• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sweetbasil

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
OK I have to ask.

What is your major? My guess would be psychology. No doubt you have engaged, encouraged and brightened the day of many on here and in no way am I discouraging you to continue but many of your inquiries only really add up to a paper. Anthropology maybe or Political Science?

Inquiring minds are curious in regards to your inquiring mind if you don't mind. :wink:

per said:
OK I have to ask.

What is your major? My guess would be psychology. No doubt you have engaged, encouraged and brightened the day of many on here and in no way am I discouraging you to continue but many of your inquiries only really add up to a paper. Anthropology maybe or Political Science?

Inquiring minds are curious in regards to your inquiring mind if you don't mind. :wink:

"Inquiring minds" usually do read the Enquirer! I don't think you read my introduction "am a graduate student in Global Logistics. I have always love cows and horses but grew in a big cities. I am an only child but my mother was born on a farm in TN. She has encouraged me to get involved and learn as much as I can about ranches, horses, and of course, cows. I viewed some of your posts in this forum and I am fascinated with your tips and description of the daily challenges faced by ranchers and farmers. I look forward to be an active participant in this forum" here it is again.

In my field of study, a far cry from psychology, anthropolgy, or political science----we do not gather information but rather concentrate on higher levels of mathematical thinking to create formulas to propel goods in the chain of supply. Sorry to disappoint your curiousity.

P.S. You welcomed me in my introduction post (New Member, April 15)... and my next project will be in reverse logistics; nothing to do with psychology, anthropology, or political science.
:wink:
There is nothing wrong in asking questions about other people, it is part of human nature to want to learn from others to better understand one another.

No gathering of information? What about supplier relations, supplier selection, purchasing negotiations, operations, inventory, and customer relations.
Then tell me how do you handle these aspects of your master degee? When you start working are you going to ignore them at that time as well?
All of this is basd on peoples perceptions, feelings, and beliefs. To discount these human elements and only focus on higher levels of mathematical thinking to create formulas to propel goods in the chain of supply will not propel you in your job advancement.

Also where are you in you degree?
I know 2 ladies who dont have time for anything other than class and finishing up their course work.

There are inquiring minds who also read public forums.

MsSage said:
No gathering of information? What about supplier relations, supplier selection, purchasing negotiations, operations, inventory, and customer relations.
Then tell me how do you handle these aspects of your master degee?

MsSage,
Thank you for your questions. The major focus of supply chain and logistics is process improvement and lowering total cost (this includes, acquiring raw materials, inventory, contracting, and transportation). The information that one uses while working in the industry comes from one's own company; we don't go around gathering information from other companies etc. I will be in the management sector of this industry; lowering cost and improving the system will be my ultimate focus. The marketing department of any company is responsible for customer relations (people's feedback, opinions, beliefs, etc.) on new products. The main interaction that a supply chain or logistics supervisor has with marketing is relating to packaging selection, and how it will affect the cost in acquiring raw materials and transportation.

When you start working are you going to ignore them at that time as well?
I don't "discount" or "ignore" people's beliefs, perceptions, and feelings, it won't be part of my role as a supply chain or logistics supervisor to go around getting this type of feedback. However, I will be responsible to ensure that my employees in my own unit have a safe work environment, get incentives, make sure they have the tools needed to do the best work possible, and do anything within my power to make it a pleasant work experience for everyone.

All of this is basd on peoples perceptions, feelings, and beliefs. To discount these human elements and only focus on higher levels of mathematical thinking to create formulas to propel goods in the chain of supply will not propel you in your job advancement.

My degree and background uses a lot of quantitative tools (linear programming, calculus, management science, forecasting tools, modeling) among others to find ways to improve the system and lower cost. For you to say that "higher levels of mathematical thing to create formulas to propel goods in the chain of supply it will not propel you in your job advancement" I don't think it is a justified statement since you don't know me nor have you walked in my shoes.

Also where are you in you degree?

I am in my fifth class, have seven more to go. It is difficult compare myself with the other ladies, I don't know the pace of their program, nor do you know mine.

I know 2 ladies who dont have time for anything other than class and finishing up their course work.

There are inquiring minds who also read public forums.

I must apologize if you or anyone feel offended that I asked questions. I don't own a ranch nor do I know much about ranchers' lives or their struggles. I am a person who loves to learn about people, and I thought that I could relate to members in this forum by asking questions about life, and ask them to share a little piece of wisdom with me. It is not common nowadays that we turned to the members of our community or our elders for feedback about life, we tend be enamored with celebrities, instead using common people as our role models.

I didn't become a member to get people's feedback to go and write a "paper," I became a member in hopes of finding real people, with real things to share about life, and to make friends.

Sincerely,
SB

[/b]

Good point Sweetbasil I forgot about that intro post and the discussion about Logistics. I get a bit of a kick out of your posts. Maybe you should write a paper anyway, for your next degree. Some of us "older" posters have the odd brain hiccup.

Faster horses said:
I've been meaning to ask you, sweet basil, how did you find this forum?
I'm merely curious. You have added a whole different dimension here~
and in a good way. :D

Hello "Faster horses,"
I was looking for horseback riding lessons among other things. Google picked this site as an option for me; I really don't know what happened that night, but I read so many of posts from various members and looked at the different pictures before deciding to joined.

I have always been fascinated by horses and cows.

Thank you for your kind words. Hope all is well! :D

Latest posts