• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Talks by Chris Abbott and Leo McDonnell

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
On Saturday, March 19th, Chris Abbott and Leo McDonnell were guest speakers at the Gray Ranch Angus bull sale, at Harrison, Nebraska. KSDZ radio from Gordon, Nebraska, gave a live broadcast of their talks, and it is available yet on the radio archives. Look up www.ksdzfm.com and click on the top part of the page.

I don't necessarily agree with everything the speakers presented, but must give them credit that they are passionate and are trying to do what they think is right. There are definitely good dedicated people on both sides of the aisle, concerning NCBA and R-Calf. We all need to keep cool heads and try to meet on middle ground. My loyalty is with NCBA, but it was interesting hearing the talks of the founders of R-Calf and ICON (Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska).

This industry is in a world of hurt when when R-CALF opens their program with a prayer than goes on to convince producers that Canadian UTM beef and cattle are unsafe with a total disregard for the precautionay measures that both countries have taken.

Short term economic gain is favored over telling the truth to say nothing of how these reckless lies could come back to haunt our industry.

This deception following a prayer literally turned my stomach.

~SH~

They are very convincing. That is why they have such a large following. It is so easy to believe what they say. You go against a lot of people and principal when you doubt or question what they promote.

You don't think those folks drank the Kool-Aid because they didn't like and revere the guy who told them to drink it, do you?

I also listened, The fellow from Nebraska didn't seem to alarmed about the U.S. packing industry moving north. I guess he doesn't understand the "BASIS" . That is the cost of doing business with the U.S. The difference in exchange, Transportation to the plants, and related costs such as bonding and insurance. Also carcasses are weighed with out heart ,liver and tongue and some kidney fat. I', sure the Alberta boys would like that. But wait a minute. If the U.S doesn't take Canadian cattle should U.S. cattle beable to come north?
Leo said R-CALF was responsible for getting COOL passed. Even sandhusker should have been able to hear that. Where is M'ID to validate M'COOL.

R-CALF was just using the "Consumer "group to get media attention. Yea right, who is being used?

Leo went on about the Harvard Risk assesment. He only told half the story. Canada's systems mirriored the U.S.'s Same feed ban implementation dates ect.

They are worried about importing contaminated SRM's . Shouldn't be a problem if they have the effective feed ban that they say they do.

I like "APPLE PIE" but this crap is to much to swallow.

Hat I listened as well said:
Resposne...Populist agendas always sound believable. That does not make them valid especially when they are conceived from misinformation.

Bull Burger said:
Listened to the radio talk. Leo said:

Canada still processes downer cows, USA does not. Is this twisting facts? What's the real scoop?

Canada's 3 cow were not in our food chain Why would anyone take a downer to town and tie up alright precious slaughter space. And if you did you would only get a bill for her disposal. Where is the logic. but the US on the other hand is didffernt as you have lots of slaughter space and according to the U.S when asked Are all cattle inspected prior to slaughter? the US said

No animal that shows signs of systemic illness and disease is allowed into the human food supply

but later on further explanation they said

Cattle that are supect for any reason are examined by an FSIS veterinarian to determine whether the animal is eligible for slaughter. Cattle that show signs of systemic illness and disease are comdemned and not allowed into the human food supply. The brains from animals that exhibit signs of neurological impairment during inspection are submitted for testing and analysis by the USDA's National Veterany Services Laboratories. The mark of inspection will not be applied to carcasses and parts of cattle selected for BSE testing until the sample is determined to be negitive. Only if tests results are negative will the carcass and parts of cattle pass, recieve the mark of inspection, and be released into the system.

Neurological impairment is a target sign for BSE. BSE is a disease so why is this animal being release into the food supply if no cattle showing signs of disease enter the human food supply?

Tam, "Neurological impairment is a target sign for BSE. BSE is a disease so why is this animal being release into the food supply if no cattle showing signs of disease enter the human food supply?"

If the animal has been tested and found negetive, why would you not send it down the line?

Sandhusker said:
Tam, "Neurological impairment is a target sign for BSE. BSE is a disease so why is this animal being release into the food supply if no cattle showing signs of disease enter the human food supply?"

If the animal has been tested and found negetive, why would you not send it down the line?

Read this again .>Cattle that are supect for any reason are examined by an FSIS veterinarian to determine whether the animal is eligible for slaughter. Cattle that show signs of systemic illness and disease are comdemned and not allowed into the human food supply. The brains from animals that exhibit signs of neurological impairment during inspection are submitted for testing and analysis by the USDA's National Veterany Services Laboratories. The mark of inspection will not be applied to carcasses and parts of cattle selected for BSE testing until the sample is determined to be negitive. Only if tests results are negative will the carcass and parts of cattle pass, recieve the mark of inspection, and be released into the system.

First they say they are condemed then they say they test them and send them down the line.

Latest posts