• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Started vaccinating for scours

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Brought the 100 cows that wintered at home off the hay meadow today, vaccinated with Scourguard 4KC and put them in the calving pasture.

Bait and go.
P3240723.jpg

Heading home.
P3240725.jpg

Line dance?
P3240726.jpg

Final 1/2 mile.
P3240727.jpg

Guichon Creek stayed open all winter.
P3240729.jpg

Into the corral.
P3240730.jpg

Boss lady surveying the situation.
P3240733.jpg

The old girls wintered pretty good.
P3240734.jpg

Up the alley to the chute.
P3240735.jpg

Done and fed. We left the house after lunch at 1:10, mile and a half to the feedground,picked up the mineral trough and returned with the cows. Vaccinated and fed. We were back in for tea at 3:30. :D
P3240736.jpg

Black heifers we bought 2 weeks ago from Val Marie, Saskatchewan. They are due to calve April 20 but there are a few we think will be earlier than that.
P3240731.jpg

P3240732.jpg

If it wasn't for the snow it would look almost summer like. :D :D

Cows and Hfrs look GOOD.

Those early ones are probably the brahmer ones. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Is that some sort of manure bucket for the JD? sitting in the snow
:?

We're not worrying about dust yet. :lol:

That is a rock bucket that works far better for breaking up packed snow and ice than what it is designed for. Not one of my better purchases. :roll:

Great pictures. I keep thinking I need a rock bucket with a grapple fork for my skidsteer. Just can't justify $1800 for it.
Cows look great!

Those new heifers would be right at home here, and they even have the right colored ear tag :wink: :D . Your cattle look great, as usual. Good luck with your calving, I'm sure it will go smoothly.

WyomingRancher said:
Those new heifers would be right at home here, and they even have the right colored ear tag :wink: :D . Your cattle look great, as usual. Good luck with your calving, I'm sure it will go smoothly.

It would have been a shorter trip to get them to your place. :D

Cows look like they layed on the beach all winter sippin' margaritas and eating biscuts! :D I really like those black heifers. Hope they work well for ya. We used scourgaurd 4KC as well this year and ..........after Soapweed's jinx of himself i ain't saying a thing about how it has worked. :shock: :D

Clarencen said:
I like your pictures. Thanks for posting them

Your welcome Clarence, glad you enjoyed them. We are working more cattle this afternoon and will take the camera.

I cleaned the lens today. :oops:

Big Muddy rancher said:
WyomingRancher said:

It would have been a shorter trip to get them to your place. :D

Oh really, I guess he should have sent them here, and found himself better ones :D.

Are good cattle that hard to find for sale in B.C,or why would you come all the way to saskatchewan to buy bred heifers?I'm sure there was lots of good heifers for sale in the province between there and here.

We were in a bad scours wreck in '91 and have been vaccinating since then. First used Scourguard 3KC, then ScourBos 9 and now Guardian. Have thought about not vaccinating a time or two then remember how terrible '91 was then run them down the alleyway again. Your cows are in good rig, hope calving goes well for you.

Thanks for the pics gcreek, looks like those cows were spoiled rotten this winter.
We quit the vaccination a few years ago, we'll see how that goes going forward.

3words said:
Are good cattle that hard to find for sale in B.C,or why would you come all the way to saskatchewan to buy bred heifers?I'm sure there was lots of good heifers for sale in the province between there and here.

There aren't many cattle available in BC that fit. I passed on a nice set of heifers in Dawson Creek last Thursday because the seller had no vaccination program other than one shot of Blackleg as calves. :roll:
Our experience has been that if they have not been covered for BVD, BRSV etc., they die when they get here. The cattle I've tried to buy in Alberta have been $150+ over what this set of heifers cost landed at home. Still looking for another load or two at the right dollar figure.

Concerning the scour issue, we went through the same wreck as most have back in '96. Still scared to quit. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Concerning the scour issue, we went through the same wreck as most have back in '96. Still scared to quit. :wink:

We were scared for a while, now we're just nervous. But the medicine to treat is so much better now we seem to be able to nip things in the bud awful quick. Guess I better touch wood. We'll be your guinnea pig :wink:
The vet told me if he wasn't already on the programme he wouldn't do be doing it. :???:

Latest posts