• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Subject: checkoff

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
South Dakota Stock Growers Association passes resolution at its annual convention in Rapid City to call for a cooperative effort to refer the national checkoff program.

Subject: checkoff

Resolution passed by SDSGA membership, September 18, 2005

Be it Resolved: The South Dakota Stockgrowers Association supports a vote on the national beef check off program every five years,

Be it Further Resolved: The South Dakota Stockgrowers Association supports a referendum on the national beef check off, in cooperation with the other states and organizations.

Surely the SDSGA leaders making that decision do know that the only way under the law to have a referendum on the Beef Checkoff is for a mere ten percent of beef producers (previously defined as selling at least one animal and paying the checkoff on it in the year prior to the referendum, I believe) sign petitions asking for a vote, don't they?

MRJ

as it stands, I would dump the check off.

however, IF there was a way to keep the checkoff, and account for 100% of the money, making sure the head honchos are not getting over paid and living large off of MY money, then I would support it.

those sum beeches that claim to be looking out for MY best interest sure never come get my opinion, never ask how I am getting along, never are even in the area to talk over things. But they sure as hell are right there to get that check off dollar.

take the top 10 people in the beef board.....what percent of the check off dollar goes to pay the wages?? we are geting hosed. the best way to make money in the cattle business is not raising cattle, it is working for the beef board and pilering the check off money!!!

less administration, more advertising!

How come I hear the beef its whats for dinner com. every day during the farm reports.You would think they could find a better time slot to reach the consumer. :mad:

jigs,

Very simple question, give me an example of a misuse of checkoff dollars. Just one!

Anyone can sit on the sidelines and criticize the beef checkoff if they have never been involved in deciding how those dollars could be spent. Sideline critics on the beef checkoff are a dime a dozen.

Perhaps you'd like the beef industry to join the sheep industry and do away with a national beef checkoff and watch poulty and pork take back the portion of the market share we gained in recent years? While checkoff critics blame packer concentration and captive supplies the real reason for lower cattle prices would be lost market share to poulty and pork. Perhaps R-CALF would try to sue the consumer once they finally figured it out.

The sheepmen voted down their national checkoff and their industry dove into the tank. Recently they voted it back in by a 80% landslide vote because most of their checkoff critics went broke and are no longer part of the industry.

I do have to admit that I struggle with some producers being forced to benefit from the checkoff against their will. It would be nice if the benefits from the checkoff were only seen by those who paid in while the critics withered on the vine in the commodity beef industy.

~SH~

SH said:
Very simple question, give me an example of a misuse of checkoff dollars. Just one!

The use of checkoff dollars proclaiming how great the checkoff has worked! Beef is a net loser in market share ever since there has been a checkoff!

By the same reasoning Robert, the beef industry has suffered loss of demand since you started your grass fed beef program. Does that mean you are responsible for the decline?

SH...Very simple question, give me an example of a misuse of checkoff dollars. Just one!

RobertMac...The use of checkoff dollars proclaiming how great the checkoff has worked! Beef is a net loser in market share ever since there has been a checkoff!

Robert it is probably not illegal, but some states beef councils send money directly to the NCBA other than the 50 cents out of each checkoff dollar they send to the CBB. South Dakota from Oct. 1, 2004-Aug.29, 2005, sent $860,093.04 dollars directly to the NCBA. The NCBA does not have to contract for this money, it is just sent to them.

~SH~ said:
jigs,

Anyone can sit on the sidelines and criticize the beef checkoff if they have never been involved in deciding how those dollars could be spent. Sideline critics on the beef checkoff are a dime a dozen.

Perhaps you'd like the beef industry to join the sheep industry and do away with a national beef checkoff and watch poulty and pork take back the portion of the market share we gained in recent years? While checkoff critics blame packer concentration and captive supplies the real reason for lower cattle prices would be lost market share to poulty and pork. Perhaps R-CALF would try to sue the consumer once they finally figured it out.

The sheepmen voted down their national checkoff and their industry dove into the tank. Recently they voted it back in by a 80% landslide vote because most of their checkoff critics went broke and are no longer part of the industry.

I do have to admit that I struggle with some producers being forced to benefit from the checkoff against their will. It would be nice if the benefits from the checkoff were only seen by those who paid in while the critics withered on the vine in the commodity beef industy.

~SH~

perhaps you should re read my post. I want a more detailed report on every penny they STEAL from me. If it were a voluntary donation, then I would say screw it, but being FORCED to pay, I simply want to know where my money goes.

you give me $5,000 and I will promote your beef, but just trust me that I will promote it, and don't ask where or how I spent the money!

sound corrupt?? that is my point

Robert Mac,

Informing producers where their checkoff dollars are being spent is not a misuse of checkoff dollars.

TRY AGAIN!

Jason: "By the same reasoning Robert, the beef industry has suffered loss of demand since you started your grass fed beef program. Does that mean you are responsible for the decline?"

HAHAHAHA!

TOUCHE'!!!

Exactly! Talk about a shallow point of view. Perhaps the beef checkoff had something to do with the space shuttle falling out of the sky too.

Tommy: "Robert it is probably not illegal, but some states beef councils send money directly to the NCBA other than the 50 cents out of each checkoff dollar they send to the CBB. South Dakota from Oct. 1, 2004-Aug.29, 2005, sent $860,093.04 dollars directly to the NCBA. The NCBA does not have to contract for this money, it is just sent to them."

Do you have a point Tommy?

Do you know how those checkoff dollars are being used?

Do you know how they are being misused?

Or are you just looking for something to bitch about AGAIN?

Jigs,

Perhaps you misunderstood my question. Do you know of any misuse of checkoff dollars? Yes or No?

~SH~

SH... Do you have a point Tommy?

Yes Scott I have a point. The cattle producers who pay those checkoff dollars know that half of each dollar goes to the CBB. What they do not know is that state beef councils are sending part of the other half directly to the NCBA with no stings attached. That has a smell to it in my opinion.

Jason, there is NO reasoning to your post...I don't get $.50/head from all cattle sold with the charge to promote beef...the CBB does! If not for Atkins and other high protein diets, beef usage would still be in decline...almost 100% for the time the checkoff has been in existence. You two and CBB sound like a bunch of liberals...don't judge us by our results, judge us by our intentions!!!! :mad:

SH said:
Robert Mac,

Informing producers where their checkoff dollars are being spent is not a misuse of checkoff dollars.

TRY AGAIN!

It' obvious why you didn't quote what I said because that isn't what I said. If I or anyone else did this to you, you would call us a liar!

RobertMac...The use of checkoff dollars proclaiming how great the checkoff has worked! Beef is a net loser in market share ever since there has been a checkoff!

RM: "If not for Atkins and other high protein diets, beef usage would still be in decline...almost 100% for the time the checkoff has been in existence."

That is absolutely untrue and one of the most shallow, baseless evaluations I have ever seen.

As if new product development such as the flat iron steak, 10 minute microwavable products, and tenderness research leading to cryovac aging didn't add value to our cattle. GIVE ME A BREAK!

That's the problem with blamers like you. Half the time you don't have a clue what you are even talking about.

RM: "Beef is a net loser in market share ever since there has been a checkoff!"

If not for the beef checkoff, your cattle prices would have been less than they were. That is a fact. When you don't know all the factors that contribute to lower cattle prices, blamers like you single out one factor and either give it full credit or full blame. The epitomy of ignorance.

Where have beef supplies been?
Where was discretionary consumer spending for that time period?
Where were competitive meat prices and competitive meat supplies?

I BET YOU CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER COMPETING WITH $8 HOGS CAN YOU???

Are you suggesting that non of these factors influenced cattle prices until atkins came along????

YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE!

Just another Monday morning quarterback that wants to bitch about the checkoff without taking the initiative to find out the truth.

Tommy,

GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF HOW CHECKOFF DOLLARS HAVE BEEN MISUSED.

~SH~

I sure didn't realize there was ANYONE in the cattle business who didn't know or hadn't heard that 100% of the money is absolutely accounted for.

Jigs, you certainly should be able to get that information on the financial statement, which at least in SD is available to producers. Probably is in KS, too. You may need to ask your representative on the KS Beef Council, if you don't know how to get the info. I seriously doubt there is any such fund MORE scrutinized by people, both those favoring it, and most especially by those opposed to it, than is the Beef Checkoff. Surely, if there was any form of corruption, it would be discovered and exposed.

You are totally off base in thinking the "top 10 people in the beef board" get ANY checkoff wages of any kind. SOME of their expenses are paid, but they are volunteering ALL the time they spend working for the cattle/beef industry. Salaries of staff are very modest by industry (all industry, not just beef, standards).

Administration costs are, under the law, capped at 5% of income. I do not believe that level has been reached, and that it may be around 3.5% if I recall correctly. Advertising is many times that.

BTW, there is a requirement for producer information in the Beef Checkoff law, a reasonably small percentage is spent to let producers know how their money is spent. The advertising is used a bit in ag publications and other media to demonstrate what consumers see. The lions share of advertising is targeted to a specific audience, of people ages 25 to 54 who purchase the groceries and make eating out decisions for their families. Such targeting was arrived at by research to determine how best to spend the dollars for the best possible return.

MRJ

SH...Tommy,

Scott I said previous that what they are doing is probably legal. The CBB gets half of every checkoff dollar Scott and the different state beef councils get the other half. The NCBA gets close to 90% of the contracts from the CBB. Your state, and other state beef councils send the NCBA a lot of money each year without the NCBA having to contract for it and with no strings attached.This is out of the other half of the dollar that goes to the state beef councils.

Tommy said:
SH...Tommy,

Scott I said previous that what they are doing is probably legal. The CBB gets half of every checkoff dollar Scott and the different state beef councils get the other half. The NCBA gets close to 90% of the contracts from the CBB. Your state, and other state beef councils send the NCBA a lot of money each year without the NCBA having to contract for it and with no strings attached.This is out of the other half of the dollar that goes to the state beef councils.

{Tommy, I'm sure you KNOW what they are doing with Checkoff dollars DEFINITELY IS legal!

Apparently you just can't help trying to stir up trouble.

FACT: Money from the state fifty cents of the Checkoff dollar that some state Beef Councils send to NCBA Federation of State Beef Councils (the national organization for the state Beef Council groups, do you understand?) is used ONLY in accordance with the strict rules of the law. Your claim of "no strings attached" is purely fictional.

Those producers whose states do send some of their share of the checkoff to the Federation of State Beef Councils get more representation at the national decision making level of the Beef Checkoff. Additionally, their checkoff money does more advertising, research, etc. that goes out to far more consumers than reside in their own states, most of which produce many times more beef than their population can eat. Just makes sense, doesn't it?

MRJ

MRJ,

I'll bet you have explained that one hundred times on this forum alone yet conspiracy theorists like Tommy have to continue their relentless checkoff witch hunt with nothing in hand hand to back their concerns.

Tommy, sending half of the state money to the National Beef Industry Council branch of the NCBA is not proof of misuse of checkoff dollars.

Instead of relying on your conspiring imagination to be left wondering how those checkoff dollars are spent, WHY DON'T YOU GET AN ACCOUNTING OF CHECKOFF DOLLAR EXPENDITURES AND INCOME.

At least then you might actually find a legitimate complaint.

I'll ask you again,

GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF MISUSE OF CHECKOFF DOLLARS!!!!!

~SH~

WHY DON'T YOU GET AN ACCOUNTING OF CHECKOFF DOLLAR EXPENDITURES AND INCOME.

I tried to find one and couldn't, they just list so much for advertising, promotion and etc., but nothing is broke down. Does anyone know where you can get this info?

rancher said:
WHY DON'T YOU GET AN ACCOUNTING OF CHECKOFF DOLLAR EXPENDITURES AND INCOME.

I tried to find one and couldn't, they just list so much for advertising, promotion and etc., but nothing is broke down. Does anyone know where you can get this info?

rancher, have you tried the www.beefboard.org website? If you can't find it there, call or email Monte Reese. [email protected]
or 303-220-9890. If he can't answer, leave a message and he will return your call. He will get back to you, one way or the other, if you don't make direct contact.

jigs, have any of you complaints or comments about the checkoff been answered to your satisfaction? I don't claim to know everything there is to know about it, but I do know where to go to find out, and am happy to do so if it helps even one more rancher better understand our Beef Checkoff.

I also believe ranchers have a responsibility to learn as much as they can about the checkoff, and to give their thoughts on it to the leadership. One way you can do that is simple as emailing Monte Reese, going right to the top. A phone call would be even better. Have you checked out that website? I don't do that as much as I should because my computer is so slow, but do know there is a wealth of information there.

A recent and very exciting project with some checkoff dollars leveraging LOTS of business dollars is the Boston Garden promotion. That has been a chicken featuring restaurant chain. Checkoff people convinced them to put in a line of sirloin roast and steak entrees. I've heard their ads on HGTV, and the music caught my attention, when most ads just roll on by as I'm usually reading while watching TV. Next time we are in Rapid City, we hope to try one of those sirloins!

I do not know the figures on this promo, but for the previous year, all such checkoff partnerships with businesses were at a rate of ONE checkoff dollar to SIXTY business dollars. Businesses respect the leaders and staff of the Beef Checkoff, and those leaders and staff are doing an excellent job of maximizing checkoff impact.

MRJ

RobertMac said:
SH said:

The use of checkoff dollars proclaiming how great the checkoff has worked! Beef is a net loser in market share ever since there has been a checkoff!

The loss in market share was hardly caused by the beef checkoff. Your comment only shows how far you are willing to go to support your unending bias and make false accusations.

Please prove your point with hardcore data. The mere fact that beef's market share has declined does not establish cause. Bring on your facts from which you derive your opinion.

Latest posts