• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Southdakotahunter aka. southdakotastalker

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Lonecowboy

Reaction score
Well I've been reading Ranchers.net every morning for several months
I haven't joined because usually I don't have much to say.
But I have lots of time alone each day to think about the things I've read
Which causes me to have an opinion on most subjects.
I imagine many of you are the same way.
Latley I've been wasting some thoughts on southdakotahunter
as have been many of you,so I'll bet we all have opinions by now.
I thought it might be fun to see democracy in action.
In our Republic we have freedom of speach
In a democracy majority rules!
I wonder if southdakotahunter really believes in democracy and will abide by it's decision???

Interesting point, Lonecowboy. If we all vote for both SD hunter/stalker and Tony Dean to go soak their collective heads in the toilet bowl, in full view of the rest of us, do you think they would abide by a decision of the majority? Or would they demand to be protected by the laws of our REPUBLIC? :twisted:

I'll vote they go soak their heads. :p

How will you vote?

And remember, only one vote apiece.

I doubt if you could find a toilet bowl big enough for either one :wink: :lol:

There was supposed to be a poll atached to the above letter
but being new to this formatt somewhere I took a wrong turn

maybe if someone else thinks a poll about whether or not
southdakotahunter should keep his thoughts to himself
is a good idea they will help me out and post it?

So Liberty Belle When you get elected are you going to listen to your constituents and try to make the right choice for the betterment of all or are you going to tell the ones you don't agree with to go stick their heads in the toilet?

I wish you the best in your entry into public life. All governments need people that make a living "Off the land" as oppopesd to the country being run by "Lawyers". And I applaud you for taking action.

While we don't agree on the definition of NO HUNTING I still wish you the best of luck . Michael E. Burgess. Just so you don't think I am somebody else and stalking you. :wink:

Lonecowboy said:
Well I've been reading Ranchers.net every morning for several months
I haven't joined because usually I don't have much to say.
But I have lots of time alone each day to think about the things I've read
Which causes me to have an opinion on most subjects.
I imagine many of you are the same way.
Latley I've been wasting some thoughts on southdakotahunter
as have been many of you,so I'll bet we all have opinions by now.
I thought it might be fun to see democracy in action.
In our Republic we have freedom of speach
In a democracy majority rules!
I wonder if southdakotahunter really believes in democracy and will abide by it's decision???

:wink: Yup since I discovered this sight, makes me think hm could you imagine living next to some of the really loud thinkers? other than that we are glad we are in a ranch in TX in the middle of nowheres :lol:

FH I would say if they can PROVE you did something wrong then they can come back to you but, if NOT, they need to leave you alone. Too much can happen once you sell the cattle, and to hold the breeder responsible for them after they leave your possession is ludicrous.

What conserns me is the outcry for the silencing of a member.......Yes sometimes one member does speak out and should be called on it BUT to shut them up for good? What does that say about us? Are we so insecure that views that upset us or we dissagree with should be silenced?
Yes SDHunter should NEVER have posted LBs real name, but voting to have him removed or silenced which is the same thing.......Where does it stop?

Right MsSage, I would love to have hunter come on here and present his side and all could have a civil debate.

I'm sorry lonecowboy but I do NOT support you on this.I do not live in South Dakota,nor do alot of people on this board that are expressing thier opinions on this Lockout thing.Yes I have my opinion on it but thats niether here nor there BUT Southdakota hunter LIVES there and has EVERY right to voice his thoughts on it.

Ms.Sage I would love to agree with you on what happens AFTER cattle leave your place BUT you are wrong ! In Alberta they are going back up to three herds,and destroying whole herds of animals because one animal that was in that herd in the past tested positive for BSE,Ludicrous maybe, but sadly it is happening!!

I said my opionion was if they could PROVE you did something wrong in the handling.
Do I agree with how "they" are handling the cases now? No
I think too often we go to a knee jerk reaction instead of acting on the true problem.
Can I change how governments and those in charge deal with an issue? No I cant, all I can do is give my OPIONION. I cant help what your govenment has declared as the correct action to deal with BSE.

Mrs Greg All I was giving was MY OPIONION on what the right thing to do should be. NO opionion is ever WRONG. You might not agree with me but neither is right or wrong. I am sorry they are REACTING not acting.

Please tell me how you are responsible for a cow eating something it should not 3 owners removed from you? I always thought once you sold an item cow~car ect you not longer could be held responsible?
I understand your government is holding you responsible and as I said before I am sorry, my heart breaks for those who have had thier cattle destroyed with no proof they did anything wrong or thier cattle were infected.
PLease inform me if I am under the wrong belief BSE is NOT communicable? If you buy a cow which already has BSE the other cattle should not be destroyed. The 4-5 year incubation period should shield a buyer if they bought a 2 year old who had the BSE.

Again this is MY OPIONION I can NOT change how governments deal with Health issues other than write letters and make phone calls.

MsSage, before you jump into something completely foreign to you and that which is a HOT TOPIC, perhaps I could suggest that you go to Political Bull and read about BSE, M-ID and the things discussed there.

When done, you would perhaps have an educated opinion, not just merely an opinion.

When done, you would perhaps have an educated opinion, not just merely an opinion.

Well I haveresearched it on those boards and have done ALOT of research on it using veterinarian websites. That being said since I am NOT a VET I can only give MY OPIONION.

I thought you are in Mt?

I don't have nor push thru my place large #'s of cattle so THANK GOODNESS never had to deal with BSE....but what if any responsibility has been put back on the feed companies who used, basically ground cow, tainted products in the feed products?

I do remember hearing that some were caught still doing it even after the feed-BSE connection was made?

It's a train wreck all the way around.

Sage.The understanding is it is NOT communicable!!! What is causing the cases NO-ONE is a hundred percent sure. That is WHY they are going back onto previously owned herds!Since you feel so strongly about your OPINION maybe send a letter to your government officials on your feelings about the I.D program because once that happens it will be way easier to track animals back to farm of origin and all the farms in between.Although I admit when I don't have Knowledge maybe look back on the positive animal from Texas and see if they did trace back on that animal or if lived on home of origin,that I do not know the answer to.And OK it was your opinion to me it seemed like a statement! And Sage you seem to be under the impression this is a Canadian problam,don't kid yourself! This problam is universal!

Reader,great information for Ms.Sage.Ms.Sage why don't you take your opinion over to Bull section,they can inform you on BSE much better then I can! All I was trying to tell you was YES you might think trace back is ludicrous BUT IT HAPPENS. That is not opinion but FACT!!

How about you show me where you get all your information since you seem to be so educated on BSE. No you cant because if you could have you never would have sent me to someone else.
My question now is why did Faster horses post that question? That had NOTHING to do with the topic.
Now both of you feel its YOUR DUTY to show everyone how stupid I am ...please show me where I am totaly off track?
Offer facts and back up your opinions with Proffessional Medical Doctor briefs.

Thank you reader you atleast offered information instead of name calling and telling me to leave.

This is whom I get MY information from.

BSE Backgrounder
(Current as of January 20, 2006)

Causative agent
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly referred to as "mad cow disease," belongs to the family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE). The causative agent of BSE has not been fully characterized, but three possibilities have been proposed: an unconventional virus, a prion (a self-replicating protein), or a virino (incomplete virus) comprising naked nucleic acid protected by host proteins. The theory accepted by most scientists is that BSE is caused by a prion. The agent does not invoke a detectable immune response or inflammatory reaction in its host and is extremely resistant to sterilization processes.

Natural distribution
A chronic, degenerative neurologic disease of cattle, BSE has been diagnosed in native-born cattle in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States. More than 95% of cases identified have developed in the United Kingdom. Two cases of BSE have been confirmed in the United States. The first was in December 2003, but the cow was originally from Canada. The second case was confirmed in June 2005 and affected a native-born cow. Countries with a single case are Finland, Greece, and Israel. In early 2005, BSE was confirmed as developing in a single goat that was slaughtered in 2002 in France.

Transmission
Researchers believe that BSE is spread to cattle through feeding of contaminated meat and bone meal from scrapie-infected sheep or cattle with previously unidentified BSE. Offal tissues of particular risk include the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, distal ileum, and certain other nervous tissues. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy does not appear to be spread horizontally (contact between cattle or contact between cattle and other TSE-affected species).

Clinical signs of BSE in cattle
In cattle, BSE causes progressive degeneration of the central nervous system. Clinical signs may include changes in temperament (e.g., apprehension, nervousness, unwillingness to move through doorways, belligerence), hyperesthesia, ptyalism, pruritis of the head, fine muscular fasciculations, moaning, tachypnea and bradycardia, incoordination, proprioceptive deficits, abnormal postures, abnormal gait, decreased milk production, loss of body condition despite a normal appetite, recumbency, and death. The incubation period ranges from 2 to 8 years and the health of affected animals typically deteriorates over a period of 2 weeks to 6 months. The disease is uniformly fatal. Most cattle affected are between 3 and 6 years old, although BSE has been diagnosed in younger and older cattle.

Diagnosis
Unfortunately, there currently is no commercially available laboratory test that can confirm BSE in a live animal. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is most often diagnosed by postmortem microscopic examination of brain and spinal cord tissue or by detection of the abnormal form of the prion protein. Examination will reveal bilaterally symmetrical neuronal vacuolation and spongiform degeneration, often with hypertrophy of astrocytes. Vacuolation is greatest in the medulla oblongata; the central gray matter of the midbrain; and the paraventricular area of the hypothalamus, thalamus, and septal area.

Immunoblotting (Western) and ELISA are used to detect the presence of the abnormal prion protein in brain and spinal cord tissue. Immunohistochemistry is used to confirm the presence of the abnormal prion protein.

Prevention
Because the primary source of transmission of BSE has been shown to be abnormal proteins derived from BSE-infected ruminants in feed, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has established regulations that prohibit the feeding of most mammalian proteins to ruminants in the United States. The United States Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS) has restricted importation of live ruminants and ruminant products (e.g., fetal bovine serum, meat-and-bone meal, bonemeal, bloodmeal, offal, fats, glands) from countries where BSE has been diagnosed. The USDA has determined that importation of live ruminants and ruminant products from Canada presents a minimal risk of introducing BSE and is allowing importation under specified conditions. Importation under specified conditions will be allowed from Canada after March 7, 2005. Because of concerns about cross-contamination of rendered products of nonruminant origin with the BSE agent, since 2000 the USDA has also prohibited all imports of rendered animal protein products, regardless of species.

Treatment
No treatment currently exists for cattle affected with BSE. The disease is uniformly fatal.

Infection control
Veterinarians are trained to recognize the clinical signs and pathologic manifestations of BSE in cattle. The USDA-APHIS has distributed videotapes, fact sheets, literature reviews, and risk assessments on BSE to state and federal veterinarians, colleges of veterinary medicine, extension veterinarians, private practitioners, and producers. Veterinary diagnostic laboratories have been provided with microscope slides showing typical lesions of BSE to assist in pathologic confirmation of suspect cases.

An active interagency surveillance program, coordinated by the USDA-APHIS, collects samples from cattle exhibiting signs of neurologic disease, cattle condemned at slaughter for suspected neurologic disease, cattle for which results of rabies testing conducted at veterinary diagnostic laboratories is negative, and aged nonambulatory cattle and examines these for the presence of abnormal prions.

Cattle destined for slaughter in the United States are evaluated by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA-FSIS) for signs of disease, including central nervous system impairment. Animals showing signs of systemic disease, including those exhibiting signs of neurologic impairment, are condemned and not used for human food. The USDA also prohibits tissues from nonambulatory (disabled) cattle from entering the human food supply.

Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies in Other Animals
The family of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) in animals includes scrapie, affecting sheep and goats; transmissible mink encephalopathy; chronic wasting disease, affecting deer and elk; and, in humans, kuru, classic and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Gerstmann-Straussler syndrome, and fatal familial insomnia. A neurologic disease in exotic ruminants and exotic and household cats in the United Kingdom has been linked to BSE, and is suspected to be caused by eating feed contaminated with the BSE agent.

Implications of BSE for Humans
Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy having epidemiologic and pathologic evidence of a causal link with BSE. It primarily affects young adults (median age at death is 28 years). Symptoms include early psychiatric and sensory abnormalities, eventually followed by ataxia, dementia, and myoclonus. Median duration of illness is 14 months. Current thinking is that vCJD may be caused by ingestion of products contaminated with the BSE agent.

Tissues considered to be of greater risk (e.g., skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, vertebral column, spinal cord, and dorsal root ganglia of cattle more than 30 months old, and the distal ileum of cattle of all ages) have been banned from entering the human food supply in the United States, Canada, and European Union. In the United States, tissues from nonambulatory (disabled) cattle also may not be used for human food. Milk and milk products are not believed to pose a transmission risk, and tallow and gelatin are considered safe if they have been prepared by a manufacturing process that inactivates or removes the BSE agent.

Variant CJD must be differentiated from classic CJD, which is the TSE most often identified in humans. Classic CJD occurs worldwide at a rate of about 1 to 2 cases/1 million people. Mean age of onset is 65 years and median duration of illness is 4.5 months. Hereditary predisposition accounts for approximately 5 to 10% of cases, a sporadic form accounts for approximately 85 to 90% of cases, and a small number of cases are iatrogenic (transmitted via contaminated surgical equipment, transplants [e.g., cornea, dura mater], or administration of natural human growth hormone).

This information has been prepared as a service by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Redistribution is acceptable, but the document's original content and format must be maintained, and its source must be prominently identified. Please contact Dr. Gail Golab (800.248.2862, ext. 6618) with questions or comments.

MsSage....dont' get all twisted up here. These people raise lots and LOTS of cattle under far different conditions and situations that here in the South. I know this as I've been in the cattle industry for over 20 yrs and have owned ranches in NE and WY and have worked with some of the nations biggest herds in the US. So that's my qualifications before you ask me.

No one is trying to make you look " stupid" as you put it....far from it. They are just trying to assist you in where to get more information. This BSE is and can be devastating to a herd and our economy. Yes, it's origins in various herds aren't exact but they've got a good handle on it. This took yrs to develop in the cattle herds and will take years, unfortunately, to map it all out to prevent and eradicate it.

BSE is something a lot of us just read about...some of these folks have lived the nightmare. I'd not wish it my worst enemy to be honest!!

They are just trying to help you out is all.

Latest posts