• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sudan seed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
$80 a hundred, add the cost of fertilizer, diesel and labor.
so much for spring planting, believe i will just sit this one out.
good luck

If you're just planning on sitting on your butt you can fly north and help calve. :wink:

I'll supply you're Sat. night whisky, you bring your woollies and a Martin. :D

gcreekrch said:
If you're just planning on sitting on your butt you can fly north and help calve. :wink:

That would be a sight, The long tall Chilcotin and the scrawny Texan with their ears being stretched by Debbie telling them to quit the yarnin' and get out and check those cows. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man up and go for it I'm poised to plant 250 acres of corn here seed cost alone is $56 an acre then there's fuel,rent,taxes, fertilizer,spraying,tillage,custom combineing.trucking.drying,storeing,reloading and trucking again.wheww.

Can anyone tell me the difference in

Sudan grass
sorghum sudan
forage sorghum

Seems all the same to me, just someone put different names on the same type product.

So I guess then planting Corn is out if 80 bucks a hundred is expensive :wink:

gcreekrch said:

That was soundin pretty good till you mentioned "woolies" and while I appreciate the invite there is always someting to do around here or south, but i am goin to Canada, just a matter of timing and Big dummie is right we might get our ears stretched by Debbie for sippin that canadian whiskey pickin that martin and talkin about days gone by.
good luck

Larrry said:

Sudan grass
sorghum sudan
forage sorghum

Seems all the same to me, just someone put different names on the same type product.

Planning on being a hay farmer Larry ? :D
good luck

PS When you figure out the differnce in that seed and that it's 4x the cost it was 4 years ago, believe you might change your mind.

Denny said:
Man up and go for it I'm poised to plant 250 acres of corn here seed cost alone is $56 an acre then there's fuel,rent,taxes, fertilizer,spraying,tillage,custom combineing.trucking.drying,storeing,reloading and trucking again.wheww.

I dont know how yall farm corn up there but, you left out one important detail that aint cheap either H2O, alll this corn down here gets flooded.
good luck

PS I guess I could make hay pencil @ $80 cwt for seed but with the stock gone and the drought condition unknown, why work that cheap ?

You could get H to buy more goats and rent him pasture if the weed crop comes in good. :wink:

If you were to get sufficient rain, what would come in voluntararily?

gcreekrch said:
You could get H to buy more goats and rent him pasture if the weed crop comes in good. :wink:

with all the hoopla in the papers these days about traning cattle to eat weeds he wouldn't even need goats. Maybe get a new proffesion as a cow trainer or a weed whisperer :wink: :wink: :lol:

HAY MAKER said:
Larrry said:

Sudan grass
sorghum sudan
forage sorghum

good luck

PS When you figure out the differnce in that seed and that it's 4x the cost it was 4 years ago, believe you might change your mind.

I have just laid in 120 bag so I guess i will probably plant it.
And yes it is expensive, but like I said show me any seed that isn't expensive.

So the alternatives in TX would be what, cotton or milo?

gcreekrch said:

WEEDS........................ :mad:
And more weeds :D .
I believe i would rather have the weeds than a damn goat.
good luck

Larrry said:
HAY MAKER said:
Larrry said:

Sudan grass
sorghum sudan
forage sorghum

good luck

I have just laid in 120 bag so I guess i will probably plant it.
And yes it is expensive, but like I said show me any seed that isn't expensive.

So the alternatives in TX would be what, cotton or milo?

Being ranchers, all we have ever planted was the cane type hay and have some costal Bermuda with improved pastures, works good if we get normal rainfall.
so I really caint say what crops would be an alternative we aint set up for anything like that, silos/Bins etc.
good luck

Latest posts