• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sustainable Ranching lectures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andybob

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJinY9-FBic
This might be of interest to those practising grass based beef production, and high density/regenerative grazing. Johann is one of the rare breed being an academic who is a hands on rancher.

Hi Andybob;

I havn't been here in a bit but I have watched some of those. They are real good, especially for those who have not been exposed to mob grazing or holistic management.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get much traction here due to folks being stuck in their paradigm of "it couldn't work here".

My neighbor went all holistic and that jazz, even drives around speaking at events. Well his place grew up in brush and he has to sell several head of cattle because they just can't make any money. So for me to take some of that seriously is hard to do..

4Diamond said:
My neighbor went all holistic and that jazz, even drives around speaking at events. Well his place grew up in brush and he has to sell several head of cattle because they just can't make any money. So for me to take some of that seriously is hard to do..

I think that just because one person might be struggling with a holistic approach to ranching doesn't mean it doesn't merit looking into it further.

Increased profits per acre via sustainable methods should be attractive to any rancher. Ranching always seems to be one of the slowest evolving industries.

I am about half way through the series, Andybob. It is similar to some of the material that Ranch Management Consultants teach. There is alot to be learned from people like Johann, Stan Parsons and others. Even if we only take a little bit and start applying it to our own operations the bottom line should improve enough to make the small amount of pain from changing worth the effort.

"Change" or "different" is where alot of people balk, even if not changing means a lowering of their profitability.

It is an interesting subject, and I have watched a small bit of the information. So far haven't seen what I feel is essential information, and am hopeful it will come up. Particularly the soil types and annual precipitation, as well as the timing with the various seasons....growing, fallow, etc. temperatures, winds, and more, which strongly affect forages. Native plants versus farmed, type of animals raised, available of labor (and cost!) I think most of us can't compete with those using interns who are either low paid, or even pay for their training/education in the system. Not to belabor those who go on to get paid to conduct schools on the subject.

I like the concept for some situations, just not sure that when our ranch has been evolving, changing with the validated range management information available over time, and maybe especially from the experience of our previous two generations on this and other related ranches since the late 1880's observations of range conditions as related to cattle grazing, that a dramatic change is the way to improve our ranch. We have been through many droughts and a few wonderfully good years and are raising more and better quality cattle/beef on actually less land, with (possibly debatable) more and better quality 'family time' for our home grown worker/owners each generation. The pay-off is ok right now, but the ever expanding government (all levels!) is ever more onerous, let alone the necessity to plan for the next drought (or maybe the correct term is the current one!).

And no, I'm not skeptical of the system just because it is new, but because I don't know enough about it, and am not terribly enthusiastic.......yet.

mrj

There is a lot more to be learned from Johann Zietsman than just rotational grazing.

IF profitability is important in your operation.......you need to see what Johann can offer.

The video series......as well as the MAN, CATTLE and VELD Book (http://mancattleveld.com).......contain a lot of valuable information and concepts for cattle breeding and grazing........that you can't get anywhere else.

Johann will be visiting the U.S. and teaching courses this August. For more information........visit......

http://profitableranching.com/Profitable_Ranching/Courses.html

bverellen said:
4Diamond said:

I think that just because one person might be struggling with a holistic approach to ranching doesn't mean it doesn't merit looking into it further.

Increased profits per acre via sustainable methods should be attractive to any rancher. Ranching always seems to be one of the slowest evolving industries.

I am about half way through the series, Andybob. It is similar to some of the material that Ranch Management Consultants teach. There is alot to be learned from people like Johann, Stan Parsons and others. Even if we only take a little bit and start applying it to our own operations the bottom line should improve enough to make the small amount of pain from changing worth the effort.

"Change" or "different" is where alot of people balk, even if not changing means a lowering of their profitability.
I don't disagree but when this gentleman speaks all over about how great it's been for his operation I greatly question it. Not everyone has the mentality for these types of changes and practices.

Latest posts