• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tears fall

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My wife is an emergency room RN here pay for working nights is a bit over $42 an hour. She keeps going to school learning more getting a better degree which they pay her for in more wages I hate school and told her I'd be happy with what she's making but she's a go getter.

Some people are'nt worth $10 an hour and most of the time those are the people wanting those jobs not that they really want a job. All of the good help thats went thru my trailer/training facility are now making between $70,000 and a $130,000 a year 3 of them are crew foremans the other one just likes to work but hates to manage. I would love to have those 4 guys working here but in my small margin business it can't afford them so I get some wet behind the ears young fellow he'll stay for a year or two and about then he's worth alot of money and someone doing higher margin big profit type work will end up with a top hand. These 4 guys are my best friends in this world and will drop anything if needed to this day and that's pretty satisfing.

I should mention all the bad help is either in jail or drawing welfare.

Denny said:
My wife is an emergency room RN here pay for working nights is a bit over $42 an hour. She keeps going to school learning more getting a better degree which they pay her for in more wages I hate school and told her I'd be happy with what she's making but she's a go getter.

Some people are'nt worth $10 an hour and most of the time those are the people wanting those jobs not that they really want a job. All of the good help thats went thru my trailer/training facility are now making between $70,000 and a $130,000 a year 3 of them are crew foremans the other one just likes to work but hates to manage. I would love to have those 4 guys working here but in my small margin business it can't afford them so I get some wet behind the ears young fellow he'll stay for a year or two and about then he's worth alot of money and someone doing higher margin big profit type work will end up with a top hand. These 4 guys are my best friends in this world and will drop anything if needed to this day and that's pretty satisfing.

I should mention all the bad help is either in jail or drawing welfare.

Sad to say, some people don't want a JOB, they just want a CHECK!

Damn I feel plumb terrible workin meskins and not payin em $10 hr, I usually pay them what they are worth.
A couple of them must believe they are treated fair they been living on the ranch many years.
Good luck

Seldom do you get more than you are willing to pay for. We have a few Mexican Mennonites around here that out work any and all comers.

HAY MAKER said:
Damn I feel plumb terrible workin meskins and not payin em $10 hr, I usually pay them what they are worth.
A couple of them must believe they are treated fair they been living on the ranch many years.
Good luck

You could send me a couple with winter hair on them. The average Southerner seems to shiver like a Corriente steer.

gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:
Good luck

You could send me a couple with winter hair on them. The average Southerner seems to shiver like a Corriente steer.

I bet they'd work out fine they've adapted to our weather here and are flourishing

Denny said:
gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:
Good luck

I bet they'd work out fine they've adapted to our weather here and are flourishing

Well be careful you don't want em to get too thick up there they can sure be a problem when they git to drinking that mescal
Good luck

GRnCrk, ain't you ever heard of a meskin hairless?
Now you can some work outa one of those.
Good luck

One of our daughters lives in High River & tried to hire a kid (13/14 yr old) to do some babysitting recently. She got "sticker shock" when a prospective babysitter told her that the going rate is $14/hr. The economy is pretty good here in Alberta but $14/hr??? Sara needed 4 hrs of childcare so guess who stepped up to the plate for free? Yep, Grandma & Grandpa!

What an interesting thread to read.

I live in a country where the government is openly hostile to private enterprise, often seeming to do everything possible to make the private sector fail.

It's a constant struggle to keep ahead of the retro-active labor laws that are passed here.

Government: if a female employee becomes pregnant, she's entitled to 6 months of leave with pay. The people cheer.

Government: Starting May 1 the work day will be 6 hours in length at the same pay scale one was earning for 8 hours a day. The people cheer.

Government: All workers will earn a guaranteed minimum wage of XXX bs per month and employers are required to pay XXX bs per month to cover food costs. The people cheer.

Government: We will control the price of meat, milk, eggs, bread, etc. The people cheer.

Of course, how does private enterprise respond? The either fold their tents (along with the jobs they were providing) or, like me, they just do most of the work themselves and hire only when ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Meat, milk, eggs, bread.......all very affordable indeed. Almost impossible to find, but very affordable.

Watching politics in the US from a distance, I see so many things taking place there that are absolute precursors for what is happening here.

I'm not optimistic about the future of a once great, hard-working, and productive country.

Latest posts