• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of Harry Potter.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yup, I got myself a copy, its in the Tractor CD player from haying. :D:D

Since I got it I've been the only cowboy hat wearing guy with a maui shirt and hawaiian shorts in town lately :lol:

Angus Cattle Shower said:
Yup, I got myself a copy, its in the Tractor CD player from haying. :D:D

Since I got it I've been the only cowboy hat wearing guy with a maui shirt and hawaiian shorts in town lately :lol:

Probably don't expect that to change anytime soon. :) :lol: :lol:

Soapweed said:
Jassy said:
I know HP is exciting to some and awful to others...but here's my 2 cents worth...HP came out the same time my son was at the age of Harry, so I got him the book, he loved it, I got the tapes and listened to em while checking cows, I loved em. When the first movie came out my son and I went to it together and then gabbed all the way home about it. This has gone on between us through all the books and movies. The best thing though is last month when the movie came out, he's 19 now, he called from Cheyenne and asked if I would come out and we'd go to the movie...so I did...hey drive 6hrs to go see a movie with my college kid...you bet! Then just a few nite ago, he called and had just finished the last book, and we talked it all over for at least an hour...so to me HP has been a good bonding thing for me and my kid, and apparently it has meant something to him too over the years, since he still wants to share it with me....by the way, he read the last book in a day and half..lol I can't wait to get the tapes!

That is great, Jassy. I commend you and your son for having a common bond through the years. Undoubtedly he is a better reader because of the Harry Potter books, and if a person can read and likes to read, they can learn anything without the help of any other teacher.

Peach Blossom is a fine Christian lady, but she admits that the old television show "Bewitched" was one of her favorites. Santa Claus has a place in Christmas, but we must never forget that Christ is the real reason for Christmas. There is nothing wrong with being well versed on all sorts of schools of thought, as long as we keep priorities of right and wrong in clear focus.

Our three grandchildren who can read have devoured the books as fast as possible and both sets of parents agree about their reading skills taking a leap. they even had to set limits for one girl on how long she could have her nose in the book each day! I'm sorry to say I haven't read even one yet due to always having another book on hand that needs reading. Sorry I didn't do what Jassy did. We just had vacation with all these kids and it would have been a good (bonding) topic to discuss had I taken the initiative. Missed my one chance to be a "hip" grandmom! :cry2:

kolanuraven said:
If you want to 'catch up' get the books on tape!!!! They're the best!

Good idea if the library has them. don't usually enjoy fantasy books but I have some furniture stripping to do while listening...

I got disillusioned with books on tape when I bought one. listend to it on a drive from Montana to Chicago and than was given the book as a present. Read the book and there was so much stuff they abrdiged out of the tape that it just bugged me.. I agree that they are great for listening to on a car drive but I am just way to fond of the minds eye and hearing the book through my imagination instead of through loud speakers.. But I am also the sick guy who can read a book in an afternoon or so.

kolanuraven said:
There is a move here by the religious right to have all Harry Potter books banned from school libraries. Their basis for this is that the book if full of ' witchcraft' and ' evil'.

Is any of this going on anywhere else on the continent....or is just one of those "Southern hissies" that get pitched over nothing?

That happened around here, in a bigger city close to where I live, but they got so many protesters about it, they caved and put them back in the schools. I think its ridiculus, its a made up story, and there are alot of good things about the books.

Latest posts