• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

South Dakota Lockout meeting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
There will be a South Dakota Lockout meeting Thursday, April 7th at 8:00pm at Faith Livestock in Faith, SD. The public is invited to attend. The committee will have No Hunting/No Trespass SD Lockout signs you can purchase for 50 cents a piece and bumper stickers have been ordered. Come join us.

Great news, but get your planning done or started. What you're engaging in is political theatre. Nobody wants to dent hunting priviledges, they merelywant private property rights respected.

You want the no hunting signs unique and distinct so that a hunter can see clearly the impact. Like orange and black or red with a black snake (probubly not) .

You need a design that conveys the message "we want to cooperate, but only if we're respected. Something like a coiled lariet rope with a fishing pole and rifle crossed in front of the rope. You need the hunters, and you need the hunters to understand how they need you.

You want to assert with complete honesty that farmers and ranchers are top flight conservationists

You need a website that clearly notes signers of a petition to respect private property rights. This public petition will also serve to ID those that aren't on the list. My Dad doesn't charge hunters, but he expects to see an NRA sticker on their vehicle & the guys that hunt the honeyholes have lifetime membership stickers.

Right next to the number of acres "SUPPOSEDLY" locked up you need to place the number of locked up acres where hunting actually occurred.

I know some who signed up in the past and still allowed COMMERCIAL hunting.

SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE!

~SH~

SH: "Right next to the number of acres "SUPPOSEDLY" locked up you need to place the number of locked up acres where hunting actually occurred.

I know some who signed up in the past and still allowed COMMERCIAL hunting.

SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE!"

Really? Well, just try asking to hunt here. It ain't gonna happen, because we refuse to give GF&P any excuse to trespass.

What is it that you and Tony Dean have against commercial hunting? That's a perfectly legal enterprise for a landowner that allows them a second income if they don't mind having their rights abused by GF&P, as you can be sure they will be. If they make enough money from hunters, it may compensate them for their loss of rights.

No amount of money could make me give up my rights, but that is an individual choice that every landowner is free to make, regardless of how much that galls GF&P, Tony Dean and Chris Hesla. Those guys are doing all they can to ruin any chance of hunting for the ordinary blue-collar hunters.

Liberty Belle;
Will you be at the meeting in Faith? If I thought you was gonna be there I might go. Or if SH was gonna be there. :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

I'll be there will bells on! Come on over, I'd love to put a face with those poems of yours. I don't know how many of the Harding County rabble rousers will be able to come because, like everyone else out here, they are all either calving, lambing or both.
Hope to see you there.

Just wanted to remind everyone in the Faith area about the SD Lockout meeting tonight at the salebarn at 8:00. If you need No Hunting signs, we've got some nice ones. There is a picture of them on the website, www.sdlockout.com

Y'all come. I'm pretty sure there will be coffee....

I hear the local game warden and trapper won"t be attending .As government employees who work for us and are paid by us they should attend.Idon't think sh has the courage to show either.

I just checked the lockout web site, www.sdlockout.com and the new post of locked out acres is three million, six hundred thousand. That means 3,600,000 acres that are also closed to GF&P. Hunting on public land is going to be a nightmare next fall. Hunters had either better get on their legislators to stop Open Fields or take up golf.

LB: "Really? Well, just try asking to hunt here. It ain't gonna happen, because we refuse to give GF&P any excuse to trespass."

Interesting. Wasn't long ago and you were inviting people to come up and hunt coyotes for a Harding Co. coyote calling contest. Isn't that considered hunting?

Where were they supposed to hunt if your land is closed to hunting?

You allow aerial hunting don't you?

Don't be deceptive and say your land is closed to hunting be honest and say your land is closed to CERTAIN HUNTING.

LB: "What is it that you and Tony Dean have against commercial hunting? That's a perfectly legal enterprise for a landowner that allows them a second income if they don't mind having their rights abused by GF&P, as you can be sure they will be. If they make enough money from hunters, it may compensate them for their loss of rights."

Nowhere did I say that I had a problem with commercial hunting LB. Once again you took my statements out of context.

My point is clearly the hypocrisy in some claiming they are closing their land to hunting while they still allow commercial hunting. SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE.

Where can a person get the names of those who "supposedly" closed their land to hunting so those names can be compared with those who still allow commercial hunting and coyote hunting? I think that comparison would be quite revealing.

Perhaps you could include the National Park Acres. No hunting is allowed there either. That would also make the number of acres "SUPPOSEDLY" closed to hunting appear larger than they really are. LOL!

Quote: "I just checked the lockout web site, www.sdlockout.com and the new post of locked out acres is three million, six hundred thousand. That means 3,600,000 acres that are also closed to GF&P."

Meanwhile the Walk In Hunting program continues to expand.

~SH~

smalltime alias: "As government employees who work for us and are paid by us they should attend.Idon't think sh has the courage to show either."

What reason would I have to drive to Faith and listen to the same complaints I have heard from the same people repeatedly?

DID THE COMPLAINTS MIRACULOUSLY CHANGE???

Open Fields Doctrine, para planes, a pilot who doesn't think we kill enough coyotes and a disgruntled commercial trapper who thinks we kill too many.

Did I miss anything?

I'd rather debate these issues here where people are held accountable for what they say.

Smalltime alias, if you are in this area and you want to meet face to face call me and you can see for yourself if courage is an issue.

Scott Huber
Kadoka, SD

LB: "Really? Well, just try asking to hunt here. It ain't gonna happen, because we refuse to give GF&P any excuse to trespass."

SH: "Interesting. Wasn't long ago and you were inviting people to come up and hunt coyotes for a Harding Co. coyote calling contest. Isn't that considered hunting?
Where were they supposed to hunt if your land is closed to hunting?

Don't even pretend that you aren't smart enough to figure this out for yourself. We don't allow any hunting for any game animal that requires you to buy a license from GF&P because we don't want GF&P to have any more money to use against landowners than they do already. Duh!

Around here, shooting coyotes is a highly recommended form of entertainment and a very effective method for keeping our sheep and calves alive.

We also strongly encourage the shooting of prairie dogs. And guess what, you don't need to buy a license to shoot either one!

SH: "You allow aerial hunting don't you?"

Again, I can only say - duh!!! Of course we allow aerial hunting! We tax ourselves to hire very capable pilots to kill predators that prey on our livestock. Talk about an asinine question!

SH: "Don't be deceptive and say your land is closed to hunting be honest and say your land is closed to CERTAIN HUNTING.

NEVER have we EVER said that our land is closed to predator hunting or to anyone who wants to shoot prairie dogs. I'll type this slowly so you can keep up.

Our – land – is – closed – to – any – hunting – that – requires – the – hunter – to – buy – a – license – from – GF&P.

Did that soak in or do I need to retype it for you?

SH: "Perhaps you could include the National Park Acres. No hunting is allowed there either. That would also make the number of acres "SUPPOSEDLY" closed to hunting appear larger than they really are. LOL!"

Where do you get these crazy ideas?

I have no idea if the land in National Parks is closed to hunting or not, but I'll take your word for it.

I assure you that the acres in the lockout are all privately owned, although National Forest land IS open to public hunting and this fall opening day of both deer and antelope season sounded like a war zone in the National Forest near our ranch. Only a hunter with a suicide wish would be crazy enough to enjoy hunting there. Ditto for state and BLM land.

thanks for the invite sh .how would you show off your courage.that reads between the lines like an invite to an unpleasant event for one of us.

LB writes:Our – land – is – closed – to – any – hunting – that – requires – the – hunter – to – buy – a – license – from – GF&P.
LB just so you know you do have to purchase a license from G,F,&P to hunt coyotes or prairie dogs, unless your the landowner or lease/tenant. Coyote calling contestants would need a license, and so would P-dog shooters unless there in legal control of the land.

To hunt coyotes or P-Dogs you need some type of license big game, small game, waterfowl, predator/varmint license, or furbearer license. Or any other valid SD hunting license. Just wanted people to know so they don't get in trouble. While coyotes and P-dogs can be taken year round you still need a license of some type. So yes they are still buying from G,F,&P.

I understand fully LB, you allow certain hunting but would like to create the perception that you allow no hunting.

Like I said, "symbolism over substance".

SD trapper is correct, unless you are a landowner, you have to have a license to shoot coyotes or pr. dogs.

smalltime: "thanks for the invite sh .how would you show off your courage.that reads between the lines like an invite to an unpleasant event for one of us."

Let me recap this for you........

smalltime (previous): "Idon't think sh has the courage to show either."

SH (in response): "Smalltime alias, if you are in this area and you want to meet face to face call me and you can see for yourself if courage is an issue."

You were the one who made the childish claim that courage is an issue with me showing up. Well, if you think courage is an issue on whether or not I would show up, AGAIN, give me a call the next time you come through and you can see for yourself whether or not courage is an issue on my showing up.

Pretty straight forward!

~SH~

SD Trapper: "LB just so you know you do have to purchase a license from G,F,&P to hunt coyotes or prairie dogs, unless your the landowner or lease/tenant. Coyote calling contestants would need a license, and so would P-dog shooters unless there in legal control of the land.

To hunt coyotes or P-Dogs you need some type of license big game, small game, waterfowl, predator/varmint license, or furbearer license. Or any other valid SD hunting license. Just wanted people to know so they don't get in trouble. While coyotes and P-dogs can be taken year round you still need a license of some type. So yes they are still buying from G,F,&P."

Yes, I do know that anyone shooting anything that isn't on their own land needs a license to do it. I also know that there is no season on coyotes, fox, skunks, rattlesnakes or prairie dogs and you can shoot them any time of the year, which makes it pretty hard for GF&P to justify coming on to private land to do compliance checks just because they see someone out in my pasture or hear gunfire.

SH: "I understand fully LB, you allow certain hunting but would like to create the perception that you allow no hunting.

You dang right we allow folks we know and trust to do predator hunting and prairie dog hunting on our place. We do NOT allow anyone, friend or family, to hunt any game that they have to buy a license for that has a season. I guess I should have clarified that a little more for the slower ones on the board.

SH: "Like I said, "symbolism over substance"."

Whatever....

Latest posts