• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spayed hfrs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Anybody done it lately?

What's the cost?

What are the result? Would you do it again? Can you run them with the steers with no problems?

Did they go in the side or the back end?

Is that forty question yet? :D

We spay heifers every year to go as grassers. The fella we hire to do it goes in from behind and is in and out in just a few seconds. We also give them a dose of antibiotic at the same time. They will walk around with a kink in their tail for the rest of the day and usually they are sore the next day. Some it doesn't seem to afffect much and others are really slow for a day or two. We don't spay them until May as it gives us longer to pick our replacements from the bunch but it is recommended to do them before they are cycling. Less trauma and blood flow to the ovaries.

We have had good luck and after spaying lots of heifers thru the years we have never lost one. I know some people that claim they lose around 1% every year from the spaying process. I suppose I just now jinxed us for this year, sure would hurt to lose one this late in the game and just before they go to grass.

We also run the heifers with yearling steers. We have zero problems running them together. In fact a spayed heifer is less inclined to get into trouble than their steer mates. There is no riding of the heifers that I have ever noticed or thought was a problem.

A spayed heifer really settles down and goes to eating with not much foolishness. I can't believe that people run grassers and don't spay them and deal with cycling heifers and their hormones. I know some say that an intact heifer will gain better but I maintain they lose that advantage from the few days per month they are cycling/riding and not eating. Just as a side note we do implant the heifers when they are spayed. I am sure that really helps with the gain also.

I can't remember but I think we have been paying around $4.00/hd. I suppose the price and fluctuate from there. The person we hire is not a vet so it might be cheaper. I think for the $4 bucks he also provides the anitbiotic.

Hope this answers you questions and just remember it's my opinion only.

Thanks, :D That helps alot. It is nice to hear from someone that has experience first hand.

What implant do you use?

What antibiotic?

Sorry i'm just full of questions. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
Thanks, :D That helps alot. It is nice to hear from someone that has experience first hand.

What implant do you use?

What antibiotic?

Sorry i'm just full of questions. :)
If the "magazines" you read had articles instead of just pictures you'd already know all this stuff! :lol: :D Sorry 2 highjack the tread.

Neighboring ranch has ran thousnds of spayed heifers in the past few years- and usually because they run on several pasture allotments have not had heifers and steers mixed-- but I have seen where they did...And I think they had less problem with them- and the steers and the one nutter steers they had bought that were chasing everything- steers and heifers...

They had some folks (not Vets) out of SD come up and do their spaying-- had a chute operation they packed with them that could handle 2 at one time coming out of one alleyway and do major numbers in one day....
This has been a couple of years ago- but back then (with the numbers) I thought they were talking somewhere between $2- $3 a head...

As a neighbor- I had way less problems with the spayed heifers walking fencelines- crawling fences- and getting in with my cows or the wheatfields then I did with the steers.....They just seemed more contented on grazing....

I will add one thing I've seen over the past 50+ years-- if you are a yearling grazer-- I think you can gain about 10-20% in gain if you throw in about 10% of old cows/calves... It seems to settle them down- better socialize them to the pasture and keep them from walking the fencelines and out running off weight....

I remember my grandfather telling me that when he worked on the Minor Ranch near Abbey, Sask back in the '30s they spayed heifers there. Apparently the guy that did it charged $1 per head and could do at least a couple hundred per day. I believe Granpa was working for around $1 a day :shock:
He said the man wasn't a vet, and he made a small incision in the side and reached in with his hand and pinched of whatever it was needed pinching off :???: I guess the fallopian tubes. I guess it was a small incision, just enough to squeeze his hand in and I don't recall him saying they put a stitch in when done.

We have used Ralgo in the past and this last year we switched to Revalor G. Both are a low dose implant but I guess we are supposed to get more bang with the Revalor and I think it lasts a little longer. Can't quite remember, you should have asked last spring. I plan on using it again this year.

As far as the anitbiotic I believe it is just off brand LA-200. I can't remember that either. We don't give them much just 5cc, but seems to prevent any infections.

I recommend going with the yearling thing, it is a good way to take a lot of money and turn it into little money. :D

Howdy1 said:
I can't remember but I think we have been paying around $4.00/hd. I suppose the price and fluctuate from there. The person we hire is not a vet so it might be cheaper. I think for the $4 bucks he also provides the anitbiotic.

Just FWIW... it is legal for someone who is not a vet to do a variety of procedures. However, it is not legal for a non-vet to charge for it. That includes spaying heifers.

On the original subject, I have a relative who spays all open heifers after a 30 day breeding season. He does get a premium and they grow well.

Silver said:
I remember my grandfather telling me that when he worked on the Minor Ranch near Abbey, Sask back in the '30s they spayed heifers there. Apparently the guy that did it charged $1 per head and could do at least a couple hundred per day. I believe Granpa was working for around $1 a day :shock:
He said the man wasn't a vet, and he made a small incision in the side and reached in with his hand and pinched of whatever it was needed pinching off :???: I guess the fallopian tubes. I guess it was a small incision, just enough to squeeze his hand in and I don't recall him saying they put a stitch in when done.

I had no idea they were spaying heifers back then. Bet your grandpa was real impressed about what they were paying the other guy :?

While we're talking spaying...has anyone spayed mares? I didn't get many responses in Horses and dogs.

Milkmaid,
He is not a vet but to circumvent around all those silly rules concerning only vets doing vet work, he is technically employed by a vet practice.

Howdy1 said:
Milkmaid,
He is not a vet but to circumvent around all those silly rules concerning only vets doing vet work, he is technically employed by a vet practice.

I know a couple of pelvic measurement technicians who do a fantastic job measuring cows after the bulls have been out.

The rules don't prevent lay people from doing their own vet work - I worked on a ranch last spring that did all their own c-sections, it's not a problem - but they do prevent lay people from charging for it. The only exception is doing vet work for an employer; ie if I were employed by a ranch full time and did their c-sections during calving season.

If he is employed by the vet clinic and they are sending him out to do the spaying - that is completely different than if he is employed by the vet clinic as an assistant/tech/stall cleaner/receptionist/etc and running his own vet business on the side.

milkmaid said:
The rules don't prevent lay people from doing their own vet work - I worked on a ranch last spring that did all their own c-sections, it's not a problem - but they do prevent lay people from charging for it. The only exception is doing vet work for an employer; ie if I were employed by a ranch full time and did their c-sections during calving season.

If he is employed by the vet clinic and they are sending him out to do the spaying - that is completely different than if he is employed by the vet clinic as an assistant/tech/stall cleaner/receptionist/etc and running his own vet business on the side.

Around here all the lay folks doing preg testing, ultrasounding, spaying, etc. do it for free- but do accept donations of so much per head :wink:

And I've never heard of a local Vet complain as they know there is way more work to be done then there are Vets to do it... And some of these ranchs/lay techs have better equipment and way more experience in those areas than most Vets... Like my old Vet used to say- the Vet schools don't put enough time into training for things like preg testing like they used to...Too much emphasis on the other areas of the Vet practice (dogs, cats, cokatoos, lizards, etc.)..

Having spent quite a bit of time at sales rings- I used to always chuckle when the Salesyard Vet would call a cow open- and she calved before they got her loaded on the truck... :lol:

Silver said:

I brought this thread back up for WHR but when i reread it I wonder if it wasn't one of the Perrins that was spaying hfrs at the Minor ranch. I know Ted and Olive did lots of spaying. Might not have been Ted in the 30's but could have been his Dad or uncle. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

I brought this thread back up for WHR but when i reread it I wonder if it wasn't one of the Perrins that was spaying hfrs at the Minor ranch. I know Ted and Olive did lots of spaying. Might not have been Ted in the 30's but could have been his Dad or uncle. :D

Well it very well could have been a Perrin doing it. This did take place on the Minor Ranch as that where Grandpa worked through the '30s and '40s before he homesteaded this place.
Seems to me the Perrin place was one the Minors rented, and I believe Grandpa spent winters there.

Sounds like you are familiar with the Minor's BMR, is your place near there?

Silver said:

Nope, :D My Dad was a director on the Saskatchewan Stockgrowers back in the 60' and 70's. He knew them from that and buying cattle. Gertie minor married Earl Rodgers from Weyburn and they bought a bunch of big steers from us. Dad was also friends with the Perrins. Pete and my dad attended federation of agriculture meeting in Ottawa where they bumped head with old Whomper Whelan. Fought to keep the cattle industry from Marketing boards. It was closer then most think to happening. :?
I got to know Ted and Olive Perrin a bit during my terms as a director on the SSGA.
Have you read Gertie Minor's book?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

Nope, :D My Dad was a director on the Saskatchewan Stockgrowers back in the 60' and 70's. He knew them from that and buying cattle. Gertie minor married Earl Rodgers from Weyburn and they bought a bunch of big steers from us. Dad was also friends with the Perrins. Pete and my dad attended federation of agriculture meeting in Ottawa where they bumped head with old Whomper Whelan. Fought to keep the cattle industry from Marketing boards. It was closer then most think to happening. :?
I got to know Ted and Olive Perrin a bit during my terms as a director on the SSGA.
Have you read Gertie Minor's book?

That's interesting stuff.
I do have a copy of Lady Rancher, signed by Gertie to my grandparents. My grandpa's brother Rex married Alice Minor and they are both alive and well to this day. Rex is mentioned in the book, as when John Minor put the big place together in BC then died in a plane crash, Rex went to BC and looked after the place for a while.

Greetings to all of you.

I've read this post and another post recently on the same subject from top to bottom twice.

I'm hoping for a little grace from those of you who are clearly more experienced and invested in the beef business than I am as I ask my question.

I'm really curious WHY anybody would be spaying heifers in this current cattle supply environment?

I saw one individual state that a relative's ranch spayed "open" heifers after a brief breeding opportunity..... OK, I get that. With the price of beef its an easy decision to make that open animals become the next product right away.

But, some of the posters talked about spaying HUNDREDS of heifers as a matter of course. This is where I'm confounded.

The number of beef making "factories" is at a 60 year low. I listened to a fellow make a pitch at a dairy industry confab in California last month. He is cajoling dairymen to quit raising replacement dairy cows and to instead AI open dairy cows with beef breed semen to take advantage of the available uterus-es. To raise beef.

With desperate industry changing thinking like that occurring it seems that beef cow owners would be utilizing all of their uterus-es instead of treating them like steers.

What say you?

Latest posts