• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sunday ride, July 29, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Headingouttoroundupyearlingheifers800x600.jpg

Heading out to round up yearling heifers
KosmoKidshutiingthegate800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid shutting the gate
JFRanchonthebay800x600.jpg

JF Ranch on the bay
Cattlecongregatingatawindmill800x600.jpg

Cattle congregating at a windmill
Thedogdecidedtofollowme800x600.jpg

The dog decided to follow me. :roll: :wink:
Myhorseisinterested800x600.jpg

My horse is interested.
Andsoaretheheifers800x600.jpg

And so are the heifers
Thisonedontlikethedog800x600.jpg

This one doesn't like the dog. :x
Nowtheyarebothtryingtolooknonchalant800x600.jpg

They both are trying to act nonchalant. Kind of a south-of-the-border stand-off.
Nowtogetthemstarted800x600.jpg

Now to get them started. For a little while we played ring-around-the-rosie with the run-off pond, and it was fun for the girls to chase the dog.
Guesswherethedogis800x600.jpg

Guess where the dog is :???:
Thedogisfollowingcloselybehind600x800.jpg

Following closely behind
Andnowontheside800x600.jpg

And now on the side
Cohortsonahill800x600.jpg

Cohorts on a hill
Nicemorningfortheride800x600.jpg

Nice morning for the ride
Heifersgoingupthehill800x600.jpg

Heifers going up the hill
Motorcycleatthecafe800x600.jpg

Motorcycle at the cafe
Neatdogcarrier800x600.jpg

Neat dog carrier
Clydethehappycamper800x600.jpg

Clyde, the happy camper
Patientponies800x600.jpg

Patient ponies
Feelssogood800x600.jpg

Feels wonderful
Lifeisgood800x600.jpg

Life is good
Onelastshakeforgoodtimessake800x600.jpg

One last shake for old times sake

Looks to me like you wasted some roping practice. :wink:

Not so good when the wettest things in your country are windmill ponds and saddle blankets. :(

Peach let you ride her new horse???

Keep practicing with the dog and everyone will 'get' it. :D
I think you have a 'wanna-be cowdog' there.

And JF rides a Ralph Shimon saddle too, I'm guessing.
What does it say behind the cantle?

Thanks for the pictures. Cattle look really good.

Things have went to heck in a handbasket on the Spearhead! :shock: 1st ya turned out Herefords bulls and now there's a dog on the payroll? Holy smokes Soap, do ya need a drug test? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like a fun time! My oldest boy is super cautious. Comes in handy, but can't wait until we can seperate and bring in the herd together a horseback! My yearling heifers love to chase everything that comes close to the herd. That's quite the deal for the dog that person has set up! :D

leanin' H said:
Things have went to heck in a handbasket on the Spearhead! :shock: 1st ya turned out Herefords bulls and now there's a dog on the payroll? Holy smokes Soap, do ya need a drug test? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I won't try to speak for Soapweed but since the Black Lab is my dog, I'll pipe up. This dog is just two & a half and has become my best pal. After nearly getting rid of him last fall for being a pure nuisance, he started going with me everywhere and now he's always by my side. I'm starting to like him a little.

If we had planned on sorting these heifers, or doing anything with them besides just trailing them to the corrals, I'd have left him home but as we left, I announced to Soap that the pooch would be coming with us. I was surprised that when we split up at the pasture to look for the heifers, the dog chose to go with him, instead of me. The pictures were taken while Kosmo & I were checking out the other corners of the pasture. The curious heifers were thrilled at this unexpected and entertaining diversion to show up.

I think Soapy sorta liked him, even though he likes to blow off a lot of steam about dogs. To this mutt's credit, he doesn't even try to be a cowdog. He's a harmless fellow, living an ideal dog's life out in the wide open spaces.

Faster horses said:
And JF rides a Ralph Shimon saddle too, I'm guessing.
What does it say behind the cantle?

Yep, it's a Shimon. Soapy loaned me his, some thirty years ago and I liked it enough to order my first one. Since then, I've picked up another four or five of them so I can have several horses saddled at the same time and with different trees to fit various horses.

I think the medallion on the back signifies Ralph's 50th anniversary. This was the last one I ordered from him several years ago.

PS: I'd sure like to find a home for this nice bay mare. She's a five year old double bred Frosty Feature out of a full sister to my World Show mare. She is as sensitive and responsive as I've raised. Not for an inexperienced rider, she's a little cinchy and grabs her butt a lot. However, I think she'll make a real nice horse for someone with soft hands.

Thanks, JF Ranch. You said it all. :wink:

Since it wasn't my land or my dog, I chose to follow an old Spike Van Cleve axiom: "Let sleeping, by God, dogs lie." :) It was ironic that when we split to go different directions, the dog chose to follow me. :roll: :wink: He is a good dog, though, and I do kind of like him. :)

years ago them fencing pliers would bout get a guy hung

way easier to see the country
lookin at soapweed's pictures
looks dry
thanks fer the tour

VB RANCH said:

looks dry
thanks fer the tour

All three saddles have fencing pliers on them. They often come in handy, even when a person is horseback.

My fencing pliers pouch might set a little bit high, but I like it there because it doesn't interfere with my back billet. However, I learned the hard way many years ago, that if the pliers have a sharp point on the back of the head, they need to be put in with the point to the front. Otherwise you can catch and tear your pants when you get on your horse. Like Soapy indicated, we use them a lot in the course of doing our work. My grandfather always carried a short handled hammer instead. He showed me how to stretch wire with one, by using the claw to hold the wire while "winching" it through the eye end of the other piece. This can't really be done with standard pliers.

My Dad sometimes used a hammer to stretch fence. He had a hammer with a steel handle (a piece of pipe) Easier to use then the old rope, block and tackle type stretcher

i have been packing plier's fer near
40 yr's
used them agin this morning
to cut a chunk of telephone
wire from around a calf's neck
she was pretty swelled but
not thru
i had her heeled with only one foot
and when i let her go
she give me a kick in the knee fer my trouble's
dang women any way

Soapweed said:
VB RANCH said:

looks dry
thanks fer the tour

All three saddles have fencing pliers on them. They often come in handy, even when a person is horseback.

VB RANCH said:
unfortunately

Just remember, when fencing pliers are outlawed, only outlaws will have fencing pliers. :? :wink:

At one time it could also, at least technically, get you sent to Huntsville for a couple of years if you carried it off your own place. Until 1973 it was a felony in Texas to be in possession of a wire-cutting tool while off your own premises.

Possession of a fence-cutting tool was, by law, prima facie evidence of intent to cut a fence, the assumption being that you wouldn't be cutting your own fence. I don't think anybody ever actually went to prison for felony possession of wire cutters in my lifetime, but I know of a number of folks who saw the inside of a county jail for 24 to 48 hours because they had something in the car or pickup that would cut wire and the sheriff wanted to hang onto them a while to see what else they'd been up to.

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhardt/Cowboy-Life-2-barbed-wire-fences.htm

Big Muddy rancher said:
Nice Fiador.

Guess I'm going to jail as every vehicle we have has a pair of fencing pliers, hammer and staples and wire stretchers. :shock:

That gives you the excuse that your were going to repair the fence after you cut it. :wink:

Latest posts