ended up with? :p

I've forgotten how steep that river country can be..... until you post more pictures. Glad your calves weighed up well.

Thanks again Nicky. :D

Nicky

Excellent pics of Gods country. I love it!
Sounds like you are on a real working "ranch" as apposed to what I call a cattle operation or a farm east of the Mississippi.
Around here a large operation is around 200 head on 500 acres.
Thanks for sharing
SL

Your cows summered well, Nicky. Glad your calves were heavy.

I bet you have to keep your horses shod all summer.
Does Mike do the shoeing?

Your dogs, what a difference they make. Wouldn't it be
very difficult without them~or almost impossible. Does
everyone around there have good dogs?

Thanks for the pictures. Wow, it's so steep where you are!

very nice :) i love how they string along. if them were my cows, half would be heading up and the other half would be rolling down. :lol:

thanks for the pictures :D

Have to get the 4WD horse out for sure there. Keep posting those pics Nicky. I can never make the hills look as steep as they actually are in my photo's so I assume that your country is even steeper than it looks. Do you have any flatland?

per said:
Have to get the 4WD horse out for sure there. Keep posting those pics Nicky. I can never make the hills look as steep as they actually are in my photo's so I assume that your country is even steeper than it looks. Do you have any flatland?

Admit it per there just isn't much for hills in Alberta. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pics Nicky, I am always amazed at how your cows string out. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:

Admit it per there just isn't much for hills in Alberta. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty rugged where Nicky's cows are for sure. Nothing like that on my ranch. What amazes me is the hills that they farm in Washington and Oregon.

per said:

Of course there's flat land in Oregon, just most of it is on a sidehill. :p :lol:

per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:

Pretty rugged where Nicky's cows are for sure. Nothing like that on my ranch. What amazes me is the hills that they farm in Washington and Oregon.

Isn't the where or why they invented the Side hill combine? :shock:

Thanks all :)

Gcreek :shock: Uh, none of the 20 are black :wink:

FH, yes we definately keep the horses shod. Mike used to do it all but lately Bruce and Carol have been paying to get some them shod since we keep their horses for them all winter. And that is a good thing as Mike's back isn't the best. The dogs are definately worth their weight in gold here! Some of the neighbors have good dogs, the ones that don't use 4 wheelers :???: but they don't run in as steep of country.

Per, it is hard to show how steep it is in pictures, and how rocky.

It's nice when they string out for pictures...I just don't take pictures when they are in a blob.

We have very little flatland actually. We had to flatten out more area for a stackyard and that was right in the barnyard. For some reason they built the barns and corrals where all the water runs into them :???:

hillsdown, yours and pers are hilly and beautiful....and productive...every country has it's own beauty, I think.
Some country is wilderthan other country,
or more isolated or more open, or more treed...and it all has its good points and lesser points. Mostly where we live is just called 'home.'

It's so much fun to look at all the different operations
and country that are pictured on this site.
Opens up the world right at your desk!

I admit it. I'm hooked. :D

Moguls HD, the cows are Rolly Polly though. 8) I like the variety of country as well FH. HD lives is a pretty part of the country for sure.

Gorgeous pictures Nicky :D . Your cattle look great, and I'm so impressed how they string out, very cool. Some of our leaves never turned colors either for some reason. Speaking of sore footed dogs and keeping horses shod, do you ever have lameness in your cattle because of it?

HD, you most certainly live in a pretty area!

WR, amazingly the rocks don't seem to bother the cows. When we got to the top of the hill last time I said to Mike "it's a wonder we don't cripple more cows doing this" and he said "maybe we do". But we very seldom have lame cows (knock on wood). And the horses that aren't being ridden and are turned out go through the rocks like they aren't even there. Guess it's a matter of them picking where to go instead of being told where to go.

I'll bet you have some "lead" cows, that set out and lead the bunch that can have a home even if they don't produce very well any more?

Yes that does look like difficult country to ride in. Do you ever worry about setting fires on horses that are shod? Seems every so often around here someone starts a fire on horseback from the shoes scraping on rocks, so most folks ride with out shoes in the extremely dry times of the year. Interesting pics though. Thanks.

Latest posts