• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

This is sort of funny, and a source of agitation to him, but my dad has been getting some stupid phone calls wondering about the "Marijuana Party". Anyway, my wife did a Google search of his number and discovered that some pothead listed it as a contact number on his website. Geuss you can't expect much from a pothead. LOL

http://bcmarijuanaparty.com/main?page=bcmp/2005/marcemery

Haven't you ever put an add in the paper with something crazy for sale at a real good price and put a friends number on it-it's pretty funny lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Haven't you ever put an add in the paper with something crazy for sale at a real good price and put a friends number on it-it's pretty funny lol.

A ¿Freind? Did that to Me but that Ad said "works Swing Shift - Call after 1AM" :D :D :shock: Very Funny

I figured our who it was and knew he had a Credit Card Account at the Local Gravel Quarry. I had a dubble's load of Pea Gravel dumped infront of his Gate - he had to take down part of his fence to get his tractor out to remove the gravel

Depending on ages of your kids, Red Robin, and which direction you are coming into SD from, there really is a wealth of things to visit and do. Some are probably rather unique to the state, many are very kid friendly, and mainly guessing, but think all would be reasonable cost.

Anywhere along Missouri River there could be Lewis and Clark events and/or sites to see. se corner of state has Ft. Sisseton, Seche Hollow State Park, and more.

There is a beautiful rest area near Chamberlain, just off I-90, overlooking the Missouri River. It has a hiking trail and is a great spot for giving kids (and their parents) some space after too many hours in the car! Just across the river, Al's Oasis is interesting, good food, and "treasures" for sale. Up the river a bit is a great resort/motel, Cedar Shores, right on the rivers edge.

Pierre has the beautifully restored antique capitol building, and RiverBoat rides, swimming, fishing, etc. Guess all the river towns have that stuff. Guides and the whole shebang, though I've never done any of that....yet!

I believe the State Fair is VERY kid oriented, mostly 4-H with lots of animals to see, good concerts, etc.

There is an interesting antique car museum at Murdo.

Going west on I-90 from Chamberlain, there is 1880 Town museum at exit 170, only ten miles from my house. It is an excellent museum remembering the pioneer era of this center part of SD. Lots of Casey Tibbs and Dances With Wolves memorabilia put together as a real labor of love by the owner. There is a dining car that is a restaurant featuring light lunches. It is very kid oriented, too, with lots of activity type displays. Kids, and their parents seem to love dressing up in the period clothing available for their tour of "the town". Don't miss the sculpture of the very early day "cowboy leading his dinosaur steed" near the road a mile or less east of the town. There are typical country church and homestead a distance from the 'town' one can walk out to see. A good site for those tired of sitting in the car.

Just read there is a great new visitor center at the Cedar Pass Lodge area in the Badlands, and I believe their programs on the geology, etc. are free of charge. Good Indian Taco's at the Wooden Knife Cafe in nearby Interior, SD, too. Kids love to hike the trails and climb on the formations (where allowed) in the Badlands.

That sod shanty nr mentioned is on the road from I-90 to Cedar Pass in the Badlands. It is a genuine deal, and very interesting.

The area from Chamberlain to the Black Hills was the last of the Open Range of the earliest cowboy era in SD and there is memorabilia from that time at many small town museums. Midland and Draper, SD were the first towns founded in the center of the area, both dating back to 1900. Others sprang up along the railroad route beginning about 1905 to 1907, I believe. Midland has a good museum. Also a cafe and convenience store.

Wall Drugstore, is really a good place for all ages. Wonderful art, books, etc. Fun stuff for kids, great ice cream and donuts, and decent meals. Real western clothing and boots. Fun souvenirs.......from junk to treasures! Some good cafe's, too. And other places I haven't visited, like the was museum, etc. too close to home, I guess.

The Bear country place nr mentioned is really great to let kids see the animals up close, but pre-teens seem to alternate between giggly and mortally embarrassed if you go during bear breeding season!

I'm trying to recall more places, but usually don't have time to stop at many of them.

Best idea, if you are serious, is to get the Tourism Info package. The Dept. of Tourism should have that for you. Phone is 1-800-732-5682. I think there is a website, too, but don't know what it is.

Welcome, and have fun!

Some of the towns along I 90 west of Sioux Falls have been mostly rebuilt and offer aglimps of past life and prosperity.I really enjoy just driving up and down the streets.I can't remember the names of the towns but some spectacular churches.

Smalltime, there is a huge cathedral in Hoven SD. Of course that's not along I-90 but it would be worthwhile if in that area to take a little detour off US 212 to see it. Hoven is NE of Gettysburg on SD 47. I went to a farm sale there once.

Didn't get to see the inside of the church but saw it from the outside. They were reroofing it at the time which is quite a job. It might be closer to heaven but you're not gonna get me up there! :D

Red Robin said:
Thanks, ya'll have provided some nice information and it indeed looks like we'll be there sometime this fall. We're looking forward to the trip.
You come early enough so we can cross the state line and do the canoe trip before the river starts cooling down 8) . And while you're in Soapweed's back yard, better make a stop at the Bowring Ranch; lots of antique ranch type of stuff, and history of early days in the Sandhills

Turkey Track Bar said:
Red Robin said:
In light of the abortion law South Dakota passed, my wife and I are seriously discussing taking our family vacation to SD this fall. My question is in late Aug. or early Sept. what do we want to see and do. We'll usually just stay a couple days with the kids. State fair? ( something wholesome or preferably Christian) The Arkansas state fair is horrible. The Kansas state fair is wonderful. Anyone got any ideas?

Red Robin:

If I may, I'd like to offer some suggestions...

The first to me would be Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills....I personally have been to Rushmore several times, and still love going back.

From there you could visit the Devils Tower in Wyoming...it's not that far and would be a great day trip from the Rapid City/Black Hills area.

As well, I would also consider taking a trip up through the Badlands of NORTH Dakota to Medora...and Roosevelt National Park.

The South Dakota State Fair runs around Labor Day time. I have not been but it's in financial dispair, and sadly those who attend seem to be really disappointed.

I know that Jinglebob has some dinosauer (? spelling) artifacts on his place. And, I've yet to go through the Badlands of SD but have traveled south of Kadoka to Martin and that road skirts the Badlands, and there are some really beautiful landscapes...

As well, we have a lot of fishing around our area, and Mr. TTB and I would love to host you...we have a really neat "Old Stone Church" on the adjoining place to ours.

Let us know if we can be of more assistance....

Cheers---

TTB :wink:
TTB and Lazy Ace, thank you very much. We thoroughly enjoied our visit to SD because of ya'll. The wagon ride, the old stone church, the museum (on a day they were closed) the breakfast and lunch, all were above and beyond. We can't say thanks enough. My family is still talking about your hospitality. Thanks again.
We also saw the Corn Palace, Wall Drug, A doll museum, Mt Rushmore, The Badlands, The black hills, and some of the prettiest range land the world has to offer. We had a wonderful time. South Dakota is a real nice place. We had 2600 miles of fun!

Mike said:
Glad you had a good trip! Tell me more!
Lazy Ace is the okra eating champion of the high plains. I think he ate two pieces. :lol: We also took him a sample of some hot pepper relish that'd melt tempered steel. I never did see him try that. :wink: I did see several good bunches of cattle. The country had been burned up but had greened back up. It looked lush. The oddest thing to me was the texture of the dirt. It was soft under your feet like powder. Here in Ar. it's all clay and rocks. You can't drive a nail in ours and it felt like you could just push posts in the ground with your bare hands there. Trees were pretty spaced out though. I don't know where the birds light. I never did figure that one out.

Red Robin said:
Mike said:
Glad you had a good trip! Tell me more!
Lazy Ace is the okra eating champion of the high plains. I think he ate two pieces. :lol: We also took him a sample of some hot pepper relish that'd melt tempered steel. I never did see him try that. :wink: I did see several good bunches of cattle. The country had been burned up but had greened back up. It looked lush. The oddest thing to me was the texture of the dirt. It was soft under your feet like powder. Here in Ar. it's all clay and rocks. You can't drive a nail in ours and it felt like you could just push posts in the ground with your bare hands there. Trees were pretty spaced out though. I don't know where the birds light. I never did figure that one out.

That dirt is slicker than greased owl$hit when it gets wet too! :wink:

I think the turkeys must roost on the fences!

Lazy Ace and I would like to thank Red Robin and his family for coming to visit. We had a wonderful time with them. Folks, let me tell ya, you'll be hard pressed to meet nicer folks than Red Robin and his family. He has four of the most polite and sweet girls I've ever met in my life!!! We tried to talk him into leaving the oldest, as it seems she likes doing dishes!!!

And, we'd also like to thank them for the okra, and for his wife teaching me how to fry it. It was awesome...yummy in my tummy!!!! Lazy Ace will be learning how to eat okra in the coming year!!!

Again, Red Robin, thanks for visiting. Our neighbors had a wonderful time with you all too! It's not often that folks make it off I-90 or away from Medora, ND or the Missouri River to come and visit us, so it was truly our pleasure to host you!

Cheers,

TTB :wink:

I'm sure glad you didn't hit any, and thanks for coming our way. The Okra is getting extra special attention this weak. :wink:

have a cold one

lazy ace

Latest posts