• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spooky Dry

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We, like a lot of others, are having a heck of a time this summer with lack of moisture. Last night, an electric pump controller caught fire and caused a brush fire west of here. We responded as quick as we could and got it knocked down in just over 4 hours. Thankfully we had an irriagted hayfield on 2 sides which slowed it down. Hope ya'll stay safe and any fires still burning are contained soon. Be careful and pray for rain!

Glad to hear you got it put out, it's so scary dry this summer. The 75,000 acre fire in Colorado is just south of us, and expanding daily. The forecast is for 90-100's next week with wind. Here is the view from near my house:

Winter591.jpg

Luckily it hasn't been terribly smoky here, but enough to make my eyes water and nose plug up. I'm so worried about the cattle on the forest, what a year... but it could always be worse I suppose.

We are super dry here too...but not as bad just south of here out on the desert. We are lucky and have a great forest range guy and got permission to run our cows on our allotment a week early this year; the first time we have ever been able to do that. Got lucky too to put some extra hay fields up this year too. We are ALL praying for rain (no lightening, just rain). If you get some in your area in UT, please please please send it northeast to us! :)

guy came by tonight wants me to put up some hay on shears told him ok, drove by the hay and maybe 1/2 will be worth cutting
Last 2 morning were the first 2 morning in June with out frost, don't matter how much irrigation water you got when it frezzes every night

'Spooky Dry' is for sure the truth. We've got fires all around us and it's just a matter of time, with these drought conditions, before we have a major fire.

Glad you got yours stomped on quick.

WOW WYrancher! That smoke is pure scary! :shock: We have had a bunch of fire in Utah in the last week. One south of here down near Delta has burnt 16400 acres and caught some cattle and over east by the big city they evatuated over 250 homes. New Mexico has burned and Colorado has huge fires! Ya'll stay safe. Cows and fences can be replaced even though it's tough!

For Sale: Rain Gauge,
Almost New. Only Used
Once, Never Been Emptied!!
Best Offer, It's Named "Lucky".
Bob Harlan, 307-***-****

That is an ad in this weeks Wyoming Livestock Roundup. If we did'nt have Hay Creek and the Belle Fourche Rive running through our place we would really be in a bind. I have no idea what we are going to do about hay though. Our neighbor, who we usually get hay from has'nt put up the first bale this year and does'nt see it happening. It is scary dry around here.

Tex

I sure feel for you and all the others without moisture leanin' H-but up here in NE MT we just seem to keep getting dumped on... Finally got the crossing up north dry enough we were able to get the cows/calves across and calves branded yesterday-- and its good we did- as during the night thunderstorms rolled thru and just dumped on that area... I've heard reports of 2 to 4 inches...

Still little thunderstorms rolling along the border- some look like they could be getting Big Muddy a little damp.. Today is the Opheim rodeo- and I heard the rodeo grounds looks like a swamp...My daughter and granddaughters are there, but I didn't feel like wading around in the mud anymore....

We just got a little shower about 6am. I saw rain on the north window and then looked out to the west and nothing. I came down to let the dogs out the front door and it was all banked up to the east and blowing rain at the front of the house. :?

Dad said it looked like south side of Sheridan county had some red spots on the radar.

We have had some rain but missed alot of the better showers, most seem north or west of us. :(

Latest posts