• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorting heavy cows so we can watch them better

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Gettingreadytosort.jpg

Getting ready to sort
Puttingtheherdintosort.jpg

Putting the herd into a large barbed wire enclosure
Thewire-enclosedsortingarea.jpg

The sorting area
Saddletramptakingaheavycowoutthegat.jpg

Saddletramp taking a "heavy" cow out the gate
Bringingtheheavieshome.jpg

Bringing the heavies home
Saddletrampsky-lined.jpg

Saddletramp sky-lined
OneoftheneweditionsoftheSoapweedout.jpg

One of the new editions on the Soapweed outfit
RedcowwithSimmentalcalf.jpg

Red cow with Simmental calf
Gatewaytothewindingtrail.jpg

Gateway to a winding trail
Tranquility.jpg

Tranquility

Nice pics, as always.

The light colored cow just above the horses' right ear in the second picture............you had a Char bull at one time?

What were his EPD's? :wink:

Mike said:
Nice pics, as always.

The light colored cow just above the horses' right ear in the second picture............you had a Char bull at one time?

What were his EPD's? :wink:

That cow is eleven years old, and is half Charolais half Red Angus. A friend had about 24 Red Angus bred heifers for sale one fall (1996). Seems like he wanted $660 apiece for them. I had some Red Angus heifer calves for sale at the same time, and they were worth about $440 apiece. We made a trade, three of my heifer calves for two of his bred heifers. I traded 36 heifer calves for his 24 Red Angus bred heifers, and he still had this part Charolais bred heifer left. I got him jewed down to $450 for her, and put her on my homebound load. She has always been a bit wild. She was heavy enough to come home, but I left her out in the big bunch because she can be disruptive in close quarters. One thing about it, she always comes up with a pretty decent calf.

Very nice pictures, I like the tranquility one, looks so peacefull. The little red calves look good. I'm gonna miss sorting heavies were we calve in the pasture. The only thing in the calving lot this year is 1st calf heifers we just tag em and give them a Alpha 7 shot after they have sucked and out the gate they go to their pasture. Ole Saddletramp he's so picture shootable isn't he.

Pictures like these always reinforce why most of us are in the busuness. I feel most of us could make a living another way but where could we get the satisfaction that comes with this job???

George said:
Pictures like these always reinforce why most of us are in the busuness. I feel most of us could make a living another way but where could we get the satisfaction that comes with this job???

You are right, George. In thinking about the eight lottery winners who each won over fifteen million dollars (after taxes), the thought comes to mind, "What would I do if I won fifteen million dollars?" Probably buy a ranch with some of it, and keep on ranching until the rest of it was gone. :wink: :)

George said:

What I dont understand is the guys who sort cows on foot. Gather cows on quads or with pick up trucks. They all wear the cowboy hat and boots but yet they will use a branding table or go out and pay $2500 for a maternity pen.

RoperAB said:
George said:

What I dont understand is the guys who sort cows on foot. Gather cows on quads or with pick up trucks. They all wear the cowboy hat and boots but yet they will use a branding table or go out and pay $2500 for a maternity pen.

Truck Driver's wear hat's and boot's also.

Denny said:
RoperAB said:
George said:

LOL So do Nashville Country Singers. I guess its a uniform?
But what im say is why bother doing it at all if your going to do it this way? I just cant see how they can get any satisfaction out of it.

RoperAB said:
Denny said:
RoperAB said:

LOL So do Nashville Country Singers. I guess its a uniform?
But what im say is why bother doing it at all if your going to do it this way? I just cant see how they can get any satisfaction out of it.

Sometimes you get enough "satisfaction" over the years :wink: -- I've spent years of tying cows to a post to pull a calf-or try to get one to suck.. last 10 years been using my old home built headgate with side release and its getting old enough that I've had about enough cowboy "satisfaction"...Keep telling myself to pick up the phone and have them haul in one of those maternity pens...

Some of the best cowboys I know don't sort ahorseback. It's what works the best. We get alot of moiture and it's two slick to sort ahorseback. And sometimes it just easier to sort on foot.

Brush Popper,

The vet told me that 7-way really isn't effective until 6 weeks of age or older. I remember we used to give lambs that shot at birth, so I wonder if that is something that has changed,

Would be convenient to do this at birth on late spring calvers,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Brush Popper,

The vet told me that 7-way really isn't effective until 6 weeks of age or older. I remember we used to give lambs that shot at birth, so I wonder if that is something that has changed,

PPRM

We give alpha 7 at birth, I think it even says so on the bottle. The other 7-way vaccines aren't effective when given at birth. Since we've been using Alpha 7 since it first came out, we haven't lost any calves to overeating (we used to lose one or two BIG ONES before branding).

PPRM said:
Brush Popper,

PPRM

PPRM- My vet says the opposite...We've been giving the 7-way at birth for several years and I think its cut down on finding the 2-3 week old nothing wrong with them looking calves dead...Also give 7 way somnus at branding and again at weaning....

Too all the above: The Wheels tell me it is safe to give at birth and agree, since I've been giving it have not lost any calves. Seems like ranches I've been at before we were always losing calves before branding till we got that black leg shot in them.Were on the Pfizer program but Pfizer doesn't make this product. Also thats 1 less shot at branding, we give Bovi -shield Gold -5 and Dectomax Inj then.

I give a 7-way prior to calving, I fall calve mainly. I started doing this in reaction to losing calves. Prior to that my 7 way was in the spring to the cows, now i do it twice a year to the cows, calves at branding and weaning,

TYhanks for the feedback. My mysterious deaths have gone away since this and upping seleium, but it is a good option to know,

PPRM

Latest posts