• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Strange Weather

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
It's just not right feeding hay in weather hotter than day you baled it :? . If this keeps up, I'll be making a plan to wean calves. Hopefully things improve in the next 50 days. Crazy!

WyomingRancher said:
It's just not right feeding hay in weather hotter than day you baled it :? . If this keeps up, I'll be making a plan to wean calves. Hopefully things improve in the next 50 days. Crazy!

Yep- I agree... BUT I can't believe I'm out there in my little wool vest I wear 9/10ths of the year weighing and tagging calves...
Luckily we have fairly good submoisture (all the farmers are out seeding) and lots of old grass... This morning smelled like rain- but its still all going west of us......

The fun/ease of calving in this kind of weather could easily make me a May/June calver ......

WyomingRancher said:
Yeah, it's been crazy warm over here in the western part of the state too. We get just cold enough at night it puts a major crust on the snow we still have---we drove the team of horses right up on top of it yesterday! By 10am you just flat fall through though. We start calving in a few weeks and although we are enjoying the warm weather, we are dreading how it will probably change :) You know it will...enjoy it while we can!

Oldtimer said

The fun/ease of calving in this kind of weather could easily make me a May/June calver ......[/quote]

Yuuupp.. then become a May/June calver, it's not that hard to do :wink: :wink:

The other day I was asked if I wished I was calving in this nice weather. I said I calve in nice weather every year. :wink: :)

Last night we got 2" of rain in about 30 minutes but about 30 miles south they had to close the Interstate as they got from 6" to 8" of pea sized hail - - - Had to get the snow plows out at +60F - - - really crazy!

It was 74 yesterday here in NE Wyoming. Today it's 64 and no wind. We are moving the bred heifers in close this afternoon. They should start calving any day and the cows start April 1. This weather definetly has us spooked.

Kinda sad that as ranchers we cant enjoy nice spring weather. We are waiting on the other shoe to drop. Chalk it up to experience I guess.

Tex

Beautiful sunny morning here...... -23C and no calves yet. Rather keep the irrigation water frozen until we need it anyway. :D

Water is dripping off the roof now.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Last year we hauled no manure because of the wet year. Now we are hauling and cleaning pens and the dust is flying off the roads. :?

Driving tractor? Next thing you'll be wearing rubber boots and bustin' sod like a farmer! :lol:

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Last year we hauled no manure because of the wet year. Now we are hauling and cleaning pens and the dust is flying off the roads. :?

Driving tractor? Next thing you'll be wearing rubber boots and bustin' sod like a farmer! :lol:

Payloader. :D

The son is hauling with the Pete and end dump. We stock pile it near the fields to rot down. Some day we will get a spreader in to clean up the piles.It is about a 3 mile haul so we can move it a lot cheaper then spread.

Spoke too soon, -24 this morning and one of the Val Marie heifers just calved.

NOT a braymer BMR and unassisted. :D Will let momma (and she is one :shock: ) clean it off before I see if it needs to come in and warm up by the heater for a bit.

well it's 0 celsius here this morning i've got 112 calved out and 25 to go.so far this year i've had 7 sets of twins,simmental is the only common link.I've got a june 1st cut off so i think it is going to slow right down and be quiet in the calving pen for awhile.

Well I just planned branding for the 7th, so I hope that brings on some moisture :wink: :D. Enough green grass showing, and enough old grass that the cows are becoming unconvinced they need to come to feed. I try and have an extra year of grass on hand, so I would rather they eat a little more hay now and save the grass for later... just in case. I've just never had to deal with a solid March of 50-60 degree weather, who knew it would present whole new challenges?! Ranching is never dull, never :wink: :D .

Latest posts